How come alt rock is a dead genre these days?

How come alt rock is a dead genre these days?

Other urls found in this thread:

wovenhand.bandcamp.com/album/star-treatment
wovenhand.bandcamp.com/track/the-hired-hand
youtube.com/watch?v=QuiuySl23JM
youtube.com/watch?v=gDr7aTfBffU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Electronically produced music took over 2 decades ago

Because it's outdated and tired

techno/EDM is a fad

bc its splintered into subgenres

wtf is alt rock anyway

So is all the new "80's" style bands but it seems like we get at least 500 new ones every year

Dinosaur Jr are still doing shit

90's style rock
We need newer bands though

Rock made in the 90s

One word: poptimism

Look it up sheeple. The popists have taken control of music criticism and killed rock music.

Electronic music / hip hop > pop > rock

Alternative Rock died when it stopped being alternative.

The whole reason SLTS and grunge got so massive in the first place was that it gave rockers anthems that were still gritty (relatively speaking, it's easy to scoff nowadays and go "HUE, BUT LE 80S PUNK SCENE" because you're a millenial faggot who can download the entire 80s punk scene at the click of the button)

By the time bands like fucking Matchbox 20 were getting tagged as 'alternative' ... well, you just know that means it's over

wovenhand.bandcamp.com/album/star-treatment
released September 9, 2016

This. But I feel like a lot of the so called alt rock scene were just regular rock bands with pop songs trying to make it, from REM and the Pixies to the Strokes. Nowadays, there's all the stuff unter the psychedelic umbrella (stoner, neopsych, Garage Rock, etc.), all that noisy grunge revival stuff (bands like METZ, Iceage, Odonis Odonis) and the whole shoegaze scene which all make 'alternative' rock music exclusively for people who enjoy their music instead of trying to reach the lowest common denominator of alt radio rock stations and MTV.

nice bauhaus ripoff
wovenhand.bandcamp.com/track/the-hired-hand

youtube.com/watch?v=QuiuySl23JM

idk i just feel like bands who would've been labeled as "alt rock" in the early 90s have just branched out from that scene

music develops, this is a good thing

REM were pretty fuckin bizarre and unique in their early years though, sure it was still pop music in structure but it was very alternative.

Actually they were probably the first band of the whole alternative movement to "sell out". Can't complain since we got AFTP from that, but it's still interesting to see how an underground movement gets watered down for the masses until it's barely even recognisable. I mean the only thing 90s REM really has in common with 80s REM is the people playing the music.

As a broke dude in a band I gotta say I understand any and every rock musician who 'sells out'. It's not like you can't still release weird fucking music if you're good (Radiohead being the prime example I guess).
And yeah, REM were really the precedent if you don't count acts like The Doors who for their time were a total mindfuck for the people.

>poptism
This shit makes me want to act like an edgy teenager, wearing nazi uniforms with "ROCKIST" emblazoned on them and nazi-style armbands with a crossed out Taytay face.

real nazis are real poptimists

literally fourth reich anthem
youtube.com/watch?v=gDr7aTfBffU

>alt rock
>implying
>90's style rock
>Rock made in the 90s
Let me laugh louder.

Because real rock don't exist anymore so it's all alt rock and then it's just rock i mean how are u at when the og don't exist anymore then u are just it if u get what im sayin

Lol
Kill yourself