WHAT THE fuck

happened to rock's mainstream appeal? Apart from ""indie"" """"""""""""""""""""rock""""""""""""""""""", it's pretty much dead to plebs and normies. Here's my oversimplified hypothesis:

>2000
Radiohead releases the "Kid A" meme and critics laud it as a bold and fearless "rock" album with an emphasis on complaining

>2001
JEW'S Bleed American makes emo mainstream and as you know that genre has an emphasis on complaining and doing jackshit flourishing bands like Dashboard Confessional, Bright Eyes, Brand New, Circa Survive, Fall Out Boy etc.

>2003-2006
Once underground acts like The White Stripes, Modest Mouse, and Death Cab for QT become mainstream, releasing their softest sounding material yet again with an emphasis on complaining, see also Coldplay.

>2007-2010
Radiohead continues their bullshit by releasing "In Rainbows". Meanwhile other great but pussified bands startup like Vampire Weekend, Keane and Tame Impala

>2010s present
With Pitchfork becoming the de facto hipster underground publication, they decide what's hot and what's not, thereby spearheading bullshit artists like Best Coast, Wavves, No Age, Japandroids, Fucked Up, Courtney Barnett, Dirty Projectors etc, making them the figureheads of ""rock". The mainstream fun appeal of rock was killed by Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire when they decided to release pretentious pieces of garbage (AM, Reflektor).

Normies wanted to have fun so ditched rock altogether. I DOUBLE DARE YOU, go to any old schmuck and play them maybe an Andrew W.K or some cringey nu metal and listen to them tell you how "scary" it sounds.

Fuck you Muse, Radiohead, The Killers, Arctic Monkeys, Coldplay, Jack White, Connor Oberst and Modest Mouse. You killed all the fun out of rock.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=li-adM-qOwI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This is going to be a copypasta along the lines of "1910 - music started", and OP will deserve it because he's a fucking retard.

>vampire weekend
>great
You just invalidated your opinion

Why do you not consider indie rock rock music? Is it because you don't like it, because that doesn't really count.

Nice pasta

>Meanwhile other great but pussified bands startup like Vampire Weekend, Keane and Tame Impala
>Keane

my fucking sides

>Keane
>2007
>startup
>great

fug my mistake whoops

I can only hope it gets that popular mane

>JEW'S Bleed American makes emo mainstream

That happened in mid 00s actually. You can blame American Idiot for that.

Dunno man FOB, MCR, JEW and Dashboard were already getting mainstream before american idiot. Plus Blink 182 tried a bit of emo with their self titled

Nothing is stopping you from listening to the good stuff. never understand why u fucks care about what the mainstream likes

Everything that you wrote was a total waste of time.

Here is what happened to rock music: millennials pirated it until it made rock music tours commercially unviable.

Unfortunately everybody believes the "bands only make money on touring so I'll just go see them" meme to justify their piracy, but what actually happens is that a label will fund the fucking tour in the first place by selling CDs.

If you don't buy anything, the labels get nothing, the bands don't go on tour and the music business contracts until it reaches an equilibrium, and that point is where there are few enough bands that choice is sufficiently restricted to channel enough of the diminished pool of music buyers that the tours can be funded.

So there you have it, thanks to all of you cunts and your shitty trackers and torrents, all of you helped to become the most entitled, shitty, selfish uncreative generation of all time. You killed rock bands, closed concert venues and ruined everything.

this

>implying you weren't in on the act

I know OP is baiting this entire thread but Vampire Weekend are fantastic.

nice meme faggot. Please explain hip hop artists who should've as well been affected by this but are now the defacto party soundtrack with EDM?

Rock is dead because rock bands aren't making good music anymore.

Oh Pee here. VW are great. Their production certainly outweighs faggots that everyone sucks up to like Courtney Barnett

oh look it's another old person/shill who can't deal with the fact that the times are a-changing, go lobby for 200 year copyright or something you fucking faggot

pirated fl studio is all they need
not forgetting they can shit out music in a faster quantity than majority of rock bands

I like her too. Great thing about music is you can like multiple bands and genres.

Do you honestly not comprehend the fucking cost difference between moving around a full fucking band of people, a drum kit, guitars, synths, lighting rigs and all of that shit in comparison to one nigger, a microphone and a CD player?

The rise of this shitty music is precisely BECAUSE of the effect, hence why EDM saw a large rise also.

In fact it's not the case that hip hop and EDM have gotten more popular, it's just that rock has been increasingly forced out of the market due to how commercially unviable touring is.

You're missing out on great rock music.

>it's the "electronic and hip-hop music is cheaper and easier to make than rock" meme again

>oh look it's another old person/shill who can't deal with the fact that the times are a-changing

It's little dickless fucking turds like you that made Kanye headline Glastonbury

how is that Sup Forums
its true and you know it. its much cheaper for a dj to bring his macbbook then a full band

Just because he says nigger doesn't mean he's a racist who should go back to Sup Forums retard, his point still stands.

>implying touring matters in this day and age
>implying most artists nowadays don't make a majority of their profit from streaming
Go listen to DSOTM or something gramps

>it's le millenials!!!
You're a meme

Are you retarded????????
profit from streaming??????????

Did your record label fire you or something? Kill yourself my man.

Yes

Don't believe the attention-seeking lies of old dadrockers

What's your issue with Kanye friend?

Honestly I don't like her at all. the MUSIC part of it is really bland to me and her lyrics are like reading through someone's diary with schizophrenia.

Old people hate Kanye

>not forgetting they can shit out music in a faster quantity than majority of rock bands

This is true, plus I think hip hop nowadays has a tonne of inspiration from dubstep, edm, idm and ambient so they can be trendy, instantaneous and make the catchiest beats

youtube.com/watch?v=li-adM-qOwI

A lot of music touches on mental illness. What's your point?

I dunno, I just find other singer songwritiers to be more interesting and coherent. that's all

>Arctic Monkeys, 21 Pilots, Imagine Dragons are all rock bands which still make shit tons of money
oops, maybe its something else

>it's just that rock has been increasingly forced out of the market due to how commercially unviable touring is.

WOW I disagree. I think rock's demise is solely because it can't keep up with the pace rappers and edm artists output stuff. Touring for an artist is lucrative as fuck

yeah thats true. But i feel like hip hop has a great way of keeping their fans constantly hyped about their music. even if the "mixtape" isn't good its still something.

Rock is gonna have to start releasing b-sides and demos like mac demarco does in between albums to keep their fans interested

but it is. Eve pop rock can't keep up with something you can put in FL

this

Are you a 17 year old girl who goes to Coachella?

Yeah, no. If you'd ever used FL Studio then you'd know that it takes as much time to make a good track in FL as it does in a rock band. You don't just press the button and have the computer make your music.

It's because no rock artists aren't making any music that isn't terribly cliche, boring, derivative, and hipster.

Also fuck hipsters, I fucking hate how their culture and aesthetic has thoroughly permeated underground music. We need a new aesthetic. I imagine that a punk-esque cultural rebellion is due soon from angry white kids, as a rejection of both boring indie music and retarded nigger pop/rap.

>one nigger, a microphone and a CD player
Kanye's next album title.

>Pitchfork's Best New "Music"

Not even once

Yeah. Now with social media shit moves incredibly fast and rappers/electronic artists are happy to deliver. Plus especially with edm you can remix shit.

As I keep saying now the #1 way to sell something is hype. Quality is irrelevant. This even transcends to things like video games eg No Man's Sky

um gucci mane,metro boomin,lil b and bones say hi

Pitchfork celebrates and rewards mediocrity.

I kek'd hard

oh boy they really did suck rock's cock back then. Too bad it should've been rap and edm. Thisnk of how many more successful mainstream and cult hip hop/edm artists we'd have now?

Honestly Kanye works best when he's alone

>I imagine that a punk-esque cultural rebellion is due soon from angry white kids, as a rejection of both boring indie music and retarded nigger pop/rap.

The closest thing I can think of is Odd Future. For a while they were everywhere and popular with a "I don't give a fuck" attitude. It didn't matter if the music was mainstream they were just edgy as fuck, and that's how you get something popular. Either that or be sentimental as fuck

her vocals are alright at first but but start growing off you and their "deadpan" nature gets grating as fuck at the same pace you realise all awful her lyrics are - generally just unpleasant. I had her EPs and album on my computer for a while and listened to them a bit a while ago but I deleted them becaude holy fuck I just couldnt stand her any more after repeated listens

but thats just my opinion ofc

Odd Future was too stupid and also steeped in rap convention. It was as much cultural rebellion as KISS.

What punk had was an iconoclasm in every element and an undercurrent of irony and intellectualism that gave it it's sense of immediacy and danger. Odd Future talked about rape and killing and stuff, but that isn't edgy in this day and age, especially not in rap.

m8 its already here
the weird frontier and the post industrial reggaeton scene

Both would broadly fall under indie aesthetics

Also the weird frontier is a shockingly creatively bankrupt genre

>iconoclasm in every element and an undercurrent of irony and intellectualism that gave it it's sense of immediacy and danger

lol if you cut out the danger part you could call that vaporwave but I wouldn't really call vapormeme mainstream

I never thought that vaporwave was anything more than a forced juvenile attempt at ironic postmodernism

80s revival and "a new aesthetic" are kind of at odds with each other

>Also the weird frontier is a shockingly creatively bankrupt genre

Not their fault normies want celebrities to worship. the weird frontier keeps to themselves
but yeah I think something is brewing soon. can't wait to see it

The target audience for those Bands aren't smart enough to pirate their music, so they making a killing on iTunes selling their music $1 per song.

Uh oh looks like you didn't comprehend the point, back to the beginning you go:

> the music business contracts until it reaches an equilibrium, and that point is where there are few enough bands that choice is sufficiently restricted to channel enough of the diminished pool of music buyers that the tours can be funded.

Do you understand what this means?

This thread proves that bleeptards, rapfags and poptimists have completely takern over this board now

>What punk had was an iconoclasm in every element and an undercurrent of irony and intellectualism that gave it it's sense of immediacy and danger.

And also it was the one genre that had the strongest anticommercial principles which decades later resulted in Iggy Pop appearing in car insurance adverts and John Lydon appearing in butter adverts.

It's like they were trying to be as hypocritical and empty as possible.

was it just kinda all metal before then?

I assume you're talking about hipster music rather than music hipster music (we are the latter)

due to the internet it will probably never become an actualized physical movement, more likely something like shoegaze which according to Chris Ott was "lonely teenagers in their bedrooms listening to Sometimes".

yeah but people who pirate will never admit that it hurts the industry, it's convenient for them, so 'music lovers' will never stop. It's easier to complain about the problem than to do anything about it.