Canada cannot currently meet its commitments to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization and the North American Aerospace...

>Canada cannot currently meet its commitments to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization and the North American Aerospace Defense Command with its aging fleet of CF-18s.
>The former Conservative government originally intended to buy 65 Lockheed Martin F-35s, with deliveries slated to begin in 2016.
>In the last federal election campaign, the Liberals unequivocally ruled out buying the stealth bomber for the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) and promised to purchase a "lower priced" option.

Why do countries keep trying to fob off their defense duties instead of spending the money to protect their people? Why is there such a culture of weakness in many countries?

Other urls found in this thread:

baka.com.au/national/defence-set-to-buy-super-hornets-over-cuttingedge-fighter-20130127-2df02.html
airforce.gov.au/Technology/Aircraft/Super_Hornet/?RAAF-4dRvdvKuGAokY31UEml0P KGoMiO8n/o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

they should go back to spitfires and lancasters tbн

Please just kill us already, I hate this country. Don't get me wrong, I hate your country too, which is why I said kill. Use us for nuclear testing or something just destroy us while we still have some little dignity.

They obviously dont plan to owe 100% of their yearly output.

This country is fucking pathetic. Every day I wish I were American, not to say that America isn't a total piece of shit (it is, and Trump isn't going to fix it), but at least the people aren't such lazy smug liberal cunts and have a shred of identity and self respect.

You make it sound like all of us were trying to fob off defense duties, and not just Trudeau in his quest to not kill his enemies.

Canada should invest in ice breakers, submarines.

I don't think you understand, NATO exists purely to serve US interests.
Countries don't commit to it because nobody actually believes in it.

I don't give a shit. Either way my tax dollars will get wasted on something retarded.

Do you want us to repeal the Canada Act senpaitachi?

Trudeau was a mistake desu

CAN WE GET RID OF THE FUCKING 60 YEARS OLD SEAKINGS INSTEAD REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I don't know what that is but it'll back fire on you.

You don't like that pokemon?

>buying super hornet instead of lightning ii
Isn't that like buying an xbox360 instead of a ps4? Why would you do that

It's too late for us

>Complains latest and greatest jets in design and production at the bequest of a group of important allies are too expensive
>Proceeds to blow money on a useless token purchase to maintain a facade of having a barely functioning air force

Normally I'm not for excessive defence spending but this is quite retarded.

Disband NATO
Disband NAFTA
Disband U.N.

▲▲

He's got to go.

How did Canada go from being best ally in WW2 to this?

Why do Americans keep pushing an unfinished and poorly tested F-35 on other countries?

Even your own defence reports say the plane has been rushed through testing.

We are not going to spend billions and billions on planes that we will have to spend billions and billions more in upgrades just because they weren't properly finished when we bought them.

We buy Hornets as a holdover until after the F-35 is properly tested. Then upgrade to F-35s in the 2020s. It saves money in the long run.

Do you understand?

>unfinished and poorly tested
>this meme again

P U R E

The French.

The Liberal Party post-WW2 has been nothing but pure evil

The eternal Quebecois

I really fucking hate Canadian posters on here.

Look at all these bitching cunts whine about being Canadian. It's pathetic.

End yourselves.

Things are not going well for us. We can't keep going on pretending that everything is fine.

Americans have an indomitable spirit, as bad as things get they at least persevere and seek to innovate/make change in their lives.

Canadians can't even be bothered to the point we'd rather just become Americans so we can feel less constrained.

God, shut the fuck up already. Every single one of you shits that sing that tune are the same type who constantly trash this country day in and day out. There's not a single country on Sup Forums that does this.

Not Sweden, not Germany, not even Mexico or Brazil.

Have a shred of self-respect, you limp wristed faggot.

Remember to vote Liberal™ next election! Your vote matters!

We should just start our own drone program, famalams. Why spend a fuckton on manned jets when they are the way of the past? The USA has already done the bulk of the work by inventing the Predator.

Fuck outta here oilnigger

isn;t this the best example of why this countyr is shit though?
people like those ITT have zero will to do anything to change it and just give up immediately if something isn't easy.

really sad honestly that we've come to this.

The RELIABLE technology for unmanned fighters just isn't here yet.

For example automated pass machines and rebound boards are nice, but it's no replacement for a teammate feeding passes to you.

Its sad how we somehow have the biggest accumulation of pussies with no self-respect posting under the leaf.

This thread is a good example. Bunch of dickless runts looking for any reason to hate themselves. Like fuck sakes, more than 3/4ths of NATO don't owe up to their fair share of defense spending.

Wish I could crack some skulls ITT tbqh famalam

I don't hate Canadians I hate our government and the faggots who put up with their bullshit.

I don't know wtf is going on right now, there are 3 or 4 Canada threads right now filled with self hating canadians. I'm upset

>Like fuck sakes, more than 3/4ths of NATO don't owe up to their fair share of defense spending.

Yeah but those are europeans, it's almost expected of them. IIRC Canada had the third biggest navy in the world after WWII and one of the biggest air forces. Sad how it is now.

>I'm upset

I feel for you user. I have to deal with this in my state

then get involved
join the PC party and vote for a candidate.

>Canada had the third biggest navy in the world after WWII
because every other country was in ruins
and most of our navy was supply ships.

Welcome to my world

meh, just follow our lead, Americans have consistently blocked our efforts to try and modernoze our armed forces through bocking our buying cost effective capable assets from other countries and forcing us instead to get their overpriced junk through "aid" programs really only meant to dole out pork to their military-industrial complex.

The idea is we never become a threat to them and are forced to rely on them for our own defense, which because of our own geographic position they'd rather handle themselves than trust to us.

The end result is we get free defense under no treaty obligations just for not allying with Russia or China.

>mfw when Trump figures out at some point he may go down in history as the president who pushed Mexico to allow America's geopolitic rivals to build bases on it's territory.
Personally I'm all for freedom of movement with Iran and best Korea.

>Canadiasn whining about CF-18s
Ja... ja... ja...
Kill me

>>mfw when Trump figures out at some point he may go down in history as the president who pushed Mexico to allow America's geopolitic rivals to build bases on it's territory.

You would then have the NSA and CIA so far up your ass you won't know what to do. If I were in power I'd destabilize (even more than it is) your country if you so much as wished NK or Iran a buenos noches

No need to be rude tbhfam

What would you need real jets for? The Canalmanians? Migrant Guetemalans? Second French invasion?

Tbh they should get some A-10s for CAS to btfo the cartels

All of the above
Those F-5 are actually over tasked at the moment, we do need something new and Air Force is actually protesting for new gear

>CIA
We are crashing this plane with no survivors

You don't get to bring amigos

You merely adopted the dark gringo

>bothering with your military when america has to protect you anyway

you should have gone the nz route of having a defence policy that's basically "if shit happens, we need australia or the us to step in otherwise we're fucked"

repeal the 1776 treaty too tbqh

That's like living in in the north of Australia using a paddle boat instead of motorboat

Not all countries have no self-respect

what do you expect trump to do when mexico refuses the bill

nato needs to be gone

steal all their agave

>18 super hornets
Wow that's so many omg.

>all those airplanes
>you still need permission to enter our airspace

lol

>Ameriga wants to be global hegemon.
>Bitches when they have to protect their hegemony.

That's how countries with respect to each other are expected to behave.

The world ain't ready for us to go FULL HEGEMON

>all those planes
>and still we let ourselves in without your permision

It's fully Trudeaus political bullshit. The defence minister knows whatsup. If it wasn't for Sajjan we wouldn't be buying any jets at all.

That sort of was the cold war.

He should wrap his turban around weedman's neck

The world should have another.

Canada really has no need for a military at all, other than a basic coast guard. They're America's hat.

rude.

They've got shifty Russians bordering them, of course they have a need for a military.

Stop pretending to be stupid.

We should be capable of pulling some weight, period.

You're right about the Navy, as someone said here we should be buying icebreakers and submarines to deter Russia from fucking with the Arctic.

Which Harper planned to do but you know.

kek, he'll get his hands full of spines

le fedora tip

>Why do countries keep trying to fob off their defense duties instead of spending the money to protect their people?

Protect from what? The only theats out there are some human bomb muslims and they won't fly on their magic carpets. Oh, yeah, and North Korea, but they only hate Japan and the USA

This is actually one of the best options for us. I've been saying this for years now.

Anyone who thinks that we should buy F-35s, which are overpriced, untested, and likely inappropriate in the Arctic, should take a 9mm hollowpoint suppository. But I don't expect the OP to understand anything about this, so I don't fault him for that.

As for the Canadian posters here, why are my countrymen ITT so misguided? Do you like flushing money down the toilet? Who are you going to use these F-35s against? Think critically for a moment: where will we be fighting in the next 10-20 years? What will be our mission? We will 99% be participating in a multinational coalition in some sandcountry. We don't need F-35s for that.

And if you think we're going to war with Russia, you've been reading too much propaganda. Even so, a few dozen F-35s (which are not useful in the Arctic, where an attack on Canadian soil would likely take place) wouldn't stand a chance against Russia.

If anything, what we need to do is focus on building up our navy.

Do you realise Alaska is part of the USA?

>tfw just purchased 12 new submarines

Having the US spend its money and send its own soldiers to die on your behalf is an awfully attractive proposition. They even volunteer to keep their troops at such posts, if you can believe it.

>tfw america tells them where to go

it's actually the worst option

either completely replace old Hornets with Super Hornets, Eurofighters, Cessna 172 or whatever. Buying 18 Super Hornets and then just being like idk we'll think about the rest of our 75 fighters later is going to cost more in the long run. Because now you might just buy 60 F-35s which is going to be way more expensive than just buying 100 in the first place.

They'll mostly be used as a coast guard to repel the Indonesians and Chinese from fucking around in our neck of the woods. Of course we'll also be participating in some war games around the South China Sea, got to keep up appearances and all.

Do you realize their is something called the Artic Circle?

Sounds like a good time though

>he thinks a land invasion is feasible from the North

chuckling

Russia mucks about underwater and tries to claim arctic territory that is not theirs. That is why we need a strong presence in the North.

It doesn't have to be about land invasion. If you can't enforce your territorial sovereignty when you're next to Russia you risk a slow annexation.

Fair deuce

>buying overpriced f35 junk
hahahahahahahahahaha

And when the north polar icecap melts expect to see this a lot more.

name 1

>overpriced, untested, and likely inappropriate in the Arctic
hahaha MEMES

Chances are they won't get anything under a Trump presidency, nevermind we won't have the money the US won't authorize anything, it's going to be at least another 4-8 years until we get replacements

Build wall and we'll give you jets

Feels bad
But Im a supporter of getting european jets, those saab ones look good, no need for air superiority jets just shit to patrol our cunt

>tfw no fighters
>tfw no tonks
>tfw only 2 frigates

>stockpiling weapons during peacetime
are you retarded? it's not even the cold war anymore

Hey at least you get mad hektik LMT rifles now.

No

The Saabs are overpriced, obsolete and about as subject to American embargo as anything made in the US

Under normal circumstances whatever the US air force would have chosen as replacement for the T-38 talon would have been our ideal choice, even if it was a LIFT it would be a trans-sonic with a glass cockpit which is our for practical purposes real requirements. Interceptors don't really need good dogfighting atributes anymore, just beyong line of sight armament and that whatever we would get in that regard would be up to the US anyway, all we really need is something capable for intercepting comercial jets and credible enough deterrence in a local conflict (central America/Caribbean) which ironically enough we get already with the TC-6 Texans on just sheer numbers. Personally I think pictured would've been perfect and on a price tag for brand new we might have actually been able to afford a couple of dozen, but the US would've never let us get those even if fucking weaponized trainers are no fucking threat to them. It certainly would beat the waste of money used f-16s, the top brass favorite, would become.

Except with drumpf now in the white house we won't get clearance for anything, meaning the only way get aything is things go really bad with the Americans AND there's actually a pressing operational need (fucking ISIS blows one of our offshore rigs or something) in which case we might get something Russian or Chinese, probably used.

If the F-5s go out of service in the meantime we get a friendly American govrnment chances are our politicians will wrongly conclude we didn't really need a fighter after all and the project might get delayed either until we actually do develop something local (which there's a good chance it means never) or some cheap drone that can credibly do the job comes on the market, either way we are looking at a beyond 2030 window.

>Trump telling US allies who spent less than 2% of their GDP on defence to lift their game or fuck off
>Australia already spends 2% and is expected to rise through more US sales in the near future

>Trump wants a $500 billion expansion of the military to totally not fight China
>Australia offered our facilities to build ships, planes and armoured vehicles for the US to help achieve this goal.

tfw your cunt will continue to be a strong ally with Trumpmerica

huh that's interesting we had this exact debate (other than the NATO stuff) a few years ago. Deciding whether to buy super hornets to fill a gap in capability while we waited for new planes. We ended up buying 24 of them for AU$2billion in 2013.

baka.com.au/national/defence-set-to-buy-super-hornets-over-cuttingedge-fighter-20130127-2df02.html

airforce.gov.au/Technology/Aircraft/Super_Hornet/?RAAF-4dRvdvKuGAokY31UEml0P KGoMiO8n/o

Someone should drop a nuke on canada