Hi this board

hi this board
what does Sup Forums think of punk rock?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tC97caHUgKk
youtube.com/watch?v=Lj8emUhESeA
youtu.be/78Gu8jD6yec
youtu.be/b42ciOEx6yE
youtu.be/z7MPzv78cWs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

cool pins

Punk and it's offspring subgenres are my favorite.

thanks

Punk died when it became political

It was cool when I was 16

It sounds like crap to me now though

The fact that Sid Vicious is a punk icon is probably the most damning thing about the genre. It promotes attitude over talent.
Of course, when a talented band makes punk music, it still ends up amazing.

Punk was at it's best when it made reactionary fascists uncomfortable.

so in the 70s?
funny cause thats the opposite for me
i like the punk attitude but i agree that sid was probably too much. he didnt even know how to play.

I actually went backwards and got into punk after being into post punk and emo.

Same. I got much more into hardcore and folk punk after already being into emo for quite a while.

punk was good
it's dead now though

no, its just underground.

youtube.com/watch?v=tC97caHUgKk

u're mums underground

The music can be alright but the hipster teenagers who think it's next level deep shit are cancer

wtf is this
:^(

2016 punk

one of the pins i have there is throwing rocks, i saw at an underground show that formed last year, they are pretty good
blink 182 isnt underground...

Great music, fanbase is either immature goofballs or old dudes

I meant 2016 mainstream punk

this is kinda mainstream too
youtube.com/watch?v=Lj8emUhESeA

I don't understand punk, and I don't understand Bruce Springsteen. I don't know why critics are so mean to prog or why people think it's inauthentic to try to be impressive. I don't know why Christgau hates everything I like or why it's so important to be stripped-down.

well you responded to that comment like you were refuting what i said with blink 182

i like punk music but i dont give a fuck about the culture of it

I was.

then that makes no sense. you said it was dead, i said it was underground, and you're trying to refute that good punk is underground by posting a band thats been mainstream for 20 years

punk is cool but that ferret is cooler

thanks, her name is Evee.

>you said it was dead
no that was someone else

>good punk is underground by posting a band thats been mainstream for 20 years
yeah and? that song is brand new.

Just curious, what do you guys think about Against Me?

Just found out about them and got into their older stuff. Then when I looked on the wiki about the band lineup, I was real confused about the actual band lineup, since it said that their current singer is Laura Jane Grace, and the vocalist is clearly a guy.

Then I found out he's trans. Now all their music is about trans stuff which is kind of a shame, since their music before was pretty fun.

I love punk, I'm really digging all of Pat's work right now
even though I'm not an anarchist his dissatisfaction with society seeps through his music and it's great

im not disputing that mainstream sucks
but im saying the good stuff is underground. which posting a blink 182 song does not refute.

Here's your (You) for bothering to type up all that lazy transphobe trash.

i can understand his pov if ALL their music is about being trans now, kinda sounds like its going sjw-y

The worst rock subgenre

If you are so entrenched in the status quo that the mere mention of social justice bothers you, then punk is not the genre for you.

well the original post I replied to was just that punk is not dead its just underground. There was nothing about the supposed quality although I think thats a perfectly fine song.

same senpai

oh, thanks for telling me what's for me. i should keep you around to tell me what I should be into.

its not the 'mere mention' if a band used to be real punk then suddenly starts going sjw just as its starting to take over the world is pretty lame. what status quo am I entrenched with?

Hey man cool it. Guy still has a great voice, which is good. Just saw a video of them performing Thrash Unreal a year ago and it looked good.

But I feel like nobody really talks about the band anymore, just about how the lead singer is trans now. I just want to hear stuff like their older stuff is what I'm saying.

I understand. Who gives a fuck if you're trans, just play music. i think this guy is sjw and pissed we aren't happy he's making a huge deal that he's trans.

Love all of Pat's work. Damn shame he dipped out of punk.

punk is dead and the punks killed it

didn't the lead singer of sex pistols make a fucking butter commercial

Johnny Hobo and Ramshackle Glory are cool, but I like WDU the most. That said, I like the "Never Trust a Man Who Plays Guitar" album more than Burn The Earth, it's way more raw and visceral

Do you even listen to punk? Punk bands have been making music about their hatred for fascism, racism, and homophobia for decades.

>going sjw just as its starting to take over the world
You sound like a clown.

>what status quo am I entrenched with?
Transphobia

HOw is that something bad? He never said that he was punk.

its not transphobia or homophobia to not be into a band thats basically shoving it down your throat... if you aren't into that, that's perfectly fine and understandable.

You don't have to listen to any band you don't want to. It is blatantly transphobic to deliberately misgender someone you know is trans.

I know nothing about the band or person he speaks of or if they are MTF or FTM, im just saying its understandable to not like a band that only sings about transexualism

I'm picky when it comes to the bands I listen to. I like when the genre floods over into alternative rock and garage rock. So yeah, it's cool.

Critics are looking for the efficient transmission of a concept. Prog rock isn't efficient; it values the act of transmission as much as or more than the concept itself. The critic doesn't necessarily value the transmission because it's not what they're looking for - they're looking for the concept.

The critic wants the minimum necessary to communicate, the prog artist values communication for its own sake. The critic views excess communication as obfuscation or dilution of the concept, the prog artist views it as a concept in and of itself.

The critics aren't always wrong, either. Since prog can't rely solely on having a strong central concept - other styles like punk do that much better - it needs to express it with absolutely premium material, or else really is just indulgent noise.

And Christgau is just a miserable gremlin regardless of circumstances. More pretentious than anyone he tried to criticize.

no wave was more punk than punk.

everything that led into punk and post-punk were much more musically interesting than punk ever was.

do you like the Violent Femmes?

This. Punk was just a gimmick. No Wave was the real deal.

The Saints are the only punk band worth the time of day.

genres can't live or die
they're tools, just put them to use

punk is a fun genre for some, but it requires little to no talent

i love racism, fascism, bigotry, the list could go on

i prefer hypergrunge

Cool ferret dude. Does it like punk too?

punk is awesome

You need no talent to make any form of music. It's imaginary. Punk isn't fun at all are you 12?

here we go again

>believing this
kekd

ferrets the most punk animal

I've never seen Green Day use an anchor symbol on one of their album covers. Are they releasing a new record? Man I hope it's as gritty and dirty as 21st Century Breakdown!

Fucked Up is literally the only Punk band I can stand.

Cranford Nix

youtu.be/78Gu8jD6yec

is that a ferret

real punk is reactionary and makes politically correct cucks uncomfortable

I have no problem with people being trans but I really thought that it was lame that they made an entire fucking album with every single song being about the same fucking thing. It got old. It's like breakup albums where the entire fucking thing is about some bad relationship. That's just lame...at least to me.
I like Placebo and sure there's a few songs here and there about it, but you can tell the singer has other shit to talk about other than this one single thing and that made it interesting. It's like yeah, I've got gender dysphoria but, I've also had other experiences to write about.
Even if he/she/whateverthefuckwhocares is trans I honestly felt like the album was trying to cash in on the current cultural climate and no matter how genuinely trans he may be, the entire album felt completely disingenuous.

Punk was never not political.
Your and idiot, kill you're selve

holy shit Sup Forums wasnt expecting to nostalgia on a punk thread today. christ where did my life go. gunna go dig up my old ipod now. thanks Sup Forums

Dear diary,

Today we learnt about gender issues on Sup Forums. I realized that I was being a huge faggot instead of OP. The reason that I was being a giant fag was because I was being transphobic. This made everyone mad at me. I sure did learn my lesson.

Sincerely,
Rudy Poo

The thing about trans people, at first you don't care you're happy for other people doing their own thing and all, but then they never shut up about their mentally ill delusions and think that it's they're the most important thing in the world. They constantly shame normal people and demand respect and attention, eventually getting into weird ideology and trying to take civilization down with them because they're so screwed up in the head personally, It's why I can't take any trans people seriously anymore.

punk leans left and is pretty anti-fascist though. the only things they say that could be made as anti-politically correct is if they say it ironically. unless you're a nazi in which case dead kennedys said it best.

agreed

:^)

Punk is reactionary in nature, it's always reacting to something, it has however been heavily appropriated by leftist ideologies and that's what it evolved into for the most part. A lot of original punks were just angsty white males who probably held right wing values without knowing it.

thats pretty much only applicable to new age punk, original punks wore the swastika and other such shock images, faggot tranny bands are the death of modern punk, a groundwork laid down by faggotry such as the clash and le ebin natsi fug off!
this, most people lump all punk into liberalism without even knowing anything about the vast majority of straight white working class males that make up punk
>thanks minorities

Just got out of prison for 3 years this was the 1st song I listened to.

youtu.be/b42ciOEx6yE

I fucking love NOFX

Garbage. THey stopped being good after their second album.

Once Laura went full "die cis scum" they stopped being good imo.

>he

What does Sup Forums think of the new Jeff Rosenstock track?

youtu.be/z7MPzv78cWs