Well. This is very good unexpectedly. Why do all metalfags hate this?

Well. This is very good unexpectedly. Why do all metalfags hate this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H2KsccOJy1w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm a fan of trve kvlt shit like Darkthrone, Burzum, Mayhem, etc and also "hipster" shit like Deafheaven and Wolves In The Throne Room, and I can honestly say that Liturgy is one of the worst "black metal" bands I've ever heard.

>metalfags
You answered your own question.

Stop thinking of it as black metal and you'll get it.

because metalfags are all about image, and it looks bad for them to like liturgy

if liturgy isnt really black metal, im really not sure what else you call it if it isnt black metal. its a case of it smells like a duck and sounds like a duck, but doesnt quite look like a duck. i blame metalfags for having ridiculously strict genre boundaries and then hating every album that slightly crosses a boundary. unless their favorite critic(s) like the album, then they make up a new sub-sub-genre for it.

sorry for the small rant, op. im frustrated with metalfags too.

I like Sunbather, and it's pink. You're wrong.

>i like a metal album that doesnt look like a metal album so you are wrong because i am the ultimate truth

>likes deafheaven
>doesn't like liturgy
could you get any more plebeian?

To be fair, New Bermuda was metalcore trash. Everything else is cool though.

because they secretly do take HHH too seriously (in terms of him being a threat to their "community" or at least as a symptom anyways), even though they constantly make fun of him. or maybe just because his insecurity is apparent. if he went the way of Deathspell Omega who are even more pretentious yet well respected, of concealing his identity his band would be "cool" to like. but that would be lame

>like Deafheaven and Wolves In The Throne Room
>Liturgy is one of the worst "black metal" bands I've ever heard
well yeah if you hate fun

sunbather is literally just explosions in the sky-tier bone-headed crescendo core with screaming.
>look guys a minor key resolving in its relative major. again.
it's all such uncreative, predictable songwriting. plus wtf is with the random samples about drug deals?

What's metalcore about it?

I love kvlt shit and I like Aesthetica. The Ark Work, on the other hand, is one of the worst albums I've ever heard.

how do you feel about kel valhaal?

stock midi instruments and yung lean vox is the new necro sound, better get used to it

and by that i mean the project, not the song

Honestly after how appalled I was after TAW I haven't bothered listening.

I will never. Damn avant-garde kids and their fucking garbage. If a band like Ulver can still make good weird music there's no reason HHH can go from Aesthetica to trash in a single album.

you should give this song a shot. kel valhaal completely severs any ties that hunter had to metal. it might be easier to appreciate outside the context of metal. you might also think it's shit, but i feel like you should at least try it.
youtube.com/watch?v=H2KsccOJy1w

it's not even weird. apart from the rapping it doesn't have anything that couldn't be found in garden variety symphoblack
>there's no reason
well he's an amateur producer but apparently felt like he had to do everything on his own anyways. he said that should change on the next liturgy album, that it should be more of a band effort, we'll see how that turns out

>on the next liturgy album
any word on when that is supposed to be? i'm really excited to see where the hell he's going to go from here.

HEEEEEEEEEEEY

HEEEEEEEEEEEY

>This is very good
>metalfags hate this

I'm sorry, what was your question?

It's not that good, not that bad, but got a fuckload of online backing from the internet hype machine. That's why metalfags hate it; the music is whatever, but kids like you eat up the hype and self-created 'controversy' around it.

Because HHH is a good looking dude, he's a successful artist and he has a qt performance artist gf.
He also doesn't wear a corpse paint.

>here is one example how I am wrong, but that's invalid because i am the ultimate truth

It's a very good album, I don't understand why people dislike this. It feels like droney noise rock with black metal elements, like the drumming. Solid effort.

some songs sound like math metal
like don caballero 2
i think that's why it's so good

I think the main reason is that it's a black metal album that appeals to non-black metal listeners. All of a sudden people who mostly listen to the Velvet Underground (perceived as 'hipsters' by metalheads) are listening to these fringe black metal bands and maybe saying something like 'finally black metal made some good music.' So bm fans feel patronized, and maybe even a little betrayed that their genre is being made palatable to that certain kind of music fan. I guess its like why punks got mad at black flag in the 80s for "My War"

The other thing is the article HHH wrote for the Hideous Gnosis zine, where he outlined 'transcendental black metal' as opposed to Norweigan BM-inspired black metal, and drew his project as kind of the opposite (actually a negation of) that music. It's really just a kind of inoffensive Adorno-inspired design brief, but a lot of people misunderstood what he was saying and thought he was denigrating black metal and saying his metal was better. The combination of the palatability to the pitchfork crowd and the seeming rejection of True black metal was enough to throw the black metal scene into a frenzy, I guess.

I think it's a great album!

It's shit at everything it tries to do.

The metal stuff? Weak riffs that lack meat with even weaker vocals that lack visceral intensity.

The mathy Shellac inspired stuff? Only the drums are able to keep up and that too on just a couple tracks.

The Glenn Branca/Swans minimalist stuff? There's nowhere near enough happening in each track after building up to justify such a progression.

The guys in it don't fit the traditional "kvlt" image of dudes with long hair and black make-up. Their music also has some mathy elements in it that sound distinct from the standard BM sound. There's a certain irony in that the first black metal groups were rebelling against tradition, but now Liturgy and Deafhaven don't get to be black metal because they're not traditional.

this explanation is spot on

people are too pleb to enjoy the album as a whole due to chanting and shit. and people dislike hunter hunt whatever but i don't get why that's a problem
people like kanye west's music and he's an ass, or burzum who has awful world views. but who cares if the music is nice.

ITT: plebs thinking they know shit about anything

yeah, you.

This.

xD epic comeback

Because it's not made by full out-metalheads like they think the trve stuff is. Also it has mathrock influences which isn't in your standard black metal i guess.

>Weak riffs that lack meat
see that's one of the reasons i dig it, that makes it stand out, it's going for a higher "bright" register rather than a low and guttural one. the one track that does veer into sludge metal sounds totally out of place and disappointing
Sun of Light has a fantastic riff btw

better than your retarded comment

Because it's gay and phony.
Blastbeats and tremolos dragged out of their 90's context and mindset sound like comedy rock. It's like Chinese balalaika music, a really bad joke.

I don't think that's really true. Black metal never rebelled against tradition - the first wave was just the ethos of heavy metal being continued - to play faster, louder, heavier, etc. (this is true for Venom, Sodom, Bulldozer, Root, Bathory, every metal band in brazil, etc. - whatever your consider the True First Wave) - and the 90s didn't really rebel against that, just changed its course. They took that tradition, of fast and extreme metal, extremely seriously, beyond just \m/ metul \m/ and into a kind of aesthetisized ideal existence of noble suffering, or whatever. Actually black metal, & metal as a whole, seems to exist in an alternate universe where music didn't advance past Wagner, where there was no Schoenberg or jazz/blues, where german idealism was not cast into history by Hegel and Marx, etc. Metal is *very* traditional and only rebellious in the way that reactionaries are rebellious - "stand[ing] athwart history yelling 'stop!' - it's a genre from the early 19th century. So it makes sense that there's such a negative reaction to metal that spoils the reactionary fantasy and incorporates modern classical tonality and Frankfurt School aesthetic theories (Liturgy, Jute Gyte, etc...)

That isn't what I meant though. Black metal in general always goes for the higher register, but even then it has riffs that sound meaty or just powerful. Aesthetica lacks powerful sounding riffs at any point period which along with the vocals is why it's so disliked by metal fans. It's like why not just do minimalist inspired math rock ala Shellac at that point if you just lazily wanted to have some black metal influences in there?

that's fair i guess but i just don't feel that it lacks power at any point. at least the performance is pretty energetic even when they use fairly bland riffs like in the opening track. having a more melodic shellac would be nice though

I can't divorce it from all of HHH's dumb, middlebrow artfag ideas. If he'd never written a manifesto or said/did all those other stupid fucking things, I'd probably appreciate it as a decent tech-black album

the weird thing is that whenever I say this, I get equal amounts of people telling me either that it's stupid to take HHH seriously, or that HHH's ideas are actually really coherent and interesting.

>Black metal never rebelled against tradition
what tradition? I can say the same about punk rock, which still was "rock" in the first place.

>there's no reason HHH can go from Aesthetica to trash in a single album.
this is what iv been saying for ages
they went from making a fucking masterpiece and one of my favourite records ever to absolute garbage in one album

the worst thing about it is that HHH has lost his sincerity, everything he does now is distanced by this post-modern irony. It's basically a defence mechanism to deflect criticism, so even if you hate it and think its a joke, he still wins because hes intentionally straddling the line between sincerity and irony, between being deadly serious and taking the piss

everything post Aesthethica has left a real bad taste in my mouth and changed the way i see his previous work aswell. When he was being serious about his philosophy to me it was fascinating, but this whole 'wink wink master post-modernist ruseman is this real or not' thing has ruined it.

I think all the hate got to him in the end and he felt like he needed a way to pretend he was joking the whole time in order to save face

man, this post started sensible and quickly turned into pseudointellectual bullshit. I think maybe people who enjoy a very atavistic, lowbrow music style simply dislike it when outsiders start treating it like a fancy art movement and writing essays and holding seminars about it (and they always focus narrowly on Burzum, maybe Mayhem, plus a few hip new American bands and continue to dismiss all the rest of metal as childish)

then when metalheads don't like it, the hipsters say they're just too image-conscious, or they're lacking the proper historical perspective (see: the "black metal was always about rebelling against tradition" argument), or something specious involving Hegelian dialectics/etc.

of course you'd be mad about the art-black-metal phenomenon when you're just trying to enjoy some fucking Archgoat and this bullshit starts invading your community

I don't mean to be psuedointellectual - I'm basing that a lot off what bands themselves talk about. There is such an emphasis in black metal on reactionary & nationalist politics, anti-cultural marxism, etc., and *so* many bands namedrop wagner! I think it's a mistake to assume that only the artsy bands with post-rock influences are intellectualizing their music, black metal bands are always talking about the ideology behind their music, its a part of the genre. It's just that most fans write it off as 'oh, there's Famine being crazy again' or w/e. But they're really taking about those things! (War metal etc. is kind of the exception rather than the rule imo)

VITRIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

>he doesn't like random samples

t.plebian

Most metalfags hate post-black but I love it

I absolutely love the Ark Work and Aesthetica but I think this post is spot on.