twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Endtrocducing

no u

WANNA GO FOR A RIDE

DALE
A
L
E

>wanky pretentious overlong double album of mostly filler that should have been an EP
>""""""""versatile""""""""

if you listen to it in the original vinyl tracklist, it's fucking great

Nothing by the Pumpkins comes close to this, in terms of versatility nor overall quality.

"MC is full of filler!" is a fucking meme boy. All the tracks are at least good. Also, they all had to the variety and grandiose feel of the album. SP were easily one of the more ambitious bands from that decade.

Except, you know, Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie.

Seriously OP? In the same decade as pic and OK Computer?

Does that even count as a rock album?

ok computer is not versatile

>Ok Computer
>coming even a bit close in touching MCatIS's diversity
lolno

SftB does though,

It's actually scary how deluded and just wrong 90's SP fans are. You are all fucking retarded and probably underage. The only """""people""""" who actually enjoy this """""music""""" are angsty middle class white high school teenage pimple faced boys who think they are guitar experts because they bought a Big Muff. How a band could write so much filler on all their albums yet still have an army of drooling autist fanboys is literally beyond me. Name 5 songs of any sort of significant quality off of MC and I will take this all back. You literally C A N ' T

>When will this meme end

Go to bed Stephen, you're drunk again.

Every Ween album.

>only generalized X demographics listen to Y band, therefore Y band is bad
Nice meme. Also, Corgan is indeed a pretty damng reat guitarist. His tones and production are objectively good, he's melodic as fuck while still being fairly technical, and he has written some excellent riffs. Also, even if someone links you any tracks from MC, you'll just mindlessly shit on them.

Anyway, have these:
Tonight Tonight
Thru the Eyes of Ruby
X.Y.U.
In The Arms of Sleep

versatile does not equal good op

>Also, even if someone links you any tracks from MC, you'll just mindlessly shit on them.
Yes, we know this tactic, it's what every belligerent autist on Sup Forums does when they ask someone to name something to prove them wrong.

Holy fuck of all the songs you could have sent you choose 1979? that's literally tumblr core. All those songs have cringe as fuck lyrics that would not appeal to anyone who isn't underage. Also
>The objectively good meme
Have fun listening to buttrock you fucking pleb

not even the best Yo La Tengo album

in fact there's 4 Yo La Tengo albums better than this one.

>literally tumblrcore
Nice buzzwords.
Also, if you weren't so invested in trying to bait, you'd notice the use of effects through the song. It's a simple tune, but the little details are what makes it unique. The voice sample interplayed with the riff, the shoegazish guitar washes on the chorus, the electronic drum bits, etc.

>cringe as fuck lyrics
So did Sonic Youth. Corgan's lyrics were never the best, but they also weren't bad.

>objectively good meme
Compare the wall of sound technique from Siamese Dream to the one used in any of Oasis first two albums. SD's one sounds massive but precise, all the guitar tracks used add to the volume of the whole thing without sounding too loud or messy. It was produced full of detail and crafted masterfully. Now compare them to the ones in, for instance, Definitely Maybe. What you have there is a clusterfuck of way too loud guitars that completely drown the drums and the bass in the songs. It's those little differences that made SP great.

I agree with you, but he was asking for "versatile 90s albums". They've done better, but I Can Hear the Heart is definitely the most varied album they released in that decade. No point in arguing what their best is, though, because most of their albums are 8+/10 tbqh

Best tracks desu, I would add, Where Boys Fear to Tread, Stumbeline, Porcelina of The Oceans

Those are some of my favs. Any 5 tracks from that album would be a good choice, shit is incredibly tight. Yes, even the one about vampires with the fart sounds.

This desu

With the filler bonus tracks that bogs the album down?

what filler tracks are you talking about?

>mostly filler
[citation needed]

I just told you. Can't you read?

You never mentioned what specific tracks you consider filler. You just said the album is mostly filler. I'm asking you to pinpoint the exact tracks you consider filler.

OCEAN MAN
C
E
A
N

M
A
N

> bonus tracks are basically the last two songs of the album
> bogs whole album down

ok

I'd say it would be an incredible albumif 1/3 of it was cut. Siamese Dream is a masterpiece though.

Yeah he's full of bs, most of it is not filler, albeit there is plenty.

By starlight is beautiful.

>You never mentioned what specific tracks you consider filler
See >bonus tracks

>a perfect climax to an album?
>nah lets just ruin it with weak shit so people will buy this $35 cash cow
OK

>that pic
lmao

Bonus tracks don't count. If it's in the normal track list then it does.

>If it's in the normal track list then it does.
The CD tracklist is the normal tracklist.

LET ME OUT

>albeit there is plenty.
Like what?

The 2nd disc is supposed to represent twilight to midnight, it's literally called that, hence the more toned down, dreamy and calm end of the album. It fits the concept and the tracks are cute. Imo it's a perfect ending. Not every album needs to end with a crescendo or something bombastic.

>The 2nd disc is supposed to represent twilight to midnight
Not on the vinyl.
>It fits the concept and the tracks are cute
cute =/= not filler cash garbage
>Not every album needs to end with a crescendo or something bombastic
Right but the songs ruin the comedown of the album.

I feel like you just downloaded some mp3s and made a playlist of the vinyl track order or some dumb shit like that.

I'm talking bout the cd version lmao idk how the vinyl tracklist is. The cd version runs smoothly all the way through the album.

Spangleborb

>I'm talking bout the cd version
We were talking about the vinyl version. Please keep up.

spank me daddy

actual old man here. MCIS is a masterpiece

Smashing Pumpkins are the best band of the 90's and one clue to how great they are is they didn't spawn dozens of copycats like Pearl jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden and the other big 90's acts

It's simply too difficult for plebs to mimic the greatness that is the Smashing Pumpkins so they don't even try

Bicorg should be in the discussion of greatest rock composer of all time

>actual old man here
How old?

>they didn't spawn dozens of copycats like Pearl jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden and the other big 90's acts
lol of course they did.

same old man

the 3 disc vinyl is not MCIS. only the double CD counts

there is a psychic energy that effected millions of people surrounding those exact songs in that exact order.

don't try to fuck with history you stupid kids

>the only correct tracklist is what I say it is!
Real mature.

They did spawn some copycats. Catherine (although they helped inspire the Pumpkins' sound and Billy produced some of their stuff) and Silversun Pickups are the only examples I'm aware. None of them match the OGs tho

there wasn't a successful Pumpkins clone that I'm aware of. Keep in mind not even the Pumpkins cloned themselves. Gish, SD, MCIS, Adore and to a lesser extent Machina were all huge steps forward for the band

I am not really counting the nu pumpkins here, I think Billco's well ran dry or he went too crazy to keep it up

but their 90's output is amazing

mid 30's not that old but too old to be on cuckcxhan

that guitar in Tonight, Tonight sounds American Footballesque

>Gish
>Siamese Dream
>Pisces Iscariot
>Mellon Collie
>The Aeroplane Flies High
>Adore
I agree, Billy was a fucking genius in the 90's. Only Elliot Smith rivaled him in terms of quality/quantity ratio.

Also, Oceania was pretty damn good. Only nu-pumpkins release that deserves to stand among their classic releases.

silversun pickups were def influenced by SP but I don't see the grandiosity or bombast or adventure in their music. It's just as easy to call them a MBV clone because they basically did the quiet feminine voice over the wall of guitars that SP used in the SD era

i mean, where are the guitar solos and god drumming and god complexes though?

>there wasn't a successful Pumpkins clone that I'm aware of.
Collective Soul, Hum, Silversun Pickups, Joy Formidable, Our Lady Peace, etc.
>mid 30's not that old but too old to be on cuckcxhan
Me too. You aren't a special snowflake

pisces and aeroplane aren't even real albums and they're still amazing albums!

i'm a fan for life I actually like MTAE better than Oceania

zeitgeist was a monumental disappointment

his solo album and zwan did grow on me but it's clear billy kinda lost the magic

either that or I got too old to really like new shit

>HUM
Those guys are proto-Deftones, they had a somewhat unique sound.

>Collective Soul
The guys that did Shine? Care to give some examples of them sounding like SP? Not familiar with their catalog, that sounds hilarious.

i'm not the guy you're responding to but the riff in Collective Soul's biggest hit is very similar to Drown

Billy talked shit on them for it

I do think Hum is the best example of a Pumpkins style band

not a whole lot of bands could get their sound, there is a unique quality to SP that makes them so special

I do think hum comes closest out of the artists he listed

hardly "successful" compared to other 90's copycat bands like Bush or Silverchair

Oceania sounded so inspired and spacious, the literal definition of a breath of fresh hair, it got my hopes up. Then came Monuments, and it was complete garbage. If Corgan stopped trying to make pop hits and got adventurous again, maybe dig out his goth/post-punk roots, I'm sure he could make something great.

>Deftones
Ah! Another band who knicked PS's guitar sound.
>Care to give some examples of them sounding like SP?
Well you just mentioned it...
youtube.com/watch?v=_m0bI82Rz_k
youtube.com/watch?v=N66Ki1iMMjY

youtube.com/watch?v=8Bp60IzkYbo
youtube.com/watch?v=aXyRIZEG5w8

Imo the key aspect that made the Pumpkins so unique was their influences. Corgan was hugely influenced by goth, post-punk, shoegaze, dream pop, and psychadelic, unlike most of his peers who were influenced by punk, noise rock, hard rock and such. That along with the influence of the classic like Black Sabbath and Beatles resulted in a ambitious, truly unique sound. It also helped the band having two technical geniuses that made the sound possible.

Hum were in no way a 'SP clone', sure they had similar grainy layered shoegazer guitars but they were more a fusion of grunge and post-hardcore and they were already on the scene before SP really had it together

OLP on the other hand was literally just a post-grunge band with a budget Billy Corgan vocalist, but their 90s stuff is a guilty pleasure. I actually think Spiritual Machines is a great album, unfortunately they turned to irredeemable shit after that one

I think he has trouble coming to terms with not being the biggest rock star around. He's too fat and old to be a real rock star anymore after such a long absence from the spotlight

it must hurt to see a hack like Dave Grohl see continued success when you have an ego like Bill's

I am just happy he's making music still desu.

Ever hear this song he did with Tony iommi?

youtube.com/watch?v=sC4IIBAxoVc

Lack of influence should indicate lack of greatness, your ideas are silly.

>Hum were in no way a 'SP clone
They very much have their style, no matter how good they are. The guitar sound, the drum sound. Isn't that rubric here in saying "Nirvana clones"?

Also
>I like it so it's not a SP clone band
Wrong.

Spiritual Machina oops I mean Machines is garbage btw

I ger he may be frustrated by not being the biggest shot anymore, but nowadays no one really is. Grohl is one of the few examples. Billy has aged pretty good and is still madly talented, he's doing better than most folks. If only he wasn't such an asshat.

>8minute track made with Iommi
holy shit my dick is diamonds thanks for this

let me put it this way, there are lots of stick figures being drawn around the planet but not many sistine chapels

Rape Me is a stick figure

Stand Inside Your Love is a sistine chapel

You are literally a moron.

>>>/o-board/

It's the best album of the 90s to be honest.

>Rape Me is a stick figure
>Stand Inside Your Love is a sistine chapel
Which of the two connected more to an audience?

PRO-TIP: it wasn't the Sistine Chapel

this is actually true

Helpless Child is a sistine chapel

I know

Either that, Loveless or The Holy Bible. I'd fuck them all.

rude

I've yet to hear a band that even approached mimicking King Crimson convincingly. Even the former members of King Crimson can't effectively copy King Crimson.

this

this

This, and most other Ween releases

Also See: Boredoms, Pavement (CRCR), GBV, World Party, Built to Spill

Wew, that was easy

it's funny because I remember back in the 90's I took in MCIS to my guitar teacher so he could teach me Where Boys Fear To Tread. He listened to like 45 seconds of it and said, "why do you waste your time on these pumpkin fags, you need to be listening to King Crimson"

I'm BUT THIS SO MUCH!
Forgot to Post it

Primal Scream is the most versatile rock band of the 90's(.)

Period

He was right in terms of learning guitar, and you're talking to someone who can play a fair bit of both catalogues quite well. It least when you play Crimson, you're forced to learn legato/staccato and crosspicking.

No Pavement, GBV or Built To Spill album is more versatile than MC, are you nuts?

Pop Tatari might be, though it was a long time since I last heard it.

Yeah he was definitely right. I was like 13 years old at the time and was only interested in alternative rock radio bands

i think I took lessons for about a year but I ended up getting into Crimson and Floyd and all the shit he wanted me to play like 5 years after the fact

i do think SP is a great 'guitar' band, but he wasn't a big fan I think he considered it bullshit because the excessive distortion and layering they used and I can respect that

Just because a band doesn't spawn multitudes of copycats doesn't mean it doesn't have influence

Maybe not Built To Spill, but I think CRCR has a lot of versatility going on. genre hopping, using irregular time signatures, while also writing pop structured tunes. It's a pretty dense release dude, you'd be an idiot to think otherwise.
GBV explores a fuckload of genres and ideas that had been round since the 60's. But because its "Lo-fi", it stays under that label most of the time.

CRCR is dense and has pretty intricate guitar work, but no way it's as diverse as Mellon Collie. I wouldn't say "diversity" is one of CRCR's main attributes that make it great. More like the superb songwriting, guitar work, Malkmus delivery, etc.