en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rubin_production_discography
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>In Utero
>by Steve Albini

he produced Tweez retard

Shit
Shit
>Using retard as an insult
How does it feel to be in middle school?

>yeezus
>travi$ scott

>Fuck World Trade
>by Steve Albini

Steve Albini is so "shit" but he's produced some "good" records.

>Any Steve Albini produced record
>by Steve Albini

>Steve Albini
>by Steve Albini

>Atomizer
>by Steve Albini

Steve Albini did most of the recording work for this but isn't credited as a producer. Does that count?

ur mum a shit

Rob isn't the best producer in the world but he's done some alright stuff. Especially considering the resources he was working with back in the day. The production he did on The Olivia Tremor Control's albums was pretty good.

>come on Sup Forums
>there's always a spiderland thread
>there's always a swans thread

what about a mazzy star thread?

he didn't do Spiderland retard

>Steve Albini did most of the recording work for this but isn't credited as a producer.
When is he ever credited as a producer?

Like 95% of the albums he works on?

As of 2008, Albini is most active as a record producer; however, he dislikes the term and prefers to receive no credit on album sleeves or notes.[24] When credited, he prefers the term "recording engineer."[25]

He only recorded the harp and vocals before any of the other stuff was written. The album was finished by someone else.

such an edgy faggot

In Albini's opinion, putting producers in charge of recording sessions often destroys records, while the role of the recording engineer is to solve problems in capturing the sound of the musicians, not to threaten the artists' control over their product.[2]

It's literally the opposite of edgy.

Pretry sure slint told him to fuck off after he ruined tweez

but he ruins every record with his stupid fucking drum sounds

How are they stupid?

Everything albini produces is so fucking quiet

>i don't know what mastering is

the toms on in utero literally sound like plastic lids
the drums always feel like their in the wrong place in the mix

Ah. I'm not as familiar with his recent work so most of the stuff I've seen him credited on credit him as a producer. Why has he decided he doesn't like the term anymore?
It wouldn't really have been a good choice artistically to have him recording Parks' arrangements cause he probably doesn't have much experience recording orchestras.
Recording the main soloist for an album is a pretty big deal though and I'd say if he didn't have a bee in his bonnet likesaid, he'd probably have been credited as a co-producer.

Sounds like he's just got a different approach to what he perceives most producers do. He's deffinitely still a producer though.

>most of the stuff I've seen him credited on credit him as a producer.
Like what? He's always credited as recording engineer.
>the toms on in utero literally sound like plastic lids
What system are you playing the album through? What rip and master of the album?
>the drums always feel like their in the wrong place in the mix
How should they be in the mix? How long have you been mixing albums? Who are some of your clients?

>if you aren't a chef you can't say that literal shit tastes bad

>there is something wrong with this thing
>but I can't recognize when it's right
Nice strawman btw

Analogies are strawmen now? Fuck off pseud. I'm expecting a 500 page treatise on why shit tastes bad tomorrow morning.

See:
(As well as all his albums I've cared to look at)
Yanqui U.X.O.
Surfer Rosa
Goat
Rid of Me
Off the top of my head have him listed as a producer.

>said the person who has shit tastes
In Utero > Nevermind

>rating nirvana at all
wew

Genuinely confused why people hate on Steve Albini. He seems like a genuinely cool dude and he's produced loads of amazing albums.

>How long have you been mixing albums? Who are some of your clients?
>Oh yeah! Well I bet you can't do any better!

>No mention of Rick Rubin yet

>Analogies are strawmen now?
It's a strawman because you misreprisented my argument. I was asking a question about how drums should be in the mix (since your assertion was they were wrong in the mix) and what sound system and master/rip of the album you were listening to (since you misheard the album)

Why so defensive?
>Off the top of my head have him listed as a producer.
[citation needed]

It's a meme, like BLM or Grimes being good.

They are butthurt leftover OF fans

shut up faggot

en.wikipedia.org and discogs.com

>if you're not an established producer, you're not allowed to have opinions on production
Sometimes I forget how childish Sup Forums can be.

discogs.com/Nirvana-In-Utero/release/375979

As you can see he's not listed as a producer, just "recorded by".

Shall we continue, or do you just want to stop posting?

See See Why so immediately defense? Kinda weird, huh?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Utero_(album)
>Producer Steve Albini, Scott Litt
As you can see he's listed as a producer, not just "recorded by".

Shall we continue, or do you just want to stop posting?

1) Spiderland wasn't produced by Albini
2) Albini isn't shit
3) Eat shit

>As you can see he's listed as a producer, not just "recorded by".
[citation needed]

>Steve Albini exists
[citation needed]

See that red line I've drawn under Steve Albini's name beside the word producer?

No, there is no citation to that information. If it's on wikipedia, it needs a citation since it's a public database of information. It's noted ny a number within brackets. If you are confused as to what a citation is, you can see them listed at the bottom of the wiki entry.

Or you can show me a screen cap of the liner notes of the actual album.

>he thinks the Wikipedia is a source.

Was your special ed teacher one of the nice ones or one of the ones that had meltdowns every other day?

>Why so immediately defense? Kinda weird, huh?
The inflammatory quips aren't necessary user. I know how big your dick is, you don't need to stick it in my ass to prove it.

You've not really proved much of anything with that post have you though? You've just asserted that you need to be a producer to know something is "wrong" with a production job. Which is absolute bullshit because whether a production job is good or not is completely subjective and production expertise isn't necessary to have preferences. If you don't like it the it's bad by your standards and there's no such thing as objectively "recognising when something is right" because there is no right way to do art.

>he thinks the Discogs is a source.

Was your special ed teacher one of the nice ones or one of the ones that had meltdowns every other day?

>I'm rubber, you're glue! Neener-neener-neener!

Nah, I think the liner notes are a source. A for effort though.

Alright user, Steve Albini didn't produce In Utero.

I think this (inane) issue is made more confusing by the fact that Albini doesn't like to get credited in liner notes and prefers to call himself a "recording engineer."

BUT, it seems like most people acknowledge him as the producer of In Utero:

nme.com/news/nirvana/72111
grammy.com/news/the-rebirth-of-in-utero-with-steve-albini

>The inflammatory quips aren't necessary user
OK then answer the questions
>You've not really proved much of anything with that post have you though?
All I did was ask a question that four people couldn't answer.
>You've just asserted that you need to be a producer to know something is "wrong" with a production job
Strawman
>no such thing as objectively "recognising when something is right"
By this logic, there is also no way to recognize when something is wrong.
Read the liner notes of the CD you halfwit.

I think you're mistaking me for another user. I quite like Steve's recording style and I'm not really interested in arguing about the merits or failings of his work.
I was just taking issue with the line of questioning you were pursuing. namely:
>How long have you been mixing albums? Who are some of your clients?
And then in response to people calling you out for implying that production experience is important in a discussion about personal preferences:
>there is something wrong with this thing
>but I can't recognize when it's right
If you didn't mean to imply that production experience is relevant to knowing something is good with the questions and greentext above, what was your intent?
>By this logic, there is also no way to recognize when something is wrong.
Not unless you count recognising you don't like something. Unless of course, you invent some arbitrary measure of what is "right" like "using up-to date hifi equipment" or "having the microphone in the same room as the instrument you're recording". You're always going to find people who disagree with whatever standards you invent though and there's nothing that makes your perspective more valid than theirs.

>Read the liner notes of the CD you halfwit.
If Steve Albini said he was a cat, would you agree with him and expect everyone else to?

>I think you're mistaking me for another user.
Been nice talking to you.

I'd say the feeling was mutual but you sound like a bit of an ass.

I would just check with the NME and the Grammies and see what they say, surely they are experts who really care about information on Steve Albini

What do you think a record producer is?

>Magnolia Electric Co.
>by Steve Albino

Interjecting yourself into other people's conversations isn't being an ass?

I'll address your comments since you pretend to want a conversation
>And then in response to people calling you out for implying that...
Sounds like your mistake for misinterpreting my post. I implied nothing.
>what was your intent?
To understand why he was mishearing the album. Perhaps he had a poor rip of the album, or a bad master. Maybe he was listening on laptop speakers. We don't know, so I am curious why he thinks someone who is known for accurately capturing the natural sound of drums didn't do just that.
>Not unless you count recognising you don't like something
If you don't like something, you'd be able to explain it, right? That's what a discussion is.
>You're always going to find people who disagree with whatever standards you invent
Are you implying I personally invented the standard of recording drums with a microphone?
A record producer or music producer oversees and manages the recording and production of a band or performer's music. A producer's roles may include gathering ideas for the project, selecting songs or session musicians, proposing changes to the song arrangements, coaching the artist and musicians in the studio, controlling the recording sessions, and supervising the entire process through audio mixing (recorded music) and, in some cases, to the audio mastering stage

>Interjecting yourself into other people's conversations isn't being an ass?
Haha, I suppose if this was real life it would be a dickish thing to do but this is common practice online.
>To understand why he was mishearing the album. Perhaps he had a poor rip of the album, or a bad master. Maybe he was listening on laptop speakers.
Did you forget what we were talking about? I have no issue with you asking about his set-up. Plz tell me why you were asking him if he was a producer and who he had produced.
>If you don't like something, you'd be able to explain it, right? That's what a discussion is.
In an ideal world, yeah but most people aren't articulate enough to explain why they react the way they do to art.
>Are you implying I personally invented the standard of recording drums with a microphone?
Sounds like you're misinterpreting my post.I implied nothing.

>Tomorrow We Die Alive
>by Joey Sturgis

>but this is common practice online.
So is the thing you believe I'm doing. Why pick and choose what to call out?
>I have no issue with you asking about his set-up. Plz tell me why you were asking him if he was a producer and who he had produced.
To try and understand why he thinks the drums were at an improper level. Depending on clients he's recording, he could have been accustomed to different approaches as "standard" (see drummer perspective vs audience perspective)
>In an ideal world, yeah but most people aren't articulate enough to explain why they react the way they do to art.
Sounds like their problem, not mine
>Sounds like you're misinterpreting my post.I implied nothing.
Why are you trying to call me out for (what you perceive as) shitposting? the other guy was as well.

>Reign in Blood
>by (b)Rick(wall) Rubin
Rick's produced some really good albums, but the urge to reduce the dynamic range to as little as possible seems overpowering

>"le i subjectively dont like someone" thread

ITT: nice opinions

>flip table
>steve albini taped to the back

[citation needed]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rubin_production_discography
You can't seriously believe that at least a few of those aren't really really good

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rubin_production_discography
Not seeing a list of albums he mastered.

try again?

A MULATTI
>an albini
A MOSQUITI
MY LIBIDI
YEE

>So is the thing you believe I'm doing. Why pick and choose what to call out?
I think being a cantankerous ass is worse than joining an online conversation uninvited.
>To try and understand why he thinks the drums were at an improper level. Depending on clients he's recording, he could have been accustomed to different approaches as "standard" (see drummer perspective vs audience perspective)
Right...I guess I've no reason to doubt your motives but you should have been a bit more clear about that when people started implying you were asking those questions to look for credentials. If you say that's not what you were doing, I guess we don't actually have any major differences in philosophy here. You could have saved the two of us a few walls of text by being a bit less obtuse though.
>Sounds like their problem, not mine
It deffinitely is.
>Why are you trying to call me out for (what you perceive as) shitposting? the other guy was as well.
I'm not interested in engaging with your blatantly purposeful misinterpretation of what I was saying. Your english is too good for me to believe your reading comprehension could be that poor.

Wouldn't make sense that someone with a background in music production be more knowledgeable about music production than someone who isn't?

He produced RoC

Yeah and trained musicians are more knowledgeable about rhythm, melody and harmony and chefs are more knowledgeable about cooking but knowing more about the process doesn't mean your opinion about the quality of the output is more valid. In a discussion about quality, usually that stuff will just give you a different perspective and possibly allow you to be more descriptive.

>Yeah and trained musicians are more knowledgeable about rhythm, melody and harmony and chefs are more knowledgeable about cooking
End of story. Not sure why you are even replying
>your opinion about the quality of the output is more valid
To use your metaphor, user was commenting about the cooking, not the taste
>In a discussion about quality, usually that stuff will just give you a different perspective and possibly allow you to be more descriptive.
Which was what I was asking him to do, be more descriptive.

If you read back up through the discussion, it was originally a remark made about "taste" that started this and that was the context in which I started asking user why he was looking for credentials (which he has since said wasn't his intention).
>but he ruins every record with his stupid fucking drum sounds
A discussion about cooking would more be along the lines of what type of mics he uses or how he pans the recording as opposed to:
>it sounds bad

>Which was what I was asking him to do, be more descriptive.
user, is that you? You don't need to pretend you're someone else, I'll still reply to you

>If you read back up through the discussion, it was originally a remark made about "taste"
Which post? I just see critique on a technical level (the drums not in the mix correctly; the drums sound like [object not a drum]) to explain why Albini is poor at his job.
>A discussion about cooking would more be along the lines of what type of mics he uses or how he pans the recording as opposed to:
>>it sounds bad
See above. anons didn't say it sounds bad, they attempted to discuss mixing and mix placement/choices.
>user, is that you?
When did I pretend it wasn't?

Do you agree with the anons I was replying to?

>this album is better than another album therefore this album has no flaws

this joke is fairly old now stop

it's shit if it isn't recorded multitrack in a state of the art major label studio with plenty of post-processing effects and that top 40 digital sheen desu

>I don't know what the flaws are, but I want to talk about it anyways

>Albini surrounded Grohl's drum kit with about 30 microphones.

Jesus Christ...

first week here?

Don't you have an analog recording presentation to give Steve?

literally anyone could edit a wikipedia page so it means shit

>Which post?
The one I quoted. He said the drums sounded "stupid" and gave a technical quality for why he thought so (although, one which I'm sure neither of us believe is true). To go back to the cooking analogy, he made a comment about taste and cited an ingredient he didn't like. Which as far as I'm concerned is still within the realms of subjective preferences. To him, the mixing choices and the timbre of the drums sounded "stupid" but he wasn't arguing that the drums were actually buckets being played with tire irons or that everything was panned hard into the left channel which would be an objective misdiagnosis.
>When did I pretend it wasn't?
Soz, misinterpreted a post there. ;)
>Do you agree with the anons I was replying to?
Which ones? If you mean the guy who didn't like Steve Albini, no. I don't listen to a lot of rock and certainly not a lot of the punkish noise rock Steve gravitates towards but I do quite like his production style and he's done quite a few records that I like in styles I'm not normally crazy about so I respect him a lot in that sense.

>The one I quoted.
Except the post in question is not I have no qualms that he thinks it's stupid (the taste). There was qualms with why he thinks they are stupid (the cooking).

Now do you see?

But if he legitimately thinks the drums sound like plastic lids, how can you say he's wrong? It's a bit silly but if that was his experience, there isn't really much you can say to prove it wasn't and no amount of production expertise can change that.
This stuff is a lot more wishy washy than talking about the harmony of a piece and when you start talking about timbre, you can within reason make any statements you want.
As for the mixing thing, he never really got into what was stupid about it. If he'd stuck around maybe he would have had a valid reason but we don't know.

>It's a bit silly but if that was his experience, there isn't really much you can say to prove it wasn't and no amount of production expertise can change that.
Since we have documentation of what Grohl played during the sessions, then we can indeed prove he was not playing plastic lids.
>you can within reason make any statements you want.
Which is why we need to be hyper critical and let people who actually know what they are talking about call out the people who don't
>As for the mixing thing, he never really got into what was stupid about it.
He did, he said it's mixed in the wrong place.

>King of The Jews
>Steve Albini

>Atomizer
>Steve Albini

>Ys
>Steve Albini

>anything produced by Steve Albini
>Steve Albini