Did this album start the mallgoth aesthetic/trend?

Did this album start the mallgoth aesthetic/trend?
It seems to be one of the earliest albums with that particular kind of angst.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lS_zy9DQLzg
youtube.com/watch?v=By2fxMO7D5k
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

its like a toned down 80s coil, but its really influential on a lot of 90s mallgoth like marilyn and korn.

I'm pretty sure Skinny Puppy did it first.

You'd have to ask Jhonen Vasquez though, he saw the rise of mallgoth happen and participated in it.

Define the "mallgoth aesthetic/trend".

The only band I can think of that can only be categorized as "mallgoth" is Evanescence.

If you're referring to mallgoth kids, they're defined precisely by the fact that they don't have a cohesive aesthetic, and instead gobble down whatever the mainstream media tell them is "goth", despite the fact that there's nothing in common between Nine Inch Nails, Korn and Placebo. And they dress in an awkward combination of rivethead, metalhead, victorian and post-punk.

i'd sooner nail that on ministry and skinny puppy, but PHM deffo followed in that direction

i was actually listening to that album a lot a couple months back and some of the arrangements and production on it still feel pretty fresh and even contemporary in a weird sort of way, in the sense that that sort of dated but multifaceted 80s sound can be heard and felt in what a lot of currently "hip" younger artists are doing
some of this stuff is still hella fresh

youtube.com/watch?v=lS_zy9DQLzg

youtube.com/watch?v=By2fxMO7D5k

I'm just thinking back to the late 90s/early 00s when I was a kid seeing the older teenagers wearing the giant black jeans with chains and shit, piercings everywhere, and weird ass gelled-to-fuck hair.
I'm thinking the kids who really, really liked Marilyn Manson.
Yeah I forgot about Skinny Puppy. Seems like NIN may have made it more mainstream though?
Oh the album is definitely mostly great. Listened to it for the first time because I've liked Downward Spiral for a long time and figure out was finally time to check out Reznor's other stuff.

>back to the late 90s/early 00s when I was a kid seeing the older teenagers wearing the giant black jeans with chains and shit, piercings everywhere, and weird ass gelled-to-fuck hair.
I remember that shit vividly. I lived on Cape Cod as a kid, and we always have only had one dinky mall, the Cape Cod Mall. I remember being like 7 years old and walking through the mall to check out shit at FYE and Newbury Comics and seeing packs of those goth rats in the food court, and they'd always be getting into fights and shouting at people lol

Oh yeah NIN definitely made rivetheads mainstream but mallgoths were the unfortunate result of the music/clothing industries trying to combine every "rebel" trend of the nineties into an easily-marketable package, it's not something that can be blamed upon one band or the other, or even one genre of music in particular.

The ones from my rural hick-ass town were usually pretty cool from what I remember, usually just had bad home lives, but managed to still be really nice people for the most.
I think the most mallgothy couple in existence got Prom Prince and Princess around like 2004, not ironically but because everyone actually liked them. Just my experience though.
/blogpost over
Maybe it's nostalgia but I look back on the trend fondly, though it was truly awful.

I sort of do as well because at the very least, those kids TRIED to be tough.

I'd take 30 years of mallgoths over one more year of tumblrites and basic bitches.

PHM-era Trent (with dreads) is the funniest fucking thing

meh, he looked okay.

Now he looks like a beefhead dumbass.

He's pretty handsome now desu

Nigga you serious? He's DILF-tier now.

Downward Spiral era was his aesthetic peak, for certain. I'd say he looks good these days, though, and seems comfortable in his skin.

>that one goth high school buddy with 8/10 facial aesthetics who insisted that he was going for a Visual Kei style but literally looked like he came out of a goth rave
Poor guy got dumped by his metal band
Now they play bro-hardcore
And he's still trying to make it as a dancer
But now he looks like Neil Breen.

WHERED YUOR NECK GO BRO DID YOU EAT UR NECK?

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

MY NAME

IS PAUL HEYMANNNN

AND THIS

IS MY CLIENT

THE VOICE INSIDE YOUR HEAD

THE LOVER IN YOUR BED

THE SEX THAT YOU PROVIDE

THE HATE YOU TRY TO HIDE

MR SELF-DESTRUCT HIMSELF:

TRRRRRRRRENT
RRRRREZNORRRRR

No, it was The Downward Spiral and Marilyn Manson. All of mallgoth descends from them.

DEFEND GOTH FROM MALLGOTHS.

>Downward Spiral era was his aesthetic peak
it was..along w/ Fragile era and maybe WT