How did they revive their ancient language?

How did they revive their ancient language?

Asking for a friend

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revival_of_the_Hebrew_language
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They weren't cucks.

RARE

Why don't you just read the wiki article on it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revival_of_the_Hebrew_language

I want the info presented through the medium of memes and insults

Just gas everyone in Ireland.

"reviving"

current hebrew is like arabic spoken by a german-slav, the ashkenazi accent made it awful

HOLY SHIT RARE

ARE YOU FROM SAINT THOMAS

The intonation is Sephardic though, it's just the sounds.

Although in reality, modern Hebrew is probably a remastered version of Hebrew with all of its historical layers, combined with the linguistical sense / outline of the first speakers (which comes down to the syntax of the language being greatly influenced by Yiddish, and to some extent by Arabic as well).

but as far as vocabulary and basic language structures go, the revival of Hebrew really was a great success. The vocabulary in-use is HUGELY semitic, the standard grammar being almost entirely of Hebrew origin as well.
Nevertheless (and the most exciting fact imo), native speakers of Modern Hebrew can grasp the meaning of texts from the Mishnah (WHICH IS ABOUT 2000 YEARS OLD), and with some commentary regarding the context - from the bible itself.

THE ISLANDS NEVER HAD SEX JAHAHJHAJAJJAJAJAJJAJAJJAJAJAAHAJjKAHjAHjAHjuAHJhAI

To OP's question, it all comes down to Zionism, and the Jews having all immigrated to one land, in such a manner that the determination of a common tongue was necessary.

If the Jews had two things going for them, they would be ideology and funds.
Tthe first European Jews who immigrated to the land were Zionist enthousiasts, whose native languages were inappropriate to the national effort. Yiddish was deemed to be "the language of the eternally exiled Jew", so once the idea of the revival of the Hebrew language was introduced, it only took a few decades before it was actively promoted by Zionist groups and communities, backed by continuous donations to the Zionist movement from Jews worldwide. Eventually the 1900's immigration of europhobic eastern-European Jews fleeding the pogroms who wanted to "start new lives" in Palestine sealed the deal, and after some political skirmishes in between the Zionism movement, Hebrew was chosen to be the language of the "new Jew", and thus immigrants forced themselves to speak the language on a daily basis, and by the early 00's there were already semi-native speakers of the language.

That's the short version of the story, anyway.
I suspect that the only reason why it doesn't work for the Irish is that the foreign language in discussion is actually ENGLISH, THE LINGUA FRANCA ON THE WORLD.
The Irish are probably not very eager to give up a language of some sort, given the notion that they could just keep speaking English, and also given the fact that they'd be learning a language that's as hard to learn as any other foreign language, and has no real application outside of being an historical language of their people (it's like if Ashkenazi Jews would declare themselves an ethnicity and call the youngsters to learn Yiddish. I mean, they could, but what's the point when they could just speak English or Hebrew)?
Unlucky to say the least. I wish your Irish the best, in any case.
Gaelige seems to be a beautiful language.

This is nice

Yah

That looks nice.

Better than just about any view I saw growing up in hawaii, too bad it's 75℅ nog here.

>can't pronounce ayin
>can't pronounce resh properly
>kaf and chet are merged
why do ashkenazim have to ruin everything?

>THE ISLANDS NEVER HAD SEX JAHAHJHAJAJJAJAJAJJAJAJJAJAJAAHAJjKAHjAHjAHjuAHJhAI
Unlike the Malvinas they never got fucked

A lot of us can, actually.
We just don't.

We can. We just had adapted since then and gradually chose to use softer pronucintions.

Many Israelis of Ashkenazi descent pronounced that 'r' even in old pop songs that we hear to these day.

'Ayin' is often used when you have to make a distinction between similar words like Ye'udi (designated) and Yehudi (jewish).

why do nogs always have to occupy the best places?

haven't you based your phonetics on Yiddish and German?

Hebrew has always been traditionally taught as a 3rd/4th language to Jewish kids, even while we lived in Europe speaking Yiddish.

Nice informative summary. One thing i don't quite understand though is how people willingly abandonded their native tongue (Yiddish) in favor of a semi artificial language. I mean if there was say a pan-scandinavian nation formed where the language was revivied old norse i have a hard time imagining myself not still speaking swedish, especially with my family, kids included

Going with Hebrew was a major 'fuck you nazi europe' choice for the 1900's Jewish settlers during the British Mandate of Israel.

Keep in mind that Yiddish was only spoken by Eastern European Jews,
while Jews from other parts of the worlds didn't know it.

The only language that pre-Israel Jews from all across the world were familiar with was Hebrew.
Mostly,
Whtether you've been a Polish Jewish kid along from cold Europe,
or a Moroccan Jewish boy from sunny North Africa (or anywhere else)
you learnt the very same Hebrew alphabet in order to read the Torah.

>How did they revive their ancient language?
>their
Jewish ppl dont exist.

>e]
define what is a jew.

>Keep in mind that Yiddish was only spoken by Eastern European Jews,
>while Jews from other parts of the worlds didn't know it.

Is this really true though? I've been reading a lot about yidddish litrature and the impression i got was that the sort of renaicance of yiddish literature sprung from the jewish working class comunities in western and central europe

Yiddish is very much based on ye olde german, but I figure it spread east rather than originate there.