French, Greek, Irish, or Welsh?

Should I learn French, Greek, Irish, or Welsh?

Yeah, I know this is a weird list, but these are the ones I am interested in. I am not asking you to make my decision for me, because I am not an idiot, all I am asking for is your perspectives and experiences.

I figure I ought to list why I am interested in these languages specifically, so that you may better answer my question:

French: A lot of media produced in the language, job opportunities, and both France and Québec seem like nice places to live.

Greek: Extremely beautiful language, beautiful country, great people, the only downside being that there are not many jobs in Greece, and it is not a 'useful' language.

Irish: I am VERY interested in language/cultural preservation, and so the prospect of helping a dying language is rather appealing. Ireland is also a pretty nice country with good people, from what I hear.

Welsh: Pretty much the same reasons as Irish, plus I want to defend Wales from Saesneg as a true follower of Glyndŵr.
All right, Sup Forums, thank you for reading this far, and thank you in advance for your thoughtful responses. I look forward to reading your responses.

you'll probably get more money, culture, fame and use out of french.

Irish then move here

he should probably move to a country where they speak irish instead

French

Welsh and Irish are shit, Greek is kinda shit

Support this.

French is the only useful one, and you will never be proficient in Welsh so you might as well not bother,

not nice at all

Like everyone has already said French is the only useful one on that list

I am not saying Welsh is very easy, but it is not that hard either. It is comparable to the other languages on the list.

i'd rather have american immigrants than anglo-canadian immigrants

you're welcome here

You need to decide if you're learning this for usefulness or because you like it.

As you said Greek is useless.
The French are terrible people. Québec is just one city and I don't know if you have real motive to move there.
Welsh and Irish are probably as useless.

So pick among the three useless ones since you're going for uselessness.

French is more useful in general, yes, but that does not necessarily mean it is the best choice. Depending on what one does with it, they could all be relatively just as useful for one's career.
French is great, yeah, but I would like perspectives beyond 'it is more useful.'

I'd say just learn French. You already speak English so you're covered in Ireland, Wales and the nice parts of Greece. But with French you'll be covered in France and lots of Africa + other shitholes.

Personally I think Spanish would be the best language to learn if you don't speak it already.

I like how you sneaked France with the rest of the shitholes. Why would he want to go there?

>so you're covered in Ireland,
did you not read the OP?
he wants to conserve the language, he just doesn't know that most people here can't be arsed

it'll be dead before the century is out

I appreciate that, my friend.

fuck america

Well French is the most widely spoken by a large margin, so you will find more resources and media to help you when learning.

Outside of niche translation jobs or perhaps working in the tourist sector in Greece, I don't think there's any work opportunities with the others

It probably will last for quite some time. The gaelscoileanna have been very successful, and they are growing.

Greek is not useless. It is not as useful as French, but it is definitely not useless.

That would be the plan.

>Greek is not useless. It is not as useful as French, but it is definitely not useless.
I don't know. I don't even use it to be honest.

It'll get you some bragging rights though.

I was robbed in Greece and the police did nothing.

I saw weed growing on the side streets police did nothing

sure

ref

>Greek is not useless

It's a very interesting language to learn, and their culture is great, but don't kid yourself, greek is absolutely useless unless you plan to spend you whole life there of course.

Greek or French everything else is a meme language.

you shouldn't have told them you're German

Celtics are really based. Would learn Irish.

I think from any perspective you see it, French is the 'objective' first choice, modern Greek the second and Welsh and Irish the third

French, meme language, meme language or meme language?

Meme language, meme language, meme language or meme language?

ftfy

It is not a meme. Those languages are valuable parts of their nationality identity and culture.

Come on now, there's no French culture.

I wouldn't. That's why I think he should learn Spanish. Spanish opens up a whole new world.

But you recommended french.

French is beautiful m8. I was in Bordeaux and it was really beautiful there.

>Ireland, Wales
>national identity
>culture
And Greeks are orthodox Turks.

A whole new third world you mean

what the fuck, Iki? why you betray us?

he can use it to study ancient greek and it could deepen his understanding of English
but yeah, these aren't very practical stuff

French opens up a new world as well. Many countries speak French, and 4.1 percent of the internet is in French (4.9 in Spanish).

The other languages also open up new worlds, though much smaller. That is not always a bad thing, though. I am not going to be talking to every single Spanish speaker anyway, so the sheer number does not matter at all.

Hey I live there. Where did you go ?

Place de la bourse and the Grand Théâtre are amazing

you wanted them to do what?

A 1st world European country where it's legal to grow your own weed and an entire continent of fat assed weather girls.

gracias amigo

French.
The other 3 are really useless but French helped me with Spanish.

would you say Germany has any culture after being crushed as a Nation by two world wars?

*tips fedora*

Just learn French. It is way easier and actually has some usages.

Greek if you're into classical stuff and if you like philosophy and things related to ancient culture et cetera

French if you're looking for everything the greek language and culture represented in the past but you'd rather look for a contemporary alternative to it
I think it would be your best option for a reasonable choice and for practical applicability of your language skills among all the languages you've listed, once it's the language of diplomacy, refined modern-era western culture, and highly educated people at large

Welsh / Irish if you're into underground stuff and you're willing to put way much time and effort in your tasks (not only when it comes to learning the language, but also for searching learning material and all of that) and if you don't bother learning a language that you'd probably have fewer opportunities of finding people that would engage in a meaningful conversation with you in that language in your daily life

I think that you would have greater chances of finishing your studies by learning french when compared to all the languages you've mentioned due to all the things I've listed, but I think greek could open your mind to a philological experience only a few western languages could offer you

Besides, that's just my opinion, but I think you should probably choose the language you feel more naturally inclined to learn, so you'd enjoy learning it on a personal level because you'd be more prone to create personal bonds to it, what would probably help you out a lot during your learning process
And as that's just a very personal and subjective choice, I think you should pay attention to really ponder over your language choices, because it's not just about choosing them by what they can offer you, but also for what you would have to let go by refusing to learn the other ones

why are you asking Sup Forums in the first place? there are few autists of the "obsess over obscure, barely alive languages like Irish" variety on here who would recommend you anything but the most spoken language, i.e. French

>caring about the legality
why you nonce?

unless you have like 10 plants they wont catch you

Obviously french. However the french are douchers, so idk. Tough call. If you're Irish then maybe Irish. Best bet would be to learn french and pick another one of those languages to learn on the side.

Idk what your work ethic is like, but you can learn a few languages at once. As long as you focus on one more than the other.

I appreciate the suggestions.

I would prefer to only learn one at a time. Studies have shown that trying to learn two at once usually ends up with the the learner being good at neither.

>douchers
would heem your entire existence if i heard you say that

Oh. Then learn french. But if youre more than 50% Irish, then learn Irish.

as if. you probably weigh 120, and you're from england so you're most likely a pussy.

>But if youre more than 50% Irish, then learn Irish.

I mean shit I'm not Irish, but those fuckers really care about bringing the language back.

I do not see how genetics would have anything to do with wanting to preserve a language, but I appreciate the suggestion. (I am white and would look ordinary in either country.)

>and you're from england
B T F O

Well if genetics aside. Then learn french. It's the most obvious choice.

Quite true though as unfortunate as it is.

When was the last time you spoke irish?

>Extremely beautiful language
I am curious, what do you find beautiful about it?

carry on la

Irish should be the only official language in every country.

>job opportunities
What job opportunities would you get with French, without actually living in France or Quebec.

this morning

Is that why only 2% of them can speak it?
^

yeah well we're allowed to have guns here cuck. that cute butter knife wont do shit.

Well, that is the point exactly: I would, ideally, study/work in one of those areas. This applies to each of the languages listed. Plus, that is the best way to get a good grasp of the language anyway.

Do you like comics?

If so French is definitively the language.

What field are you in?

>here
Sorry but nobody cares about your shitty redneck flyover state.
>58% calling anybody a cuck
>that cute butter knife wont do shit.
Really? Come here and find out.

The Irish spoken and produced by Gaelscoileanna is more like English with Irish vocabulary and basic sentence structure than anything else. Anything resembling native Irish that encapsulates the full extent of the grammar, phonology and idiom will be dead before 2100.

Linguistics, mainly historical linguistics. I might also study classical studies.

Irish is such a dumb language don't bother

French is the best of those 4

I would go with French.

Yes, that is a reasonable estimate if that is what you are referring to. It really is a shame, I think. I might be acting too sentimentally, but it really pains me to think that this is its fate.

You realize you're like those guys who get really worked up on call of duty and are like "SAY IT TO MY FACE FAGGOT ILL KICK YOUR ASS". Plus your entire country is a fly over.

it's not inevitable, the government has just been run by people who don't care for a century

>SAY IT TO MY FACE FAGGOT ILL KICK YOUR ASS
That's literally you lmao you started it dumb fat

I wish something could be done to fix that.

>Linguistics, mainly historical linguistics. I might also study classical studies.

are you inferring something

You started it by saying you would "heem" me for saying doucher.

>UK is a flyover

Only thing that doesn't make it a flyover is the fact you don't need to flyover it to go to france or italy.

Why would you go to france and italy though? Don't you see enough niggers in the US?

Only in the major cities, and even then they all live in the south side of each one. If having a handful of them begging you for money each day bothers you then idk what to tell you.

Tbh I'd go to the UK. Probably would just go and see London, but I don't really know what else I'd do there.

My town is around 90% white.