What's up with northern Canada and the Canadian Arctic Archipelago? Only like 1...

What's up with northern Canada and the Canadian Arctic Archipelago? Only like 1,600 people live on the massive island in the pic.

Are the non-tundra parts just like vast swaths of uncharted forested wilderness? That's fucking scary if so. Can you imagine what might be up there? Canada, you keep me awake at night.

It's not forested, first you have the boreal forest in the south, then the taiga, light vegetation but mostly empty plains then tundra the cold unvegetated plains. Not many people live there because there's nothing to do, the land doesn't have a big carrying capacity and getting goods there is expensive. Mostly natives live there.

How does anyone live there if everything is so expensive? What do they do for a living that pays enough to afford all that?

Qimmeq!

in a distant future, millions of people are going to live there

I would guess local fishing isn't as expensive, fish used to be the main source of food for natives that north too. But also welfare and natives don't have to pay any form of taxes.

natives get free money and free housing

non-natives usually have lucrative jobs in government or resource extraction. You also can get a tax credit for food if you live in the North.

>How does anyone live there if everything is so expensive?
They don't 'live' per say. All you can do is work or stay inside 9 time out of 10. It's a miserable existance.
>What do they do for a living that pays enough to afford all that?
Geologists and meteorologists usually.

Teachers make 100,000 CAD a year

This is the "uncharted wilderness" up there

seems pretty fun to just like build your own place in this wast wilderness, live by yourself. For the first like 3 months

are the locals tend to steal stuff? Are they agressive? Is the land cheap? Can I just go there build my stuff and be never found out?

Its not that cold people go outside here, theres just no jobs so nobody lives there

You would die before 3 months.

Comfy

This dude is 150 years old.

Wait.. on second thought there are no forests there right?
Oh yes I would definitely die

The Yukon is the only livable part of the Territories.

Yep. Pretty much everything up there is just a big, freezing cold, rocky desert. Maybe you could survive by yourself in the Taiga forests to the south of there, but you would have to know what you're doing

>He doesn't live above the polar circle

Ahahahaha, what a c.u.c.k

this

Pretty disappointing. Does it at least have oil?

It's pretty cold there now

There's supposed to be some, but I don't think there's many companies actually trying to get at it

>used to live right on the line between a 0-15 and 80-100 area
>go west, all forest, east, all farms
was prettygoodman.jpg

I met a lab tech who was doing bench work for oil companies in Yellowknife. He was making $120K / year and splitting a 3 bedroom house with two other guys for $3,000 / month each.

He flew to Florida every chance he got.

No forest, just pic related

Comfy and unsettling at the same time

Everytime I think of the North I'm reminded how much potential it had, and how Trudeau's piece of shit father ruined it for us

Shell abandoned their arctic oil project because you need it to be at like $140/barrel to be profitable

>Trudeau's piece of shit father