How come some ethnically non-russian areas became independent (armenia, kazakhstan...

How come some ethnically non-russian areas became independent (armenia, kazakhstan, belaruse) but others didn't (ossetia, chechnya, sakha republic, tatarstan, tuva)

what was the actual reasoning or whatever

Because eternal Ivan needs his buffer states.
If he didn't, none of these would be independent (not that they are too independent anyway).

>swiss education

Small population & russification of those areas. I feel kind of bad for them t b h but I guess they're better under Russians than independent

To annoy europeans, so they would ask questions about it on Tibetan wood-carving internet forums.

not annoyed just curious

tru~ but like kazakhstan for example has vast swathes of russian areas, so idk it all seems a bit random.
>polish intellectualism

Georgia, Armenia and Azerbeijan have a long tradition of being a country. Other not. And also have you noticed that only former SSRs became countries.
Gee, I wonder why.

why was say Kyrgyzstan a SSR but Tuva not?

Why was Bestonia an SSR but Karelia not?

Stop being butthurt/sarcastic and just answer me you

Those aren't Russian areas, that's Kazakhstan with Russian people in it. Most of the former SSRs are too big for Russia's shitty politicians to administrate anymore.

Baltics were actual countries. Ukrainian national identity was pretty strong, and Belarusian strong enough. Don't know pretty much about x-stans but I know Russians created them, and they weren't actual SSRs from the beginning.
Other people of Russia never had a country or it was hundreds years ago.

the south caucasus has much more history and was always more important than the northern shit part

I like Russia I think its my East German blood

chechenya and dagestan and circassia were sort of real countries before.

whereas kyrgyzstan/tajikstan/uzbekistan has literally never been real.

Tuva was actually a sort of real country for a short time (similar to baltics). I read karelia was near to being a SSR.

So I'm just wondering how was all this ultimately decided. Which ones got it and which ones did not.

I notice that Kazakhstan and Ukraine have large areas that are mostly russian, so why did those areas go to those countries for example? Who decided this and on what basis.

Ukraine, Armenia and other Soviet republics had more privileges, technically they were independent states that formed a Union with Russia. This was mainly done to avoid decolonisation and separatism.
Regions like Tatarstan, on the contrary, were always treated as Russian territories, because cultural and geographical tights with them were stronger.

Also, Ukraine, Belarus and Baltic states didn't have natural resources, and therefore they were pretty much useless because their economy sucked in late 1980-s.
Russia simply didn't have money to feed them, and they got used to produce low-quality goods that were okay for Soviets, but completely irrelevant in terms of market economy. Oil-rich regions, on the contrary, remain in Russia.

Why would say Kazakhstan be designated as an SSR but Tuva or Karelia or Chechnya not be?

That's a bit false. Baltic states had highest living standard in SSR and produced high tech shit like Radios and etc for Russians. Like VEF. Also Soviets pumped out more money of here than they actually gave.

For example from

>1946 to 1991
Latvia gathered 85 Billion rubbles,
to Latvian budget went 44,3 Billions
and to SSSR went 40,6 Billions
Then from this sum SSSR gave back 24,7 Billions.
In total Latvia Gave 15,9 Billions more than it ever received.

>posts gif of mari girl
>doesn't mention mari-el
die

That's the entire point of having colonies tho

Just commies drew borders that way for whatever reasons. A lot of them are quite artificial.
/thread

>the south caucasus has much more
Not really. Georgia has a lot of history, Armenia shouldn't be considered Caucasian. Azerbaijan has no history and not even the right to exist.
Chechnya, Circassia, Ingushetia, Dagestan and even Ossetia have all rich histories.

Great file name

Well, Soviet high tech shit was quite backward and it couldn't compete with companies that created their products under market economy (like Sony).
Soviets deliberately moved high tech productions to Baltic States to create work places there to improve living standards.

you want to hear the real reason? kremlin got control before any more managed to separate and violently suppressed all further separatism. that's why unless the whole shitpile collapses again (i wish) no other nation is ever going to get out no matter how hard the people would want.

Because those which got indepenence were soviet republics while those which didnt were just autonomous parts of RSFSR.

Why would Russia want to annex Armenia? They have always been their loyal dogs. Loyal to the point getting massacred for Russian interests.

> Kazakhstan and Ukraine have large areas that are mostly russian,
no it doesnt

kazakhstan doesnt have ANY areas that are mostly russian. some areas have more russians, some less. some more 'russified' as you would say, but really it USSR-izied, some less.

ukraine, maybe. are they even different scientifically? like genetically? im not sure.