Why is Japanese culture so appealing to the Westerners?

Why is Japanese culture so appealing to the Westerners?

It's exotic for sure, but so are cultures of Sub-Saharan Africa or SEA and they aren't getting nearly the same amount of attention meanwhile we've had thousands of weaboos in Europe since atleast 19th century.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Joseph_Benjamin-Constant
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i gave it some thought, i think it's because the japanese sense of asthetic is just generally quite pleasing

it also is 1st world so you could respect it as an alternative (but legitimate) society and culture to western ones. you can't say the same about anywhere in africa or SEA

because of their isolationist foreign policy our idea of them is incredibly out of date and romanticized too, we still think of sumo and geisha and not urban sprawls and megacities that are pretty much the same everywhere on earth

because instead of glorious China, we have exported random things? Aside from China's dumb shit aka stupid self-destruction these days, I wonder what China has been doing until now.

I always thought it was because Japan had a similar history that could be taken as a parallel to Europe.
Medieval - Fuedal States
Renaissance - Edo period
Enlightenment - Meiji Restoration
And of course their brief imperial age following the restoration.

First of all, Japanese sense of aesthetics is top tier, desu.

>and not urban sprawls and megacities that are pretty much the same everywhere on earth
the thing is even Japanese cities are completely unique

you can easily distinguish a Japanese city with it's unique architecture and extreme cleanliness

Japan is one of the most boring places on earth

Lived there first 18 years of my life.

The scenery is mostly all the same.

Even the temples are all dark colored and look the same.

City is just shitty souless empty concede compounds and not much to do.

The only "fun" think I can think off doing is going to karaoke or bar on the weekend.

Seriously boring place. Its like being trapped in a simulation. Exept it's more like purgatory

everything is boring after so much time really

I wouldn't say the Japanese temples arr rook the same though

Im quite interested in SEA culture desu, they're pretty interesting, like chinese meet Indian culture, thy're too poor to promote their culture though

The reason Japanese culture is relevant is because of combination of economic dominance; being a homogenous firstly world asian country which preserve their traditional culture, and ability to create new contemporary culture that is uniquely Japanese, something other country rarely able to do

>a dirty pole thinks he knows more about japanese temples than someone who has lived in japan for 18 years

Japan could modernize successfully. And Edo period before the modernization was peace and rich culturally and economically for about 300 years.

Do you want a serious discussion on this subject? I can take this thread to 300 if you do

Because we know little of it

it's the ultimate culture for manchildren

go on then

>Why is Japanese culture so appealing to the Westerners?

Japanese culture isn't as appealing to europeans as it is for americans.

Part of it is because Japan is America's closest ally, but at the same time our society kind of shuns japan because of the whole pearl harbor thing.

It's like taking some sort of bizarre red pill.

It really took off in the second half of the 20th century because of Japan's economic growth and the fact that the US has promoted the hell out of Japanese culture (almost completely unintentionally).

Video games
2D waifus
Produces more TV animation than the west
Barely any violence

First off, try to remember this goes both ways. Not only is japanese culture appealing to westerners, but western culture is appealing to japanese cultures

Part of this is due to shared interests. Both America and Japan hate China to the everliving fuck. The recent Taiwan shit you probably heard about this morning is going to cement relationships between Donald Trump and Shinzo Abe, anything that stirs China's pot is good news for the japs.

So we share this relationship with the country where they are a special kind of friend.

This has lead to increase consumption of japanese media in the west. Not just anime, autovehicles, karaoke, media. This planted the seeds of japanese culture in our minds when we were children. Remember the Dragon Ball Z fad back in the day?

Growing up though, people who started to research japanese culture a little bit found how different it was to western culture, and different is good. Some people seek that kind of escape where they eventually want to leave the country or try something new.

So to go to somewhere like Japan is seen as extremely appealing since we're good friends with them anyway, and they WANT to be friends with us (as opposed to going to a country that HATES Westerners, like anywhere in the middle east, or going somewhere fucking DANGEROUS like Mexico)

If Japan had a culture where they hate westerners you wouldnt' see so much interest in people going there. They want us. (at a safe distance)

>pearl harbor
You mean that 9/11 of the 1940's?

I never heard a Dutch person talk about Japan.

Except for the occasional: JAPAN PUT MY GRANDFATHER/MOTHER IN A CAMP IN INDONESIA. THEY ARE EVIL AND TORTURED THEM.

And: oh, the monarchy of Japan is visiting the Netherlands.

it really isnt. All i know is that they make anime and tentacle hentai

>Part of this is due to shared interests. Both America and Japan hate China to the everliving fuck.

Not really. The US has traditionally been quite positive towards China.

>Open Door Policy in the 1800s
>Telling Japan to fuck off when it tried to annex bits of China after WWI
>The "China Lobby" in Congress that helped stoke outrage when the Japanese were raping/murdering millions of Chinese in the 1930s
>Nixon opening relations with China in the 70s to take advantage of the Sino-Soviet split
>Hugely important trading partner

Sure, our government complains about Chinese currency devaluation and their government complains about tariffs, but that's standard trade talk, it was the same with the Japanese in the 80s. There's some tension over Chinese aggression in the South China Sea, but it's nowhere near the tension that existed between America and Britain prior to the 1870s, and just look at us now.

The Japanese do absolutely loathe them though.

If i were to express my true red-pilled thoughts on pearl harbor other people wearing my flag would call for my blood.

*And yes, we fought against them in the Korean War. But that was more than 60 years ago, and it didn't last very long.

I like their isolationism, family values and aesthetics desu. Something west lost or is losing rapidly. Still i don't get why would anyone sit in the shower tho.

The "red-pilled" Pearl Harbor talk seems to consist of taking historical facts (Roosevelt knew the Japanese would try to start a war, he was willing to accept that) with absurd conspiracy nonsense (Roosevelt laid half his fleet out in Hawaii and told the Japanese "come get it!"). The US government was expecting an attack on Guam or the Philippines. Pearl Harbor caught them by surprise.

was anime really an economic strategy?

>Not really. The US has traditionally been quite positive towards China.

Where in america do you live?

Here in new england (most liberal part of the country) a ton of people despise china.

>isolationism

The US pretty much created the global order, our country hasn't been isolationist since 1798.

Currently living in DC, grew up in Miami and spent a lot of time in North Carolina and Texas

Not you, the Japs. You don't have any worthwhile culture

The US already knew the attack on pearl harbor before hand, since they already cracked the purple encryption machine before the start of the war.
Yes because the carriers were not stationed there during the day of the attack from pure (((coincidence))) am I right?

>You don't have any worthwhile culture

WE HAVE CHEESEBURGERS

>Why is Japanese culture so appealing to the Westerners?
only in Sup Forums

>family values
HA
HA
H
A

I love them m8, also peanut butter

>only in Sup Forums

>implying

Anyone from generation X to the milennial generation has some interest in japanese culture .Not our fault since when we were 8 year old kids japanese media was all that we consumed.

Yugioh, Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z, literally everything was japanese.

A childhood raised on that is going to create affinity towards that culture in adulthood.

Kids these days are watching shit like Adventure Time, so I think that the milennials are the last generation that will be affected by japanese culture.

Texas pls elaborate

>Kids these days are watching shit like Adventure Time
You mean one piece and nurutu

>one piece
>nurutu
>2016

It's clean, first world and not corrupt unlike SEA and Africa.

>A childhood raised on that is going to create affinity towards that culture in adulthood.

it's the ultimate culture for manchildren

hmm

Wrong generation.

10 year old kids aren't watching one piece and naruto.

This is retarded OP, White people have always had a fascination with East Asian cultures and to a lesser extinct India.

Sub-saharan """""culture"""" is dancing around half-naked for the cow god.

Muslim """"culture"""" is bashing your head off the ground facing a rock an epileptic polygamist pedophile warlord touched hundreds of years ago.

Obviously you're going to enjoy learning about Chink, Gook, or Nip culture more than that.

What i'm saying is that the japanese nurtured us when we were kids, like a gardener watering a plant.

They planted the seeds, the current interest in japanese culture is the resulting sprout.

It's dying off though, japanese culture will become a niche meme in a decade, maybe sooner. Hopefully Trump doesn't fuck up the U.S./Japan alliance before i get my work visa.

''''''''''the Japanese culture'''''''''''' is already dead, at least no longer effective. Don't miss '''''''''Chinese cartoons''''''''' coming soon!

Eh, we are arguably more culturally dead then you, but there is still a lot of distinct sit that gets noticed by strangers but not you.
Stuff like that seems to run deeper then you can exppect if you were brought up in it.

He's not really Japanese Hans.

>aka stupid self-destruction these days
What did he mean by this ?

hello korean

hope you enjoy your holidays in japan

good

yes I can clearly see in terms of architecture they are quite diverse

Because of order and modesty. It's the promised land for white people in a time when loud, chaotic shitskins run over western civilization and their so-called values get perpetuated by Jews in the media.

This is why people never take Leafs seriously.

I think he meant more like post-war anti-earthquake concrete building kinda thing.

Concrete is pretty souless it's hard to argue with that.

By the way I was always wondering,
Why some of Sup Forums people hate japan so much? Some of people ”Even Japanese flag” always say bad to japan no matter what people is talking.
What is wrong of them?

>t. Ahmed or Mugumbe

Report me to Trudeau then.

Because even prior to the end of Japan's self-imposed isolation, it was still a very orderly and civilized place compared to the overwhelming majority of 3rd world shitholes elsewhere in the world, while still maintaining a lot of exoticism.

Mostly it's because people like you pretend to be Japanese on an anonymous Albanian typewriter repair forum.

Hallo corean. I see you enjoy live in Nippon. Good.

What??www but I'm real Japanese.

even if you are, most people hate japanese flags because so many people pretend to be japanese

lol no you're not, you're most likely an English teacher

>코리아부

안녕?

But it's not related to real Japanese www
That's really false charge to real Japanese.
And for my observation, pretended Japanese people is useally saying bad about japan such as himOr saying very stupid rambom anime like things to make us look super stupid. Pls help....

annyeong is the only korean word i know

>but at the same time our society kind of shuns japan because of the whole pearl harbor thing.
holy shit you serious? Wtf. Why are Americans so dumb?

Japanese english is so qt...

because you dumb shitheads deny Nanjing

It's no choice. I'm just putting the words together which I learned from my teen age school life and get the words from google. My English has no grammar.
But I hope I can believe myself Is smart enough to communicate with this very few knowlege of English what I know lol

lurk more you kid, or fuck off. you get pissed off by people pretending Japanese? oh god, this is why I like to pretend like typical gooks/chinks

Pls stop to talk about politic things here.
And if you are real Japanese what is actual problem with deny the killing of mass chink past? It's not problem.
Are you chink?
Oh no. Let's stop stop. I don't want to be like that here in Sup Forums. Anyway pls don't say bad about japan with japan flag.
Everyone knows you are not a Japanese. Ok?

>so are cultures of Sub-Saharan Africa or SEA and they aren't getting nearly the same amount of attention
Japs are the ones who had some success with imperialism and conquest, had a major role in WWII and they're the most advanced nation on the East. It's very hard to have any cultural influence without some power backing you, no matter the quality of your culture.

The japanese as a concept had a neutral connotation. Like for example nobody likes us media here because its just jews making stuff about cuckoldry and homosexuality to corrupt our children since they are young and naive.

Japanese Media seems to not follow any political agenda but actually making as much money as possible.

Zitto animale

Can you pretend-nips shut the fuck up already? We all know you are an English teacher pretending to be Japanese cause you're a dirty fucking weeaboo

But anyway what I always thinking is we are still very bad at telling about our culture?
May be you guys don't know how many great wooden Buddhist statue which is almost realism is existed in old middle century of japan.
And great meiji era art like chokin, Makie art of japan. And so on.
And our tourism is really shit.
People can't understand about japan such a shitty tourism environment even we can understand English. Even hostel or ryokan can't understand English..

Passing fad desu.

You had 16th Century cunts going Weeaboo over Ottoman/Persian shit, and then 17th-18th Century cunts going Chinkboo, and now Korea's possibly up next.

>Chinese

FUUUUUUU

I like Japanese food, music, movies and videogames. I haven't given it enough thought to see if there's some attractive unifying characteristic or if they simply modernized earlier than other East Asian nations and became more accessible to the West.

>You had 16th Century cunts going Weeaboo over Ottoman/Persian shit
Orientalism was much bigger in the 19th century than in the 16th century

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Joseph_Benjamin-Constant

Just admit your warcrimes already

This realistic Buddhist statue is made at 1185-1333 kamakura era in japan.
Westerner think realism art is only existed in west like Greece and runessance italy?
But 1185-1333 of japan had some realistic Buddhist statue as well.
Bad things is we make boring old man statue but not a besutiful girl or man...

this.

Whole body.

He looks very chinese. Why don't you admit you bought this from the Chinese?

this is the first weeaboo

>nips buy statue from the glorious Middle Kingdom
>"it is Japanese I swear we made it I swear"
lmfao

Because he is Chinese. It's mutyaku san who is the one of the person who got buddisim to japan.it means Yayoi elite.
So we thanks so much and make this statue.

I am greek

It's mutyaku statue made in japan.
What are you talking about?

Indians teached the chinese how to make such sculptures. Chinese teaeched as to japanese.
But the indians learnt it from the Greeks after Alexanders conquests.

You see. Greek teachings are superior.

Also pay debt already

>Whites have small dicks
>Asians have smaller dicks
>Pretend to like culture to justify going for women used to smaller dicks
>???
>profit

thanks china-sama for everything japanese

>i gave it some thought, i think it's because the japanese sense of asthetic is just generally quite pleasing
after all your political and economic discussion still have to overall agree with this.

>and not urban sprawls and megacities that are pretty much the same everywhere on earth
People don't think about that when they think about Japan

Please stop, English teacher

Japan managed to reach world power status back when white Europeans were the masters of the world which increased interest in Japan a lot.
The fact they modernized also meant they had a lot of highly educated people that produced high quality culture.
Before that most Japanse culture was imported from China so when Mao destroyed Chinese culture they were left as the sole example of it
>t.Romanian living in China

1330 - 1500 muronachi era
Ususama myooh statue.
Very dynamic pose like a movie pose. It's made at that age of middle age Japanese also
Sorry small pic

Looks like SEA Sculptures.
You bought this in Thailand don't you?

>But the indians learnt it from the Greeks after Alexanders conquests.
I'm pretty sure that's bullshit senpai. And

>Greek teachings
>India
Alexander's shortest reign was in the indias. He invaded, came in and left just as quick. He didn't particularly "teach" anything.

If anything, the Greeks received more influence as the Greeks that stayed behind, converted to Buddhism after more contact with the Indians (still very minimal tho)

And what happened after he left?
Is it possible that something happened that made Greek the lingua france on those area?
Cmon help me.
I suffer from Alzheimer.