Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1765

JLPT Edition

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Special Sup Forums FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to Sup Forums
We'd like to. Bitch to the mods.

Previous thread: →

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Pq2lcJQwWAA
youtube.com/watch?v=S86ppy4jdxg
jii.moe/VkQFHBAYb.zip
jii.moe/Ey8UHHRK-.zip
ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html#cloze
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_attrition#First_language_attrition_.28FLA.29
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

今日の日本語能力試験を受験するアノンたち
アノン君ならきっとできるよ
がんばって〜

really djt? i had to wake up in the middle of the night to make this thread. nobody else wants to make threads even though i posted a warning in the last thread i wouldnt be able to make a thread

またくん

Thank god you're back. Looking at the rest of the threads on this board is really depressing.

すみません
気が付かなかった

Speed listening 1
youtube.com/watch?v=Pq2lcJQwWAA

おちた

堕ちた

Bookmark this and you'll never have to look at them again.

了解

おちろ
すべろ

Oh good.
One nice thing about being on Sup Forums is even if the rest of the board is godawful vomitinducing shitposting, there's no reason we can't have the same high quality intellectual threads we had on Sup Forums.

>high quality intellectual threads

I just realized that I've been studying Japanese for nearly 9 hours straight.
Is there only so much time I can spend learning a language in a single day before I start to forget everything? What's the optimal amount of hours I should spend on this per day?

I didn't even realize I've been studying this language for so long.

>high quality intellectual threads we had on Sup Forums
Do I detect sarcasm?

/あ/から追い出されたの
おかしい

Half an hour a day is more effective than 9 hours once a week. It takes time for the concepts to sink in, daily repetition will reinforce them.

Having just read the guide, would I be correct in assuming the fundamental tools for learning Japanese (after Hiragana and Katakana) are thus:
1. A grammar guide - eg. Dictionary of Japanese Grammar/Nakama/Genki/Tae Kim/etc.
2. A spaced repetition utility - eg. Memrise/Anki, preferably with a vocabulary set like Core2K to start off
3. Reading materials from which to obtain new vocabulary - eg. simple manga
(And an optional 4. Discrete Kanji study - eg. Kanjidamage, Heisig, etc. for a more robust but slower approach)

Did I miss anything important?

Hey, this is actually a pretty good summary.
The specific recommendations are Tae Kim, Anki with Core2k, Yotsuba or Hanahira, and no step 4.

To the people who took the JLPT - Can you write / speak Japanese?

>I've been studying Japanese for nearly 9 hours straight.
What does this even mean?
I could tell you I've been studying Japanese since I woke up 14 hours ago, if you count lurking 2ch and watching raw cartoons. No reason you shouldn't, though.
Learning a language is about exposure and accretion. I find it hard to imagine you can completely forget anything let alone everything.

3 hours anime daily (min.)

Cheers mate.
I'm still trying to remember my kana at this stage, but I just wanted to make sure I don't stumble once I hit the hard part.

That said I hope stroke order isn't important, if I'm learning kanji via vocabulary.

>What does this even mean?
It means I sat down on my chair, turned on the computer and studied Japanese for almost 9 hours. Granted, I did use the bathroom and eat some snacks, but other than that I've been studying kanji, vocabulary and some of the more complicated grammar topics. Maybe occasionally ask a question on /djt/ about something, but that's it.

I guess you could say I feel accomplished, but I also feel very tired and frankly a little sick.

>I hope stroke order isn't important

12 hours of study a day with lots of sleep.

It doesn't really matter how much slips through your memory net when the net is the size of a house.

>I also feel very tired and frankly a little sick.
無理しないでね

I found this on the other side of internet
Thoughts?

So I'm not supposed to learn kanji independently, but I am somehow expected to know their stroke orders?

You didn't do any reading or listening?

There is a kanji stroke order font available. Just add that to your anki cards and you'll pick it up soon enough.

Holy shit lads that listening section was hard

There is no strict recommendation not to study kanji independently, both sides of that are kind of subjective. You figure out on your own whether kanji study or rote vocab memorization goes smoother for you, then pick one. They both eventually take you to the same place.

You can't mix up kanji stroke order when writing. That's an absolute *can't* because if you do then the kanji will not look like it is supposed to.
Accordingly, you need to know it to be able to read some people's handwriting.
The good news here is that it's pretty intuitive. You'll get a feel for it if you look into it a little bit. Top right to bottom left is the general rule, and there are a limited number of radicals that show up in kanji so once you know most of those you should know the stroke order for the vast majority of kanji as well.

>So I'm not supposed to learn kanji independently
You can if you like, but you don't have to. If you do decide to do it, then I'd recommend the Kodansha Kanji Learner's Course in the CoR.

>top right to bottom left
*Top left to bottom right, sorry.

Thanks again.

(This is exactly the kind of thing I was asking about above, when I questioned whether I had missed anything important.)

So I've started reading yotsuba, and I'm having a hard time recognizing these fonts. How do I get better at this stuff ?

For the ones of you who did the N4, how difficult it was? should I do it next year or should I just do the N3?

Don't do either, study until you're ready for the N1 instead

I'm sure this is what you wanted to hear
"Read more"

Visualise how the character is written in that font from the beginning stroke to the last my polish friend

Alright then, I'll try

I'm basically just remembering the pronunciation with anki, hoping to learn the meaning from reading light novels. I still have the meaning on the card, I just don't care if I get it right. How shitty of an idea is this?

It's not good. Guessing meanings is okay at later stages when it's one word per page or so you don't know, but at earlier stages where you're constantly guessing meanings it won't help you at all. You'll frequently be wrong and constantly reading through a haze of only "kind of" understanding. There's really no benefit to what you're doing.

Pretty horrible assuming it's a core deck. What you're doing is pretty much doing Remember the Kanji with it.

ok thanks user time to get 30% retention for a few months

Good work everyone.
May you achieve good results this time.

I understand your point.

No, and the world will not lose anything if those islands go down.

Holy shit, your sarcasm is shit.

だいじょうぶ

みんなひゃくてんだよ

Are the questions in JLPT the same around the world?

For anyone watching Japanese TV shows, do you translate each line of dialogue immediately? Or do you translate everything you didn't understand after 5 mins, 15 mins, after the entire episode?

I find it a bit futile when I'm translating almost every line of dialog. Will this get easier, or should I refocus on grammar/vocab/easier content?

>do you translate
No

When your Japanese is so bad (no offense) that you have to pause every line to work on understanding, you should be focusing on reading instead of watching TV. It's just far more practical and efficient.

>222777
神様、案内してください

イエス。

よかろう
I know Japanese AMA

頑張ろう、無名たち!できる!
youtube.com/watch?v=S86ppy4jdxg

how do i get faster at reading 横書き chu

>learnt Mandarin as a kid, nobody gave a shit about stroke order
>everyone talks about the importance of stroke order with Japanese
>laugh but try to learn it anyway
>mfw it actually helps
Cool.

Read VNs

>learning Mandarin as a kid
>Mandarin
You econocuck

中国じんです。

hello djt!
I'm looking for a 2k anki deck with only vocab cards. i couldn't find any on the anki shared decks page.

i have an older one from a past djt thread called core2k_6k optimized japanese vocabulary. however that one always shows kanji first. I'd prefer if the first side was audio only or furigana so I could learn to memorize the kanji instead.

Your current deck will work, just edit the card fields in Anki so audio is on the front and then text is on the back.

Sydney or Melbourne?

よんひゃくてんまんてんだから

ひゃくてんじゃそくふごうかくになるよ

Where do you guys download manga RAWs (besides CoR)? Madokami doesn't allow them anymore.

Melbin. Why?

Nyaa and pray. Sometimes I ask my weeb friends if they have them.

bakabt
AB

Light joke about the number of Asians in those two cities. It always takes me by surprise when going there.

We haven't invaded the entire country yet? I'm surprised. What quiet space are you from?

>tfw uni has more Asian students than domestic students now

The one I was searching for (恋情デスペラード) wasn't on Nyaa and Google only gives me a few chapters. I'll try PerfectDark and see if I can find any scans there.

Nvm, found the first two volumes on the archive. Download links if anyone is interested:

jii.moe/VkQFHBAYb.zip
jii.moe/Ey8UHHRK-.zip

I just looked up how to do this. However, the cards are structured in a way that one side is kanji only and the other side is furigana+translation+example sentence.
I'm looking for a deck which has audio or furigana on one side and translation+kanji on the back.

Firstly, the way you want to set up your cards is beyond retarded.
Secondly, Browse -> Choose your deck -> Select a card -> Cards... - > Front Template -> {{Vocabulary-Audio}}

Seriously Hans. Read the fucking manual.

nevermind. I just realized I can edit the html fields myself. thanks for the tip!

what's so retarded about setting it up this way?

>I'd prefer if the first side was audio only or furigana so I could learn to memorize the kanji instead.
Well what are you trying to learn?

If you're trying to learn the kanji, the kanji should be on the front as that's what you're trying to learn the meaning of.
Having the audio only on the front is so-so for listening practice if you want to do that.
Having the furigana on the front of the card is for learning ???

Why are you getting so worked up over how he wants to learn? Who the fuck cares

Hmm. If you were meaning you wanted to do production (as in, write the kanji), there are other tags you can use for that.

You can have example sentences (with audio and the like on the front) with the kanji in question blanked out.

I forget the term for it, but it should be easy enough to find in the anki manual.

Is it required to learn Mandarin in Australia if you're an Australian-born Chinese?

I used to do it this way with my previous anki deck:
>new card
>kanji on top
>look at the whole card
>take time to learn kanji and spelling
>click repeat in try to write it next time upon hearing audio/reading hiragana

I thought it worked pretty well for me until now. But maybe I'm overlooking sth so idk.

きょうもいいいちにちだったら

あしたもいいいちにちになるの

>. I'd prefer if the first side was audio only or furigana so I could learn to memorize the kanji instead.
This is wrong and a waste of time

why is it a waste of time?

I've been learning this way for the last 6 months (when I started). I'm genuinely curious. Is there a faster way? I'm afraid I won't memorize the kanji if I don't learn how to write them by heart in the long run.

Would you be doing the writing out phase every time you reviewed the card?
I still think having the kanji on front and recognising that would be easier way to go. You could always look away/close your eyes to write it out.

Anyhow, have a look at the ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html#cloze section. That seems more production friendly.

I would say almost all ABC kids have gone to weekend school for Mandarin. Out of all of the ABCs I know, all of us went. That being said, most of us still speak shitty Mandarin or lose it completely after we stop learning.

To think I was learning Chinese all along. I already knew about the han versions of 八, 冷 and that one that looks like grass but I wasn't aware they were not japanese... Some fonts slightly change the characters like そ so I thought they were all fair game
I want to sue Google

Off to the JLPT I go lads. Taking the N2 this time. Good luck everyone.

When are the results for the JLPT given back?

The beginning of February. You may be able to check them on line by the end of January.

how do you say "feet" or "soles" in japanese

足底? guess

足 can mean leg or foot.

足の裏、足の底 mean sole of the foot

>losing a language
wat

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_attrition#First_language_attrition_.28FLA.29