Eurorail is a meme

So I have a friend in Norway that's into Italian Cuisine, yet he's never been to Italy. So I was busting his balls about why doesn't he travel since every American knows Europe has cheap, fast, efficient rail. He tells me he would just fly, which made me ponder so I started looking up travel times on European trains because I thought maybe it was just because he was in Norway, but even times within the continent like Berlin to Paris are laughably slow.

So is Eurorail just a meme or what? I know there have to be some high speed routes, what are they?

Yes, those lines aren't everywhere at all
>I know there have to be some high speed routes, what are they?
I know of Paris-Brussels which is like 30-40 min which is ridiculously fast, when i took it i was like "wait what the fuck i can't have arrived already ???"

Meanwhile Paris-Normandy is 2 hours+ despite being much closer

here m8

>why are trains not the same speed as airplanes
What the fuck?

Hope when the Femern tunnel is done, they will make a Hamburg-Stockholm line that is atleast yellow all the way.

It'll probably be cheaper and much quicker to fly yes.

Trains are expensive af
I can get a 1h flight to Paris for 60€, while it takes double that in price and time to get there by train.

China has the fastest rail travel in the world

taking planes takes more time since you need to go to airports and wait for check in and other bullshit like that, just take a train.

WTF is up with the SPB - Moscow line?

this is pretty much the only reason why I take trains. Hate the "planes are faster" meme, you spend half the fucking day doing that shit even if you live close to the airport, and then once you arrive at your destination you are outside the city and have to spend even more time in a cab or on an airport train. With trains you just get in and get out and have a sandwich or watch a movie, and then when you arrive you're right in the middle of the city.

Fuck planes desu

Rail tickets are only cheap if you book a month or two in advance. Otherwise they can be even more expensive than flights

Trains are more comfy too, and the slow bob of the train helps to fall asleep

>norway
>trains
nearly wet myself

Train/bus stations are usually where hobos and other assorted scum congregates though.

Yep, I just think of it as a tour of the countryside. The bright side of Europe being so deforested is there's always a view.

Is it cheaper to go on a different day?
How much would a similar plane ticket cost?

Doesn't matter because you're not forced to sit around and wait in line in them for three hours like airports, you can just walk out once you're there.

Same price for air travel between those cities. And instead of spending 17 hours on your trip you'd be spending 40 minutes. The railway is useless unless you live in Eastern Norway.

sapsan

>online checkin, no drop off baggage, wait like 5 minutes at the security check, buy a sammy in the waiting hall, board the plane, get something to drink and a bite to eat, arrive at your destination, pass through the green gate
vs
>wait for notoriously late trains, fight for a seat as 200 people try to cram in through a tiny ass train door at once or pay premium to get a reserved one, sit forever in a shitty train, no free drinks or food, can't use your phone half of the ride because there is no signal in bumfuck nowhere, pay double the amount of a flight, arrive at the trainstation, have to pass by hordes of homeless and scum

population density is just too low for trains to work more efficiently, population would need to increase by at least 50% in germans, more in other countries, before you see china / japan level of train convenience

also while trains generally have the ability to go 250 km/h+ they usually do 130 at best, with a lot of sections going even slower

not to mention that a direct flight ticket within europe is probably less expensive than that kind of long ass train ride

Germanys shit rail infrastructure isn't representative of an actually developed countries' rail infrastructure though, is it?

wew what poverty-tier trains are you booking? even in Poland they have food and drinks, plenty of space, and reserved seats. Here they don't generally, but usually they have wifi.

they'e the only 2 relevant cities in that gigantic pile of shit. of course you'd have a direct high speed railway between them

trains are for plebs
if the distance is short enough to consider riding a train you might as well just go by car

So how do you go to a far away place where there's no airport or one that has no frequent flight?

fly to the nearest airport and drive from there.

How do you get your car on the plane?

German efficiency

>rent-a-car