One country, one official language
Or
One country, many official languages?

>Anglo insecure by the idea of being able to speak multiple languages

So surprising

0 countries
No borders

well we don't have any official language federally and it's fine

I wouldn't say I'm insecure. I'm weighing up the benefits. For decades, the traditional European nation-state has promoted similar language policies where one language or dialect would be favoured above all others and given generous government support. Other dialects or languages were discouraged either with public humiliation or no government funding. These policies were then copied by parts of Asia and Africa leading to the world we have today.

The traditional argument is that it's good for nation building. That we must all speak Standard English/German/French only if we want to build a strong country. The question is, is that true?

Strong in what sense?

I think there is much to be said how India has remained in a firmly democratic tradition thanks to its considerations of its multi-ethnic identity whereas the relatively homogenous Pakistan devolved into a dictatorship.

The same could be seen in the history of Brazil

The US is very culturally homogeneous though, it doesn't really count.

One language. Fuck being forced to know how to speak the language of a minority of the population if you ever want a well paying job.

t. Venesulan on vacation

>leftypol

>Live in an area where there is are so few French speakers that the census doesn't even show French
>There are more fucking Hindi and Mandarin speakers on a single street than French speakers in the entire city
>Still can't get a local city government job unless you're fluent in French.

>The US is very culturally homogeneous though

Are you mental?

This. Learning languages is a pain in the ass.

India is a very odd case mate, Our motto has always been "UNITY IN DIVERSITY". We are proud that we are completely different people but we live under the same nation.

Im a south indfag, doesnt matter to me as long as theres one common language that we can use to communicate and get things done with(ENGLISH).

The whole "indian" mentality didnt really exist before. Honestly I see myself as telugu then south indian then an indian. If I was in india and it was india against pakistan or something then yea id be up for fighting as an indian but overall I dont really pay much attention to it unless its at a big event with everyone from india participating.

>relatively homogenous

I'll give you credit for the linguistic fractionalization. But in terms of ethnic differences (and religion slightly), Pakistan is far from homogenous.

That's the whole point of India, we never took the identity of people to build a nation out of it. We give freedom to states the reason why states like Kerala are so good and states like Bihar stinks at all the levels.

The reason why even having so many separatist militant organization, they don't have much local support

It wasn't homogeneous in the beginning, it is homogeneous now because they committed a genocide of almost all of their minorities.

One country, one official language that all people use in public matters but non official languages can be used by native speakers amongst themselves.

I know I shouldn't be this skeptical (obviously you have more insight regarding this topic), but I've read a study by Alesina et al. (Harvard University, 2003) which ranked Pakistan higher than India on their ethnic fractionalization index. They gauged this by asking people from the same country for their ethnicity. Afterwards, they calculated the odds for getting different answers from random nationals of that country. The higher the odds, the more ethnically "fractionalized" or diverse it was.

Pic related

how come punjab sindhi chitrai area dont join india while pashtun and baloch go on their own.

pakistani is a false nationality based on to racial tribes.
it be like piling slavics with germanics or turkics

just like indians, no such thing, but being punjabi telegu bihari etc are

lol when europe compalins of diversity

delet

It seems like the Harvard students were complete retards. You don't measure ethnic diversity by asking questions to few people, you do it by observing their ways of life, understanding their culture.

I mean it shows Pakistan more diverse than India and Europe, while India is having a significant Mongoloid, Dravidian and Caucasian population. There are 29 states here who are completely different in culture with each other, having their own unique traditional customs and dresses and languages.

May be we got the low score because we meme things like pic related into our school children

Actually we do have toilets. And we are trying to provide toilets to those who don't.

Also first, even if we shit in streets, we do that on our streets of our own country, you shouldn't have problem with that.

Second we are trying to improve things for our poor unlike the niggers of Africa who's best action to tackle poverty and hunger is to ask money from you people as donations.

Please don't feed the troll.
It's the reason why poo in loo still a thing

Okay...

Well, that's were you make the distinction between ethnic diversity and cultural diversity. You can have two groups of different ethnicities but same culture (e.g. Gilaki and Mazandarani of northern Iran) or same ethnicity but different cultures (e.g. Tigrinya and Tegaru in Eritrean/Ethiopian highlands). I see your point, but you can't put full blame on the Harvard team for not accommodating to your definition. I also agree culture is very important for determining diversity, but the students were focused solely on ethnicity.

>Honestly I see myself as telugu then south indian then an indian
good that you fled this place. post-modernists should be locked in a room and gassed, t b h.

>The question is, is that true?
Then why don't you search for statistics about proportion of the population of countries that feel a strong connection to their country and compare it to like the proportion of the population of countries that speak the official/national/working language or whatever instead of coming here

ela unnavu

One country, NO official language. That's the freedom way.