The Italian Mafia

To what extent is Italy really run by the Mafia and other criminal organisations? Is their influence growing or shrinking? Is it just in the south of the countr? Is the Mafia a meme organisation bigged up by stupid Hollywood film-makers?

Wait the mafia is not a meme ?

Italy 3rd world confirmed

I lived in Italy for some time. Mafia has greater power in the South, were infrastructure and opportunities are lacking. In the North is not as noticeable.

I can make a comparison to Mexico, where the South is devoid of civilization and impunity reigns, while the capital and center is much more tranquil and "normal".

Apart from that, I don't know more about it.

From what I've heard, in towns in the South most businesses pay protection to the Mafia.

But aren't the most cartel run areas the north and center? The south may be 3rd world but at least they aren't getting beheaded.

>To what extent is Italy really run by the Mafia and other criminal organisations?
Once in a while you hear about some camorra-owned business somewhere and newspapers talk as if your local butcher payed pizzo.
>Is their influence growing or shrinking?
Shrinking since a couple decades.
>Is it just in the south of the countr?
The south has more shitty areas therefore powers other than the State find an opportunity to manage things. Pretty much the same phenomenon happening in many full-islamic neighbourhoods in the rest of Europe.
>Is the Mafia a meme organisation bigged up by stupid Hollywood film-makers?
Nowadays Mafia's dwarfed by Camorra and 'ndrangheta, which became pretty much multinationals.

Outside Mexico you don't here much about the South. We do.

The high profile "events" usually happen in border regions and ports, which are highly contested areas and have a lot of media just waiting for something. That's why the behead and dismember bodies. Because it's shocking and the media will pick on it.

The density of crime is greater in the South when looking at the country as a whole.

>center
No

I'm bored, so I'm going to give you an essay. You have to understand what the mafia is. It's both a group of people and a system of governing/controlling a territory. The second one implies a degree of consent by the people. Also we have several mafia-like organizations :^)
>To what extent is Italy really run by the Mafia and other criminal organisations?
It's not "run by the mafia" in the larger sense, but there are definitely very huge sacks where they can do what they want. But mainly what mafia-like cartels draw their profits from is 1) drug traffic 2) public contracts in building
They definitely took some huge strikes in the last few years and the foreign cartels are eating a part of their profits, on the other hand some of them are extremely good at branching and finding political backers to do moneylaundering
>Is it just in the south of the country?
Some scary things where a whole town would back the mafia boss saying he did nothing wrong are just in the South (some parts of it), and I'd like to say it's shrinking a bit with time. Mafia as a system? It has perfectly integrated with the Northern economy, especially building. EXPO 2015 in Milan was revealed to have been thoroughly infiltrated
The Mafia as you see it in movies is entirely a meme that romanticizes what used to exist until the 1960, before mass emigration to North Italy and before drug traffick got really big. If anything what's weird is that those Hollywood movies shaped the new generation of mafiosos in Italy who now actually take their AESTHETIC from shit like Scarface and the likes
Have a very Italian picture to go with all this

>EXPO 2015
lel I was there

Thank you, that's informative. I do get the impression the traditional Mafia is a waning, has-been organisation overshadowed by more vigorous and diverse criminal outfits.

How do Italians see Mussolini today, I cant imagine picture of Hitler standing in german newspaper stand same way

Gommorrah is a good book about them

I've always been in North Italy only so I looked up some south Italian towns on streetview
Holy fuck it's really somewhere between South America and Middle East, no reason to not think that Mafia is still a thing there.

how do albanians fit into this

An Hero. A true hero. Too bad for the post 1938 direction.

Good friend of your Ante Pavelic.

Btw, i never supported Pavelic cession of Dalmatia to us, since venetians and dalmatians in your coasts were basically extinct in 1900 (even if i heard that many dalmatian loanwords are still used in modern dalmacian dialect, is it true?).

Interesting. What's public perception of the mafia in Italy (the real one)? Are they hated, feared, mocked, loved, ignored?

That guy know it's shit, but I feel like to add.
Mafia is tied strongly with politics. They don't run for charges, but have public men do it for them.
Also worth of note mafia helped usa invasion of sicily in WWII, or it wouldn't have gone so smoothly.

hired cannon fodder

mafia still even exists in USA
my aunt was engaged to a made man of the bruno crime family when she was younger

The answer is: yes mafia rules our country.

Pic related, Luca De Vincenzo, in the latest days was part of a "scandal" because he was recorded during a meeting with his party colleagues (Partito Democratico) and he was saying in a mafious way basically to use every method to earn and buy votes for the SI at the referendum.

In particular he said at one of his men to offer fried fish lunches to people in order to buy a vote for their cause.

De Luca himself, if the SI had won, would have been able to modify our constitution. Think about it.

Berlusconi himself was a perfect example of mafia in charge, making ad personam laws to protect he, his family and his business, buying judjes at trials and corrupting witnesses.

Our country seriously need to purge our corridors of power, we NEED IT.

Funfact: mafia helped the US during WWII, as a reward they put a mafioso as a new mayor in each town giving Sicily to the Mafia

Aside from a couple of municipalities in the deep south, not at all.
It's pretty stable overall. Mafia and Camorra are down, but 'Ndrangheta is going pretty strong.
>Is it just in the south of the countr?
From a criminality point of view, yes. In the north they mostly only deal in money laundering.
It's definitely bigged up a lot in the movies, but it's not meme.

apparently the Italian mafia is in charge of building the new metro-line in Copenhagen. They also smuggle drugs while transporting the material, and nobody knew.

mafiosi come to Germany if Italy is looking for them. We don't have anti mafia laws like them so even if we find out someone belongs to the mafia we can't do shit. There are many in Baden-Württemberg

just watch Gomorra

It's interesting you bring up the Italian Mafia imitates the Mafia of American movies. In North America movies like the Godfather, Scarface and Goodfellas had a very strong impact on how Italian Americans and Italian American gangsters saw themselves. They were criminals but it brought a certain dignity, camaraderie and even sophistication to how Italians saw themselves, rather than illiterate street thugs, brick layers, organ grinders, labourers. FBI and police tapes have undercover recordings of Italian American mafia members just quoting lines from the Godfather to each other. The entire concept of a mafia 'Godfather' was invented by Mario Puzo but then the American Mafia liked it so much they adopted it.

Of course Italian Americans and Real Italians are worlds apart, and in Italy newer, more nimble criminal organizations have pushed the old Mafia out in many places. But it's amazing to think that films about crime would be so influential that the criminals imitate it.

What a shithole of a country.

I would rather live in a dictatorship of 100% totalitarism with one tyrant at the top and oppression according to written law, than in some semi-feudal shithole where local despots are shitting up your daily life arbitrarily.

you couldve made this post one setnence