Soup Sup Forums

soup Sup Forums,
pick out my new laptop
I'm looking for a 15" laptop able to do some gaming but mostly for graphic design. I want intel i5 or i7, dedicated graphics card 2gb ram min, 1920x1080 or better, hdd, sshd or ssd doesn't matter I plan on upgrading to a 1tb ssd down the road anyways, Id like an optical drive but its not a deal breaker
im looking at the Dell 6th Gen Intel Quad-Core i5-6300HQ

tl;dr pick me out a mid-level laptop under $850

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B015PYYDMQ/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B015PYYDMQ&linkCode=as2&tag=wiknix-20&linkId=L5GV4XIIQFXVTMNG
amazon.com/K501UX-Discrete-Gaming-Laptop-Windows/dp/B0146DD02G/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1446745383&sr=1-4&keywords=asus laptop
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>gaming
>laptop

some gaming nigger. not hardcore neckbeard gaming

hmm looks like anyone who knows anything isnt here, must be all redditfags

Nerds

so edgy

What new laptop doesn't have a fucking optical drive you fucking idiot.

also if you're doing graphic design, you're gonna want more than two fucking cores

>this is the worst thread ive ever started.
im just going to buy the dell
im going out for a smoke i expect when i get back you wont be here.
lots of them dont you stupid nigger. theyre getting phased out

>Dedicated graphics card
>Laptop
>under $850

I'll give it to you short, you won't get a laptop that will play anything beyond Terraria and FNV on low for $850 or under. You can get a decent laptop, but forget about gaming on it except for low graphics games.

Just go get a $600 ASUS or something, laptops are either shit from 2008, decent, or incredible (incredibly expensive that is)

photoshop doesnt use that much resource... I ran it on a core2duo with 3gb ram for a while. whats your suggestion?

OP plz

yeah but check out the Dell 6th Gen Intel Quad-Core i5-6300HQ. that should play games on medium, it probably wont be 60 fps but that doesnt bother me, i play diablo 3 and gta 5 and a few other games. most the shit i play would be crap off steam. not to mention if I upgraded to a 1tb ssd and I have a desktop for heavier games

amazon.com/gp/product/B015PYYDMQ/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B015PYYDMQ&linkCode=as2&tag=wiknix-20&linkId=L5GV4XIIQFXVTMNG
this is the one Im looking at

Got em

That doesn't really seem too good for $800 tbh. It isn't a bad one, but I got my ASUS with an i7 and 8gb of ram for only $500 at Best Buy. It WAS on sale though, it plays quite a few games but it won't play anything too graphics intensive.

If you're doing online shopping though I'm sure there are websites out there with better suggestions, makes me wish I would have kept up on tech a bit more.

checked

Here you go OP. Recommended this to a customer and did some work on it for her, doing a clean install and setup when it arrived. Amazing laptop for the price, and Asus is a great brand.

amazon.com/K501UX-Discrete-Gaming-Laptop-Windows/dp/B0146DD02G/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1446745383&sr=1-4&keywords=asus laptop

but does it have 4gb dedicated ram, 960m graphics card, a ssd, full hd? whats your specs or model? im open to options. thats why I posted for advice

Graphic Design
>photoshop

kek. Illustrator you fucking casual

thanksanon. how is asus vs dell for bloatware? will I have to wipe and reintall windows? I may check microsoft and see if they have it on their signature line either way but just curious

>implying I dont have all of creative cloud pleb

Still gonna want at least 4 gm vram unless you want to have an antique right away.

So whats the cutoff in price for a decent gaming laptop? I was thinking about getting one too. Can you build a laptop?

the dell has that with a quad core i5. plus computers havent been increasing in speed the way they were a decade ago where there was a new faster computer every week so im not super worried. any suggestions?

Dell and HP are the worst for bloatware, Asus is very very minimal. Regardless I always do a clean install upon purchasing a new laptop, Windows 10 can be downloaded straight to a bootable USB using Windows Media Creation Tool direct from Microsoft. The Asus I linked you is extremely light and made of a full aluminium chassis that I found quite nice. Not sure about the Dell you linked, but it is certainly heavier.

You implied you just use photoshop for Graphic Design, get the fuck out

Usually about $1k+ for a decent one. Better off with a gaming desktop and a normal laptop. Anyone know of any websites to get a good discount? I know microsoft offers a $200 credit for trade ins and you can find a laptop to trade in on ebay for like $75, saving you about 100, but i dont want to deal with that

It was an example for design programs and how much resources they use you tryhard autist

Talking about Graphic Design
You say "Photoshop doesnt take much to run" which implies thats that you use.
There's no way I could've known that was "an example for design programmes" you fucking mongo

Yeah i definitely noticed. The asus is about 4lbs lighter. I know toshiba is known for bloatware but i never even looked at dells till now. Ive always heard good things about asus. I dont trust lenovo since the news of the built in back doors and i dont know enough about msi, so its been narrowing down my options. Im gonna check into that asus though, i was kinda hoping to find one with a good core but smaller hdd since im swapping for a ssd anyways to save $. Probably a longshot.

U mad. Why would i not have all of cc? Were you expecting i was running cs3 or some shit?

Yeh, pretty much every recent laptop with a newer skylake CPU has an SSD instead of HDD. They're slowly being phased out from laptops in favor of SATA and PCIE SSD's. I have a WD Black 6GB in my desktop that performs almost on par with an SSD but laptops HDD's are still garbage, so it makes sense. With brands like Dell they market the more obvious components, the ones people looks for in the specs, and then save money on things like MoBo, where brands like Asus use quality parts even where they won't show on a spec sheet.

How would I know what you have when you imply you use photoshop for graphics like a pleb would. If you did use PS for graphics, I would expect CS3 or some shit.. Obviously a misunderstanding.

Acer Aspire E 15 E5-574G-52QU 15.6-inch Full HD. Its on amazon exclusively. I can play games like skyrim on med setting 1080p fallout 4 low 720p and arma 3 on near max with about 45 to 60 frames. Its only like 600 or so. Dedicated nvidia 940m 4 gig vram and 8 gig ram with an i5 5200u which can be upgraded to an i5 6200u

In fact a lot of the 15" and under do not have optical drives because they're more portable without them, OP is correct when he says they're being phased out too. You made yourself look like a fool.

haha no worries, I had a smile on my face the whole time. I dont take the internet seriously. I mean come on, its Sup Forums kek

Graphics design is cpu heavy so look for a quad core with a high clock freq I bought an asus 4500U or something like that 3 years ago, still runs like new 3,1Ghz dual core gt750m 2gb card 4gb ram, got it new for 500$, guessing that the slow hdd is the bottle neck but i can still run a game like gta5 fine also my cpu might be bottlenecking too, but if you get a ssd it should run pretty fkin good

Ayy lmao. Hope you get yourself a decent laptop

thanks user, scoping it out now
you wouldnt happen to know if the m.2 ssd's can be swapped for a larger one and setup as a slave or any kind of second drive instead of cache do you? the hdd+ssd laptops have me curious. I assume that theyre not compatible

Yes they can. The M.2 in laptops functions just the same as a desktop. However they are usually configured of the line as a cache drive to the main HDD. If you wipe and format both drives from a bootable USB such as a Windows installer they appear as separate drives. You can have your M.2 for boot and a larger HDD for storage, same as a desktop.

thanksanon. hope youre having a goodnight

checked. good to know thanks. im sure thats where your bottleneck is, unless you dont have hyperthreading (not to sound like an intel shill) which could be part of it. you can find 1tb ssd online for a buck and a quarter nowadays (i wanna say ebay iirc thats where I saw that price last). hardest part is dealing with transferring all your files

Mfw I have a gaming laptop that is better than all my friends actual towers

nice! so theoretically if I had the $ I could run 2 separate 1tb ssd on my laptop with a cpl of wipes and some bios?

Op I have an Asus Rog it was 1200 but they have lots of model I'm sure you could find one for your price range also mine plays rainbow six siege at Pretty good graphics quality along with the witcher 3

kek. 'snice. what are you operating user?

That

Yep. You could install the largest M.2 drive and Largest 2.5 inch Sata SSD drive you could find and they'd work the same as any desktop. The hardware is absolutely no different, it's the software that accomplished the SSD cache for HDD effect.

Your friends have shit towers and you have a nice laptop, what's your point?

It has an i7 and 965m in it and 1tb ssd

My point I can still handle hardcore gaming even on a laptop so stop raising your nose at people you dumb nigger

yeah I was looking at those.They definitely give me a nerd boner. some ppl said the build wasnt the best on those though? something about the shell and the hinges flopping when you type and I know the older ones got hot as shit. what do u think? you like it?

Sup Forumsro, I think you made my night.

checked. 965 is 2gb right? nice laptop.

My laptop rn doesn't have an optical drive. It can still play most games pretty well. Fallout NV, Dark souls II, Borderlands 2, Insurgency, the Dead Island games, XCom etc.,

I love it I rarely use the keyboard on it I have my mechanical keyboard plugged in and running 3 screens (tv,monitor,and the laptop screen) I'd post a pic but I'm at work Rn, they are good laptops I read they have some Hardware issues sometimes but I haven't had any issues neither has my friend he has the same laptop just one stepdown with the graphics card, deff worth looking into

I made none of the previous comments, just that one. No need to comfort the insecurities of your purchase by lashing out at me. Do you have a laptop capable pf more than adequate gaming? Absolutely, high end gaming on a laptop is certainly achievable and I never said anything against such a claim. The reality however is you paid a significant premium for that hardware to size ratio, one that is hardly justifiable. A dedicated gaming desktop with budget laptop combo would have made more sense. But keep being butthurt, it's nice.

also I got it like 2 years ago.

Yes it is

the problem comes when you need boot disks or whatever else. itd just be nice to have. yeah theres usb, but then youre dealing with mounting or converting iso's and all kinds of shit

If you've got 2500 to burn go for msi ghost pro,,

No worries m8, it's my job haha

this guy's got it.

Idk man I feel like it runs pretty much every game I play at amazing specs even with just a 965m and also I'm not mad at my purchase It was my first step into pc gaming and it's done me well so far I probably will get a tower some day

What? You can boot from any bootable CD using a USB CD drive. You absolutely do not require a built in CD drive, a USB one accomplishes the same thing. Not to mention that any ISO or disc image can be recreated on a thumb drive for the same effect as a disc. A physical CD is NOT required whatsoever, a USB CD drive literally functions exactly the same, but at potentially lower speeds.

In the end op, get what you want I find laptop gaming easier for if I wanna go somewhere and bring the games with me

those were both me you were replying to. im gonna look at them more (after I look at my bank account, kek), ms does a student discount and it doesnt look like they verify so i can get it for $100+ off and its already wiped of bloatware. I just have to make sure I saw it on there

let me check in my couch cushions..

Msi isn't bad either I have a friend who has one he loves it

im gonna give you all my internets anyways

Try something from the Envy series. I cant remember my model in particular but it's got an 840m, 8 gb ram and i7 (clocked at 2.4ghz) and it handles games and graphic design fairly well. Shitty clock speed holds it back though.

Graphic design - if you are serious and older than 16, then a MacBook Pro.

I just meant that its extra steps since you cant boot off a simply mounted .iso, etc. not that its not possible to use USB, I could have phrased it better I guess.

Thanks, I'll take it.

You speak my language user

trustworthy brand? I know theyre newer... some of these brands have skeletons in their closets and are sheisty as hell

I can't say trustworthy honestly haven't done enough research

Easy with that b8 m8, there may be a hook in there.

MSI is a very solid brand, laptop and desktop component wise.

I dont need an overpriced paint by numbers computer, I have other things to do than design

i would hope so

checked. at least youre honest, thanks. other ppl would bs to pretend they know more
checked. thanks user. Ill add them back to my list to check out.

Im actually glad I made this thread tonight, kinda feels like old Sup Forums. before we were invaded by trendy fucks with rate me threads and all that shit

It's threads like these that make me realize I'm an outcast even here, along with everywhere else..

Wat? Why?

The true Sup Forums goes even further back into autism than that, but I feel your feels friend. There are always a couple threads that remain unsoiled.

It's tough being a NEET I imagine. No discernible skills or knowledge whatsoever. Don't worry, one day you'll find your place.

Because I have no idea what any of you geeks are talking about, besides that it's about laptops. I'm just not versed in such diction.

No I'm saying you losers are the NEETs, you think any normie would know what the fuck you're talking about?

We are just making shit up tbh nothing we say is actually plausible

Wtf, how long is this gif? I've been watching it for over 10 minutes so far.

I have no response to this buffoonery.