Tell me why this language isn't completely useless to learn

Tell me why this language isn't completely useless to learn.
>Protip: You can't.

Other urls found in this thread:

mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's a good scripting language for simple tasks.

Perhaps, but you cannot run the program on any computer that does not have Python installed whereas almost any other programming language allows you to do so.

What's a good language to learn for absolute programming beginners.

Everyone says "Durr, Python is by far the easiest!" but if you really want to learn programming, you could just as easily learn C++ and be able to do so much more with it.

It's worse then Perl, but easier to learn.
And hiring the lowest common denominator is cheap.

Python is also not as shit as Ruby.
And I wouldn't wish PHP on my worst enemy.

Why the hell would you ever compile it to a program?

C++, because it's easier to learn than C.
But the best beginner book teaches a dialect of Lisp, for some reason.
>mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/

>C++, because it's easier to learn than C.
Wasn't clear on this: C++ is worse then C, so move on eventually.
But it's a good stepping stone.

Thanks for the advice!

I am not saying it is the worst language, I'm simply saying it is completely worthless to learn.

psh yeah okay.
You really only need C++ for industrial strength programs with high space and time complexity.
Python is perfectly fine for anything casual, games, data crunching, scripting, etc.

Python is nearly completely worthless if you're planning on distributing any of those things you mentioned.

If you're a complete and utter noob at programming, I get it, but why would you pick the special needs programming language over the one that has more complex features and allows you to compile your program with ease?

I make 100k a year with it.
It doesn't have to run on every computer in order to be useful. Backend programs of servers of many websites use it.

Python is the most human readable programming language, and gets shit done.

How did you learn python? A good book to start with?

>Python is the most human readable programming language

This is a completely irrelevant point to make. It doesn't matter if it's "human readable" simply because the standard user would just run the program without even thinking about what makes it work the way it does. If you hire a programmer that is proficient in a specific language, they're going to be able to interpret and understand the contents of the code no matter what its correlation to the English language is.

What about java?

C++ for programming
Python for math

>>Python is the most human readable programming language
>This is a completely irrelevant point to make.

Not if you're a student learning programming it isn't.

dude what the fuck
human readibility is a very importaint aspect of programming. if this would not be the case, everything would be coded in assembler.

java

is a nice tool in many cases

Please; if a student really wants to learn programming, it shouldn't be that hard to remember that "cout" is the equivalent to "print".

Oh fuck, while we're all here, can anyone tell me how i can add save/load functionality into a text game using python? Im making a map, using a list of lists. Its a final project for the class.

It also shouldn't be that hard to actually run your program before sending it in either, but they still manage to fail on that as well.