Ask an EMT anything

Ask an EMT anything

How long/hard was school?

if you showed up on site and the patient was dead would you take their wallet

Not too bad, 4 months

No, just the cash

How many placebos would it take to kill me?

Do you ever masturbate at work/had sex on the job?

Ayyy user im finishing my emt course up right now.
How about them dcap-btls?
How about that national registry exam?

where's da noodz bish?

Really? There's not a degree to get, just the training?

Also im this fag.
Are you going into fire or medic?
Because being JUST an emt is fucking stupid.

Easy stuff nremt is a piece of cake if you study

yeah just the training, no need for a degree

not yet

yeah fire medic is my main goal

Hopefully soon then, and when you do, please take pics for Sup Forums

I have some serious retards in my class. Some of them havent done any of the online portion thats required to pass and some dont know the simplest shit. I had a guy perform a full body assessment on a medical scenario yesterday, when he was told beforehand it was a medical.

Holy shit, I'm going to go be a fucking EMT then. What's the pay like?

depends on the patient i get

Hours
Coworkers
Routine day/days go fast or slow
What type of calls you usually run

Not an EMT*

>Long hours, meh pay.
>Get to save people, see terrible things.
>Lose mind after a few years.

Just my understanding of it.

Im not op but emt is not the same as a paramedic m8.
Become an emt and you get shit pay and very little job openings.
Go through a couple more years of schooling to become a paramedic or a firefighter and youll start earning a bit more. 55,000 a year around where I am currently.

I have very low standards for pay. What are we talking about here?

Do you fuck bitches AND get money? Or just get money?

Do you do BLS transfers all day, or do you drive a one of us Paragods around?

Also - hosedragger or ems?

your everyday 911, some crazy stuff, nothing traumatizingly crazy yet

Not OP, but basics at my service get 11.25/hr starting, with full med/vision/dental included without deduction.

Question for Fire Fighters? I'm an EMT and going to get my Paramedic hopefully next year. Should I take some fire science classes as well towards FF1 or just try to get into a department with just my Paramedic license?

Im the second emtfag here.
Ill speak about paramedics not emts though. Long hours are great. 48 hour shifts here, you get 5 days a week of no work EVERY. WEEK. Pay is pretty decent, mentioned above. The thing most people dont understand is, in those 48 hours most of it is spent back at base, fucking around watching movies, sleeping, and hanging out unless its super busy for some reason. If you love to see gore and help people and be lazy, its the perfect job.

Ff1/2 happen at the same time, generally.

And only if you want to do it forever.

Fag

Im getting about $13 and thats benefits and such, im full time

That could be worse. Maybe that's not the best idea for a career but it could be a job for a few years and then on to something higher paying.

I'm an EMT who works full time but gets paid by the call. I get 50 dollars per call and 40 dollars per 12/hour shift. Not bad, get to work from home.

Damn. Is the cut off age 35 for getting in at departments? Everywhere I read into the departments won't take you after 35. 31 now so I doubt I'll have time to get my Paramedic and FF1/2 in time.

hows your call volume?

Fire science is a joke, don't do it.

If you're trying to go paid, they usually won't accept any previous certificates, and will make you go through their academy. If you're looking at volunteer service, then you don't need jack shit to join.

On the other hand, they will take emt and paramedic certs, emt is almost always required for paid, and paramedic is a plus. You can also join departments that run joined fire/ems service just as an emt/paramedic, and move into the fire side when there are opening, as usually the firefighter positions are highly sought after.

Thats shit man I wanna get paid hourly I couldnt do a by call thing. I wanna get paid for sitting on my ass. Fucking love the lucas though.
Quick question for all medicfags here, who else has auto load hydraulic stretchers on their ambulances? Because theyre fucking amazing.

So where do you go to school for this? A tech school?

come back when you're a paramedic. no one cares. emt-b stands for empty my trash bitch.

Around 5 calls a day. Also get 70 dollars for any IV's, drugs, or fluid transfers. 40 dollars for cancels/refusals.

Hospitals and emergency service training academies usually offer EMT courses.

>No, just the cash

Wtf is this cutoff age shit?
Im going paramedic but still is this a thing that happens at fire departments? We have some older medics here

Do they still use manual gurneys? shit im spoiled haha

Our department has them... they are great for saving your back. Bariatric stretchers are coming next.

Fucking love it. As ive been saying, staying an emt is stupid.
Starting medic school here in a month or two.
But you see emt-b's... as I see CERTIFIED NURSING ASSISTANTS. can we all agree they are literally certified asswipers and are shit themselves?
My ex may or may not be one and may sway my opinion.

Taken it twice over 11 years. Once at a college and another for free through a hospital program. Search for the free route, they are looking for people all the time in small towns. Same education, no difference.

Thanks man that's what I was hoping for. EMS is the biggest part of Fire Service so getting my Paramedic would be the top priority for me. Thanks again I appreciate the info!

Our Basics do ez-ios, king tube, and narcan. Get on my level.

Hell yeah man come to redneck county.
Bariatric stretchers? Explain. Ours hold up to 700 pounds and auto lift into our amberlamps for us as well as raise and lower automatically.

We have two automatic cots, one is kinda broken because we had to transport a 700LB man on it and the hydraulics broke....

All the departments I have looked at in my county say 35 is the age cutoff. But I have looked at other forums and they say they never heard of that.

Just got to keep in shape and up to date with the SOPs I guess.

Our basics do that plus Morphine, Duel Nebs, Glucagon, and D50. Get on my level.

Everyone check in, what state you guys from?

Extra wide, raised handles so you don't raise the patient too high, and rated for 1,000 pounds I think.

i just finished my clinicals, all these people that abuse medicaid need to be sent to concentration camps before they can continue to breed.

Well played good sir, major city or rural department?

agreed, the immigrant insurance baiters are the worst

South Texas checking in

What city (or nearest big city for user reasons) do you work in? Male or female?

You think Medicaid is bad.... work on an Indian Reservation with Government Indian Health Insurance..... You ain't seen shit.

Pic related.

finished that course in 8 weeks fuckin get on my level bitchhhhh
really tho, finished NREMT at 116 questions, what did you get?

Got any more of these? Keep going.
Fuckkk did you guys have to lift him in when it went to crap on you or what?Fucking seriously do you live in like mcdonalds city that you regularly get patients that big

How much overtime can you work?

New Zealand EMT here

Just thought I would weigh in.. how does your 11.25 an hour compare to the costs of living over there... that seems incredibly shit... Full time EMT's over here are on 55000 per year... about 25.00 an hour

I might actually do this then. Potentially free education is hard to turn down.

68 questions kek

Tiny. Like 1 rig for a 50 mile radius.

Bull. Fucking. Shit.

after 4 months? not surprised. i shoulda studied more i guess

I had to do the full 150. The scenario questions are fucking ridiculous. Lots of the questions have very similar answers.

That being said I passed my first try but didn't know my score.

11.25 is for emt-b which cant do jack shit. Paramedic would be advanced emt and do make 55,000 a year here.I can give narcan, aspirin, epinephrine.. thats about it. >so much I can help

SoCal checking inand fuck thats insane, around here its not enough for cost of living

Where can I stab myself without bleeding out/ getting internal bleeding (masterbating purposes)

I think they over rate the stretchers, it's not like I made any patients even 600 pounds. But the extra wide is helpful cause... they be wide.

When you have 40 minute response times and 40 minute transport times, they let us do a lot. No calling in medical control. All standing orders. Montana is a weird state, couldn't do any of this in Florida or Colorado.

As much as they want you for m8. Man are you retarded or wut
Im going to take mine soon, skills test on the 21st. Wish me luck bitches.

yeah just surprising.... EMT's make up the bulk of our staff here with Para's making up about 30% and then Intensive Care Paras being the last 10%

most of our guys to ok in the small areas... some struggle in the big cities

we cant give much more... we cant give Narcan but most other low level stuff we can... highest for us would be adrenaline (or as you call it epi) and GTN... not much else

Actually I believe it. Cause its probably hard as hell to find paramedics for one, and two, they are so remote Med Director says "ok, my two basics. I'm going to sign you off on emergency cric, and you are now field Gods"

Ever had sex in uniform? I do love a woman in uniform.

but in saying that we can do Glucagon as an EMT with no oversight

Just remember your basic ABCs when answering the questions. I tried to mesmerize the answers to the questions and that was a huge mistake.

The NREMT questions are completely different questions than any practice tests you haven't taken. So they aren't word for word but similar.

Fire/Medic checking in. Make 80k/year topped out private after a few years. Median household income for my area is 55k/year. Run 6-8 calls in a 24 hour shift on average. 10 a days are not uncommon either though.

Your arm avoid any major arteries, call us if you puncture one.700 pounds is like absolute max. Yeah theyre over rated.Reaaally mostly emts? Paramedics are about all they hire where I am.

how would you respond to this?

We have 1 paramedic in 100 miles.

It's our last effort, but yea.
First oral, then D50 if patent IV, if not Glucagon. The post-care for 48-hours for a liver dump like that is a bitch, but they let us.

or CAB whatever when it comes to CPR shit.

You can do glucagon. I cant. Only medics here can.
Thanks man. Got my abc's down.

Jesus, where are you at?

The bulk are scenario questions so get comfortable with those.

If you do hit a main artery can't you like wrap that shit in bandage and wait a week or something

On an Indian Reservation in middle of nowhere Montana.

Picture very related.

if youre really lucky...

Full spinal immobilization and c collar cuh

Post your tits

"Can you walk over to the stretcher and lay down for us"

Toast your pits

Any one else surprised by the sheer amount of us EMTs that lurk in Sup Forums yet don't say sit until some noob emt-Sup Forums talks about passing the NREMT?

I almost did. Was working on a smaller mostly volunteer FD with just a few of us paid so they could call their selves staffed. We worked 1 to a truck paid staff and if a volunteer stayed with us it was a bonus help. Had some shit going with a girl volunteer for a while who kept stayimg with me and came really close to fucking her, many pics exchanged and watched her play with her pussy, even slept in the same bed cuddled up, but could never pull the trigger because my gut told me she'd pull some crazy rape accusations or something. She was nuts on disability for faking seizures but volunteering at the FD lol