RIP John Glenn

>The only son of a plumber and schoolteacher, Glenn was born in 1921 in Cambridge, Ohio.
His father would recall how the boy used to run around the yard with arms held wide, pretending to fly a plane.
>He became a combat pilot, serving in World War II and the Korean War before joining America's space agency.
>Glenn earned six Distinguished Flying Crosses and flew more than 150 missions during the two conflicts.
>After setting the transcontinental flight speed record as a test pilot, he joined Mercury 7, America's first class of astronauts.
>"Though he soared deep into space and to the heights of Capitol Hill, his heart never strayed from his steadfast Ohio roots. Godspeed, John Glenn!" Ohio Governor John Kasich said in a statement.

F

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9LR6EA91zLo
youtube.com/watch?v=MvVfj0ov8k8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

lmao who cares

Yeh but his shuttle trip was just a political handout that Bill Clinton gave him.

Russia did it first lmao who cares about this old shart

And then...

>President-Elect Donald Trump, who coincidentally landed at John Glenn Airport in Columbus, Ohio at roughly the same time as Glenn's passing was announced, described him as a 'great American hero'.

>The passing of [John Glenn] to me he was a great American hero, a truly great American hero. I met him on two separate occasions. Liked him, always liked him. But he was indeed an American hero.

>'This was an honor for me to be here today. Thank you all very much.'

Never happened
American propaganda

They left laser reflectors up there that people on earth have been able to use to judge the distance from the earth.

"Glenn's launch on the morning of February 21, 1962 was especially tense given the Atlas booster's proven track record. Manned Spaceflight Center director Bob Gilruth kept a photo on his desk of an Atlas missile exploding on the pad as a reminder of what could happen."

"Following Valentina Tereskhova's flight on Vostok 6, NASA contemplated recruiting female astronauts, but since one of the requirements for being an astronaut was experience as a military test pilot, something no women then could have met, it was a moot point. In any case, John Glenn testified before Congress in February 1964 on his opposition to female astronauts, after which the matter was quietly shelved. Women on an American spacecraft would have to wait another 19 years when Sally Ride flew aboard the space shuttle."

das sexist

kek feminists btfo

May the good Lord ride all the way.

Tereskhova's flight was mainly for gimmick purposes and she didn't perform all that well, in fact the postflight reports for Vostok 6 as well as official histories of the Soviet space program had any number of derogatory, misogynistic comments in them. As of 2016, just four Russian women have ever been in space.

Unlike American spacecraft, Soviet ones were largely automated and did not require input from the cosmonaut except in an emergency or if the autopilot failed.

>Unlike American spacecraft, Soviet ones were largely automated and did not require input from the cosmonaut except in an emergency or if the autopilot failed.

Damn, USSR really tore USA apart in Space Wars

yup

the atlas was an icbm. john basically rode a bomb into space. its why you hear so much cheering in the audio when the rocket blasts off. there was a real good chance that it could have exploded

Wait, why is it better if the crew have no flight experience? A lot of stuff that they did during the race to the Moon could not be done without experienced pilots who knew how to fly the things, for example when the LM computer on Apollo 11 overloaded. If that had been a Russian craft, they probably would have crashed to the Moon and died.

Based

Protip: You don't carry a nuclear warhead on a space mission. It's more accurate to say that it's a giant tube full of explosive liquids.

And Soviet launches were just as tense, especially Gagarin's, because the R-7 was not much more reliable at that time.

This was an actual point of contention between the NASA engineers and the pilots.

The pilots didn't want too much automation. And several sequence of events in space proved them right I think.

>mfw leftists will never be this eloquent

Sad!

I think the overly automated Soviet spacecraft were mostly Korolev's idea because he felt that any reasonably fit person should be able to go into space, and that engineers should fly in their own spacecraft. It also kind of went in with communist ideology that didn't trust the individual to do anything for himself.

It is fascinating how old big names seem to fade away this year of 2016.
And I have no doubt that the trend will just hasten in the next year, as such fleeting is the nature of man.
Oh well.
It just gives room for new names and purposes.

>It also kind of went in with communist ideology that didn't trust the individual to do anything for himself.

are you serious right now

lol fucking nerd stfu

literally who

>americans

It's true. During training missions, Soviet aircraft had cockpit recorders to ensure that the pilot followed the scripted procedures by the letter.

During glasnost in the late 80s, NATO observers witnessed a Warsaw Pact exercise in Hungary and commented that everything was entirely scripted and that Soviet troops were excellent "if you did just what they expected, but if you went off script they were totally lost."

Russian anons on Sup Forums told me it's still like that in the army. You obey all orders and are not allowed to question your superiors ever or *throat slitting motion*

americans just completely lack self-awareness its hilarious

what's wrong swedefriendo

Makes me wonder who will die next and who will be this generation's John Glenn when the time comes for the generation to start dying.

Why so rude and disrespectful?

That's the Slovak ANTIFA, Spongebob.

bump

nice, well said, finlan

>mfw a svensk intimated that he was less autismal than me
impossibruh!

i guess you could say that sally took quite the ride

Any evidende that these "reflectors" are not some shiny rocks found by scientists accidentally pointing lasers at moon?
You can not see them with any optical equipment btw.

"The success of the Apollo program, and especially the rescue of Apollo 13 from near disaster impressed the Soviet aerospace industry. However, what really had a major effect on Soviet morale was in fact not Apollo, but Gemini. The Saturn family were civilian launch vehicles, purpose-built for the Apollo program. For comparison, Gemini used a converted Titan II ICBM, a missile that had a quite huge throw weight. The near-flawless performance of the Titan II during the Gemini program greatly worried the Soviets, knowing that this weapon system functioned so well."

bump

"No one could forget how the Mercury astronauts were taken to watch an Atlas missile launch in 1959 shortly after joining NASA and watching it explode overhead as Gus Grissom remarked 'Are we really gonna get on top of one of those things?'"

>>The passing of [John Glenn] to me he was a great American hero, a truly great American hero. I met him on two separate occasions. Liked him, always liked him. But he was indeed an American hero.

The one thing Trump should work on is his eloquence, what the fuck man

youtube.com/watch?v=9LR6EA91zLo
youtube.com/watch?v=MvVfj0ov8k8

Shoot a bunch of lasers to the moon and measure the intensity of the returning light. Rocks are not that fucking reflective, and even if they were, they'd need to have the perfect matematical curvature so the lasers reflect back to Earth at the exact angle. You're off by a few tenths of a degree and the laser reflects a couple kilometers off.