Are latinos who can't speak Spanish still latinos?

I've heard some people saying that a latino who only speaks English isn't really a latino, while others say it's purely an ethnic distinction and we'd still be latinos even if we grew up in China or something. What does Sup Forums think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BoLPLsQbdt0
wunc.org/post/im-white-barcelona-los-angeles-im-hispanic
instagram.com/marianavicente/?hl=en
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

CHI

CA

NO

GO CUBS

How did you know I was a Cubs fan?

latinso who can't speak any kind of latin language are just [insert majority cultral grouping here]. losers.

latino has nothing to do with spanish

a latino is someone born in latin america.

your ethnicity is probably mestizo

mulato, actually

I supposed everybody is jumping on the bandwagon

depends if the person is brown or not

Latino is a meme term invented by the french
Hispanic is a meme term invented by the US census

Of course what else would they be? Not Americans as that term is reserved for Anglo people. The exception would be a real white Latino who just blends into Anglo society. When someone says 'Latino' we all know what they mean - Spanish speaking ability has nothing to do with what pops into our minds when we hear that word.

Alexis Bledel = white = not Latina
America Ferrera = brown = Latina
Harry Shum Jr = yellow = not Latino
Laz Alonso = black = not Latino

there you go. you're black. if you grew up in china you;d be black, if you grew up anywhere you'd be black. latino is just a name for someone born in latin america

i hope you do not think you are white

Latino and race have nothing in common. I know many black and white latinos, even japanese latinos. The race that you're thinking of is mestizo (mix between white and amerindian)

>mulatto

youtube.com/watch?v=BoLPLsQbdt0

Alexis bledel is latina.

You shouldn't trust your countrymen with opinions about who's what tbqh.

Specially about race or ethnicity.

U r an idiot. We are talking about within the US; here none of those people would be Latino. You are the typical Spanish ass who thinks he is a white European. Go read this.

wunc.org/post/im-white-barcelona-los-angeles-im-hispanic

He is Catalan not Spanish.

t. Sergi Josep Pique

No she is white. If she tried out for a Latina acting role she would be rejected because she is white. Mariana Vicente is a white girl from Puerto Rico and she is not allowed to audition for Latina roles - she is white and has to compete with every other white actress.

instagram.com/marianavicente/?hl=en

Jumping on the bandwagon is America's favourite past time

That's fucking stupid like US census

As am I.

Mt favorite group in the US is the typical Brazilian. Nothing funnier than to see them so desperate to not be called Latino.

So Jennifer Aniston and Kevin Costner are not Americans, they are Californians.

>Not Americans as that term is reserved for Anglo people.
Makes you think

Idk, but definitelly they are not Hispanics just because they speak Spanish, as Jamaicans and African-Americans are not English just because they speak English.

Ethnic Aussie in the US do they same thing. Jessica Gomez and Shanina Shaik do not refer to themselves as Australians, but they will say - "I am from Australia."

Am I not """""""""latino"""""""""""" because I don't speak spanish?

You're not Latino because you're not even human to begin with.

Few Catalans view themselves as Spanish and upon arriving in the US they will spend a few minutes explaining they are not Spanish and have their own culture and language. They are like the southern Brazilians.

Your average Moorish looking Spaniard is a Mexican to most Americans. Yes they are Californians before they are Americans, but that is not the same as a Catalan/Basque being a different race of people.

>Catalans
>a race

Pique and Puyol look pretty much the same as all the other Spaniards

I think that only the basques can say that they belong to another ethnicity. Catalans are pretty much your average spaniard

Most Spaniards look like Penelope Cruz and Antonia Banderas.

>Spaniard is a Mexican to most Americans

Funny because for us Americans are basically Mexicans who speak English.

American culture here is associated with cowboys, who are very similar to Mexicans. The most popular American food here is the Tex-Mex, also you have lot of surnames like Gomez or Rodriguez and average American look really similar to average Mexican.

there are a lot of women here that look like penelope cruz but its just as common to see girls that you would think were french or english

every american i've met in spain is much whiter than the average spaniard. typical blue eyes, light hair, light skin. usually look german

I know what you want to hear Joao Costa, because I have dealt with many Brazilians in the US.

You are not Latino
You are white
You have no black/native blood in you
The south is pure white
You do not understand a single word of spoken/written Spanish
You do not eat white rice, black beans, or fried plantains
You eat the same food as the French or Italians
You hate soccer, samba, and funk
You do not have an electric shower
You do not live in a favela
Your culture is European
You have absolutely nothing in common with the other South American countries

Have I left anything off my pure white friend?

>every american i've met in spain is much whiter than the average spaniard

Every Southafrican i've met in spain is much whiter (in terms of Nordism) than the average Spaniard.

You are the cause of all this, as no one wants to be viewed as or called a Mexican.

What? Dude, I'm from Rio.

It's because that's a total foreign concept to us. So if you really wanna KNOW them, you should not just call them names...

>It's because that's a total foreign concept to us
Nope.

It yes. Nobody in Brazil taks about that.

We either talk about countries, or regions. Latino is simply to vague.

less than 15% of americans have mostly english ancestry

It is*
too*

That's not true. Less than 15% report English ancestry, because a lot of people are idiots. If John Alex Williams III has one German great grand-uncle, he'll run around saying "I'm German!" when really he's of English descent. Same thing happens with Anglo-American kids who have one Irish relative, or one Italian relative. Billy Bob Jackson from Alabama will say "my family is from America" when you ask his ancestry, but again, he's of English descent.

In 1980, 60 million Americans reported English ancestry (out of a population of 200 million). In 2010, only 20 million reported English ancestry (out of a population of 320 million). Coincidentally, the number of people claiming German and Irish ancestry skyrocketed.

Literally only your dipshit country cares this much about muh racial purity

Not to mention that if you look at the most common surnames in the US (say the top 50 or so), they're almost all English, with a few Spanish ones in there.

>Literally only your dipshit country cares this much about muh racial purity

I would say only dipshit people care this much about racial purity.

You can think whatever you want in Brazil. We are talking in the US not Brazil. In the US Gisele Bunchen is German and someone like Lais Ribeiro is Brazilian. The white Brazilians in the US stop having any ties to Brazil in one generation. The only ones who will say I am Brazilian are the brown Rio types. Once a white Brazilian moves to LA or NYC they want nothing to do with regular Brazilians.

These kids are the offspring of parents from Santa Catarina - nothing Brazilian about them, they are white Americans. They will not speak Portuguese or have any Brazilian culture in their lives. Their parents barely speak basic tourist Portuguese.