WWII General pictures and stories thread

WWII General pictures and stories thread.
Share some stuff, /b. Maybe we'll meet our ancestors, too.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=b8toHv2_xxg&feature=youtu.be
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Mers-el-Kébir
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i have a few good ones

I see these pictures and I think of my two grandfathers. They were both there, both on the front. When a politician started talking about who needed invading and who needed to be brought to heel, that politician lost two votes. The both became close friends before they died, the first time either one of them actually spoke candidly about the war was after they met when my parents got married. Before that, nothing.

I guess you have to have been there to actually understand war and how horrible it actually is.

SS Soldier trains with the Bayonett

WWII was really the first well documented war due to the growth of journalism

German Luftwaffe Kampfbomber

I love german tds

war is censored these days, documenting a war was a mistake they learned in Vietnam were showing the images of the needless horrors of war brought the entire country to oppose the government, this is a mistake the US wont make again, WW2 and Vietnam are interesting in thay aspect

lets not forget the pacific vs the Japanese

>war is censored these days

on conventional media platforms it is, but it would be incorrect to say that there's less footage these days. i would say the ability to upload videos to site like youtube and liveleak more than make up for the censorship.

just finished rewatching the pacific.

too bad some scenes like the landing on peleliu were exaggerated or downright wrong

true, but you have to look harder to find it is what i was trying to say, i have seen some crazy stuff on vet's cellphones, but the say they could get in a lot of trouble for uploading it and getting caught

dumped all my webms in that thread

youtube.com/watch?v=b8toHv2_xxg&feature=youtu.be

Fun Fact: Hitler in fact had no idea that Atomic Bombs were possible or were even a thing that could potentially exist. The group of scientists working on the "war" part of the war figured it out one late night that atomic attacks were in fact possible, and that they could essentially have one to two of them created and optional in at least four years.

One of the scientists went to his superior, who was in charge of the whole operation, and asked him if they should break the wonderful news to Hitler. His superior immediately said 'Please do not tell him. If you tell dafür that atomic bombs are possible, dafür will tell us that he expects them to be completed in exactly a year and a half. And that would be very very bad for you and me, and everybody working on the project".

So, they never told Hitler about the atomic bomb, and shortly after the scientists were captured by the Americans and were taken to America on asylum.

[source: personal interview with Ernst Rexer in the late 70's]

>but you have to look harder

maybe back in the day around 2003, 2005 when a lot footage that wasn't in line with the US government view was considered "anti-war."

nowadays it's much easier, since people are apathetic to the middle east.

>but the say they could get in a lot of trouble for uploading it and getting caught

i can respect OPSEC, at least when it's reasonable, like endangering operatives out in the field, and not just to protect the US from embarrassment.

mistakes happen, mistakes need to be acknowledged and corrected, and you can't do that if the stupid fucks in intel are hiding it.

Sounds about right. The transcripts from Operation Epsilon make it sound as if the scientists knew that it was distantly possible, but after thinking about it they were completely unable to build it. They needed time, they needed machines, they needed cooperation from a divided scientific community that were split on whether it was even possible. Some of the scientists went on to note that if they had built and used an atomic bomb, they'd have been hung as war criminals. They didn't think that the Americans would build one, let alone use two of them as they did at Hiroshima.

>yfw the german nuclear project was so underground it had to be financed by the fucking nazi post office department

Hiroshima and Nagasaki, whoops

how do you get your fill of WW2?

CoH1 BK mod here

Indeed, the German scientists were put up in this high end hotel in America and they were put into big rooms for almost weeks at a time. They were given as much food as they wanted, to which they complained that due to such harsh rations on food back in Germany, they were getting fat! So stuck in these rooms for a few weeks and none of them had any idea that the Americans were recording their every word. One scientist asked another if he thought the Americans were recording them, to which he replied "Absolutely not, the Americans have much more important things to do than record us."

Anyway fast forward to when we actually sent out our first atomic bombs and used them in Japan, when the German Scientists found out about it, it was pretty much unanimous that most of them were absolutely relieved that someone else other than them had built (and used) them.

this thread is for Historical pics not for movie shit

haha my grand father was a Crimean Tartar he fought in the Turkestan legion in the German army. Kiling russians all day lol you mad russki?

allahsız gavur

my grandfather on my mom's side fought in north Africa against the Italians, he has stories about sailing the Mediterranean on a battleship which are pretty cool

speak english

shut up, turk power is everywhere!!!

War Thunder

CoH2 is my daily medicine! Was lucky enough to play CoH1 for a weekend or so. Really tempted to pick it up if it ever is on sale

sinking of the mighty battleship Tirpitz.
Grandmother and great grandmother i think in the same house as i live in now.
They could hear the air raid sirens and rushed down to the basement. They could hear the bombs drop and everything.

Grandmother and great grandmother i think lived in the same house as i live in now.*
god damn im autistic

What country/city/town did they live in, if I may be so bold to ask?

They lived in Tromsø, Norway. I still live in the same house.
Tirpitz sank right outside an island called håkøya.

starting to contribute now

got some cool nam stuff too

i actually prefer ww2 but if theres interest im gonna bump nam too

definitely not dresden

isn't that ww1?

looks like a m1916 stalhelm but the uniform looks like post-ww1.

f5f5f5f5f5f5

my grandfather was too young to fight, he was in the hitlerjugend tho.
he used to have 7 brothers, they all died in war. 4 of them used to be in the SS, one even Waffen SS.
I still got that HJ fahrtendolch, the dagger they all got.
Unfortunately i dont have any uniforms or weapons left...
Friend of mine got 2 iron crosses of his graddads, 1 for shooting a russian tank and one for dieing at the front.

yep its ww1

Amazing!

My honor for your brave grandfathers

most stuff i have left is colored

Oh dude im sorry that was fatal. just looked at the thumbnail and it was in my ww2 folder.
Sorry mate didnt try to mess it up

Guess i should keep posting hitler, cant do nothing wrong with that lel

names were fun

>one was called Ambross

Bootin

Great grandfathers on my fathers side were in the Royal Navy and the highlanders. Served in NA and Italy then onto Germany. My great grandfather on my mothers side trained gurkhas in india and burma

i dont like these recolored pics so much, but at the time i started saving ww2 pics again it was kind of hyped...

was looking for this pic for a bit, its shot from a plane while bombing a japanese naval base

s'all right mate, shit can get pretty confusing.

you want a real head turner, check this pic out

i appreciate

Listening to these old folks telling about the war and the time after is just fucking interesting.
Could listen to my granddad for hours.
Most stuff he tells is after war era, starving and how he managed to get his education and his own buisness done.

Fuck everytime i think about these ppl manage to get through this i start thinking about myself.
The shit i consider trouble. And they went throu fucking hell and back and lost most of the ppl they once knew on the way along.

my grand father fought near Dunkirk in 1940 during what we called in France, la Débacle, the Rout.

He saved his company officer and got awarded for that. my dad keep this medal with great proud for him. He defended the pocket of Dunkirk until he tried his way to the ships with few fellow comrades.
He told my dad that the brits aboard the ships used their baionets and knives to prevent them to board.
He then was taken prisoner as many french were, and had to literraly walk hundreds of miles to a prison camp in Silesia. Germans shot a few of them during the march.
Krauts, as France has fallen, threatened their families if they dared to escape the camp. So he stayed the entire war in the camp. He met my grandmother once back in France and passed away years later.

Ever since my dad told me his story during ww2 , i loathe with all my guts the fucking british propaganda. I mean, yes, the battle of britain is a heroic moment in british history, but they easily cover up their campaign in France blaming the french. And so goes the 'white flag' meme.

Guy who lives near where tirpitz sank here.
my great grand father was from austria and faught for the germans.
I dont know if this is fact, but after what i've heard he was captured and taken as a prisoner by the germans for helping the russians.

mini maus

now im confused

haha

here's some more shit to get angry at

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Mers-el-Kébir

Robert Thomas Paulsen - SGM and my grandfather. Was scheduled to deploy to Wilhelmshaven for bombings, but coincidentally fell ill the night before his deployment and never left American soil.

here is a picture i like, it's of russian refugees, the germans over took their town so the russian army burned all there homes to destroy the town rather then let the germans capture it

nothing to be confused at

kek try to tell your Gruppenführer you feel sick

they did the same here in norway up in Finnmark. They destroyed the whole town and then burried their belongings

yeah I wish I could have met them. My great grandfather who trained gurkhas, he served in France during WW1 and he suffered psychologically after the war and has respiratory problems later in life from a gas attack while in the trenches. Somehow he managed to secure a place in the armed forces when WW2 broke out.

I'm the same as well I think my lifes tough at time then think about 18 year olds storming the normandy beaches and remember how easy my life is

I think it was an ear infection or something. Or maybe pink eye. Something really incredibly stupid but it makes for a good story I guess!

Here is a steelplate from Tirptiz made into a mermorial.

they one that got the iron cross for shooting a tank got captured by russians in 44 i think, stayed at a russian camp for half a year and, at least thats the official story, stole a gun, shot a guard and walked all the way back to germany as the war was over.

im almost out of pictures now

pic is shutty cause of an old shitty phone.
here are some parts of what i believe is from Tirpitz

>My great grandfather who trained gurkhas
>he served in France during WW1 and he suffered psychologically after the war

fucking gurkhas man

forgot the pic

The last Great War. Much love and respect for all who fought for the awful, awful freedoms we enjoy.

That ammo box actually contained a telephone so that the infantry could communicate with the tank crew.

The brother of my grandfather went missing in stalingrad. My great grandmother saved thousands of articles about missing soldiers but he never turned up... she told us that, when she brought him to the train station, he kept on crying and didn't want to go back to the front and that was the last time she saw him. He was just 18
My grandmother almost got deported to sibiria but the train was stopped last minute so she just had to do some labour for the polish

heard that before +1

didnt try to piss you off