Going to Amsterdam this year to study. I've already been there and fell in love with the city...

Going to Amsterdam this year to study. I've already been there and fell in love with the city. Share your Amsterdam stories and opinions.

Reeks of weed and piss

Visiting a city and living in it are entirely different experiences.

Opened my eyes -- I'm from a small town in Canada. To see a society where drugs and prostitution were legal and openly available proved that the government narrative on those topics were complete bullshit.

Aww

Amsterdamfag here, copy pasting some stuff i wrote on /trv/. Maybe i'll make a proper guide and map of where (not) to go of Amsterdam soon since it might be helpfull for people visiting.

Anyway, pasting:

Amsterdamfag here, stay away from the very center of the city. Like dam square and Rokin (the road leading to dam square when coming from central station).
The inner city is totally flooded and ruined by tourists, locals avoid it. You'll encounter over 9000 Nutella ice-cream shops, weedthemed clothing and that sort of shit.

Instead, just walk around the middle rings of the city, that's where all the canals are roughly. Visit rijksmuseum, maybe scheepvaart museum (marine, big part of our colonial history, and great context for all our old architecture).
Visit Westerpark or vondelpark when it's sunny.
Don't rent a bike in the city center, locals will fucking hate you. Also don't be offended by locals being assailed, unfortunately the amount of tourists in Amsterdam has more than doubled in the last 5 years, waaay too much for our small city to handle. Currently lots of anti-tourism news/hate going on.
Anyway, rent a bike and take a ferry to the north side of Amsterdam, from there it's a 30min ride to Twisted, which is a really peaceful Park with all sorts of typical Dutch nature. Really recommended for taking a break of the city madness.
Also visiting the dunes near the sea might be cool too, since they keep our whole country dry 24/7.

As for outside of Amsterdam: Haarlem is fun, Utrecht is great too (climb the Dom tower). Rotterdam you can skip I'm, 80% of the city was bombed in ww2. So alot of ugly new buildings with no soul.
Gouda you should skip altogether for sure. Don't fall for the cheese meme, seriously.
In general try to visit more noncity stuff, the windmills are cliche, but fucking cool nonetheless.

Went there yesterday, full of moroccans like in Belgium

and more, mostly about the staggering amount of tourists.

It is horrible, and they have more than doubled. Pretty much all locals hate tourists now, a few more years of this shit and we'll get legit hate crimes here.

The locals are calling for a limit, but the people in charge like earning money so they don't give a shot.

This will be a case of everything has to go to absolute shit before we realize we have to change and fix it.

Seriously, 50% of the city center is Airbnb, drunk/stoned tourists wearing Amsterdam beanies and Nutella ice-cream waffle shops. We are going full Venice here. A lot has changed in the last 5 years.

Amsterdam has about 1.5 million residents.
Last year we had 11 million tourists.

This is so fucked up.

I want all the drug/weed/whore retards to stay away. We need to attract smarter tourists who fancy art and historical stuff. But the government knows they can earn a lot more money by attracting stupid people.

So here's the deal. Visiting a city on a trip or doing a study abroad is completely different than actually living in it. When just visiting, you only see the best parts and don't have to deal with most of the negatives. What you didn't experience was the oppressive taxes, unassimilated immigrants, government bureaucracy, cost of living, the slums, the poor housing situation, etc.

Naive assholes always talk about how they love fell in love with Europe after they went there on vacation on to study and that they dream of living there some day, but they don't ever realize what that actually entails.

When you're on foot, stay the hell off the bike paths. They're fucking nuts and they will run you over. I was warned in advance but I brushed it off. I should have listened.

Kankersmerige stad

Amsterdam has less than 800 000 residents you cockswazzle.

>be me
>be me couple of years ago
>go to amsterdam
>weed.jpg
>party.jpg
>redlightdistrict.py
>look at the bitches
>srsly some are 10/10
>my penis erected
>see nice one
>shes magical
>has blue light which makes her even more mysterious
>go in
>pay
>sucks my below-average penis
>feelsgoodman.jpg
>feel her up
>she has a penis
>cum anyway

Blue lights = shemales, you have been warned

stop making weed and shrooms available and the tourists will have no reason to visit the city

>drugs legal
Alcohol yeah. Dumbass.

i wish we would.

i was being generous also counting the smallish towns more or less absorbed by amsterdam on its edges.

fascism ensues
keep your hands off my drugs

>1.5 million
Not even close to a million, idiot.

OP here, thanks for the paste. I was already aware of all the negatives you stated especially the tourists, hell, I was a tourist myself and I hated other tourist. I seriously only went there because of the art and museums and since I'm half dutch I felt like I had to. Now I'm going to study there because is literally the only place I can afford (thanks to dutch passport). And every time I tell somebody that I'm going there they give me the fucking look because they think I'm going there because 420 and hookers. I'm already sick of that shit.

Fucking lol'd

10/10 if troll
7/10 if copypasta

don't listen to the haters
blaze it, brother

weed is a normie drug
>omg i'm so high

weed is a normie drug
that doesn't mean it's not nice
and I want it to be available

I was thinking about applying to holland for a masters. People underestimate their amazing programs. Why did you pick amsterdam university? Why not leidin? Also, was it hard to get accepted?

good choice user. I'd say applying is fairly easy if you have the requirements, which are 3 A levels (I actually got accepted with only 2) and a basic level of English (CAE), or if you have a Dutch diploma is even better (I'm guessing you don't have one of those). I chose Amsterdam because I felt like it would have been easier for somebody who doesn't speak dutch. But honestly it doesn't make that much difference, the whole of Holland seems amazing for studying but remember that the requirements are pretty much the same in the whole country.