So when are we all going to have solar freakin roadways?

So when are we all going to have solar freakin roadways?

This is just the best idea ever. No greenhouse gases, and FREE ELECTRICITY.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Mzzz5DdzyWY
youtube.com/watch?v=RcMpyMsX2q8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

wasnt maintenance of those things stupidly expensive

youtube.com/watch?v=Mzzz5DdzyWY

>thinking anything in this world is free

Underage b&

This, and also they're inefficient as fuck.

Sheckleburg with the trips is why this won't happen. Too many lost sheckles.

>FREE ELECTRICITY
kill yourself

I remember when this was super popular on fb, and my friends all get really pissed at me for telling them it wasn't really feasible.

Not sure about the solar roadways idea, but a road with similar lights that are bright enough to be seen in the day would be brilliant.

Great, so traffic jams will now cause blackouts.

Yeah, and time travel would be brilliant as well but it ain't gonna happen.

But if car goes over road then sun cant make road do power

giant keyboards on the roads

>wat

>new hands free device "DRIVETEXT"
>be driving
>VRRRRRRROOM
>faiwubfgnlrwghznsoifgna;owefao;wefewijlksmfladkflsadkjf

It could probably be done, but the cost:gain ratio is whack.

Ha.. Hahaha

I don't think that's how it works. Or else there would be no electricity during dusk hours

Solar roadways are dumb. Cover buildings, cover parking lots. Solar is good, but this is a bad application.

But what if it is all dusk hours then what?

If you're gonna use solar panels, why not just put them a clear area? Why on a roadway where cars will be blocking the sun and where damage will occur often?

When the fossil fuels run out.

Actually panels all by themselves work in exactly that way. Generally batteries would be used to store excess power during daylight hours.

Might be useful as a last resort.

But you can always elevate the solar panels above the road for more efficiency and less maintenance, so I basically can't think of a way that solar roadways would ever be a wise choice.

because like everything good they'll be ruined by niggers

Wouldn't this be a terribly slick surface to drive on during rain and/or snow?

This

holy shit you even phrased it exactly like thunderf00t get your shitty bait outta here

Stealing dat copper out dem panels fo crack money

no they don't. they put out power for up to 24 hours after they last had light hit them.

That is not how solar panels work.

some sort of device that could harvest the vibrations/pressure of cars driving over them would be better.

the road doesn't power the cars
you can still drive on normal roads faggot

There is no such thing as free electricity. It all comes from the Sun. As long as only a small part of our electricity comes from solar power it's fine, but if you want to feed the entire Earth from the Sun you will just exhaust it. Maybe not in our lifetime, but what are our children going to do once the Sun is used up?

Make a kickstarter and a youtube video with a prototype, then get a free million bucks.

Wrong. They cannot produce electricity during darkness. Storage cells are used for this you moron. Go look it up.

Fucken lol.
Top ruse.

kek

What I mean though is that energy is stored so it can be used at times that the sun isn't out.
Are you retarded?

it's fucking retarded
on roofs they have an angled position which increases efficiancy a lot and they'll be constantly broken when used as roadways.

>expensive to make
>expensive to maintain
>expensive to install
>offers low traction
>low durability
>expensive to remove pre-existing road surfaces
>a significant portion of a roads surface is coated by cars in the day time (this is particularly true for parking lots)
>with that many panels on the roads it would be difficult to prevent theft

Anyways, it's better to put solar panels on top of buildings or put them on top of roofed parking lots.

But if roads are normal then where are the panels? Bet u didnt think of that lol
Cause if roads are solar then no power but no solar then no power
You dig?

People don't want to drive through tunnels all the time. The idea is to keep the space open and basically the same as it is now, except with solar panels too.

>on the top of buildings.

Sure, then pilots get blinded by the reflections, and then this happens (pic related).

That and how do you clean the roads of ice?

You are the retard cause what if its always dusk hours when there is a dust storm? Then solar isnt work

I was thinking more along the lines of elevating them on poles in the middle or next to the road, and at an angle.

forgot pic

That's why you put a lot of cement over them to protect it from the cars

you fucking retard we get a new sun every day

That's a difficult problem to solve.

it's fucking nothing

the kickstarter only wants to pave the highways and big roads with solar panels fucktard
did you seriously think they wanted to put panels on every goddamn road?
also can't tell if bait

Same. And it's not that I'm not a fan of alternative energy.... it's just.... it's a stupid fucking idea.

That was caused by Muslims, not solar panels.

SHUT THE FUCK UP FUCKING ARTIST
roads dont get enough elec if all roads are pave so you need all solar or it is not work

thats true, even the best of the best solar panels are less that 50% efficient. Your average solar panels are only about 20% efficient.

Meanwhile, in South Korea...

We obviously are not talking about Durkadurkastan you asshole.
Dust storms are not that big of an issue.
Not even in the Midwest.

This

>ARTIST

meanwhile in south korea they put solar panels NEXT TO the roads
no shit faggot?

Or we can just install normal solar panels for 1/10 the initial price and maintenance?

Guess what solar panels are made of geniuses? It's called silicone. Our roads would take tens of years, if not thousands of hundreds of years to cover in solar panels. Meanwhile we have no silicone for our computers and cell phones. Goddamn retards.

hahaha nice kek

Well there is also over cast and rainy days to contend with as well. Solar panels are not that efficient to begin with in full direct sun light. Then you add in cars that will block them, angle of the sun and over cast which would cause them to be nearly useless.

Summertime fags got it goin on, shake and wiggle to a hip hop song. Summertime fags are the kind i like, il save your pepe like i stole yo bike

Guess what silicone is? Sand....... literally every fucking beach......

It's actually made from breast implants.

>silicone
You mean silicon.

A silly cone?

dumbest fucking idea ever

but does that even matter, i mean if they work
what about traffic though? i mean if all these cars are covering the panels wouldnt that be a problem?

Because those things are plain retarded, I mean, making solar panels so durable that they can carry trucks... why not just make normal ones and put them on the roofs? Can't believe this shit got this far...

Silicon is a naturally occurring chemical element, whereas silicone is a synthetic substance.

Silicon is the 14th element on the periodic table.

I thought they were to power the cars driving to be clear not to just generate power

It amazes me that people still try (in vain) to make solar panels effective and cost efficient when a single modern thorium reactor will produce more energy than panels ever will at a fraction of the cost (over the lifetime of the reactor) with a much smaller environmental impact.

See You too, see

Holy shit thank you.

This.

How much light is gonna reach those fucking things during rush hour or congestion?

Jack shit. They are going to be so ridiculously inefficient. Just put them on top of houses or in fields with reflector towers to increase effectiveness like they're already doing.

I can already see this being a colossal failure as they see just how pathetic the power being collected from them is.

Not to mention the further loss of efficiency from being fucking filthy ALL THE TIME

>You too, see
I know chem.

Yes, breast implants are made from Silicone, while semi-conductors are made from Silicon.

Angle makes no difference in annual efficiency
>RIP fagit

In a way, silicon and silicone are both synthetic. Pure silicon is very rare in nature. It usually has to be separated from silicon compounds, such as silicon dioxide.

Even on really overcast and rainy days, about 90% of average light intensity makes it to the surface

The amount of time cars on a highway spend travelling over a photocell is negligible compared to the amount of time that cars are not travelling over it

But you're all fags, why waste our time debating something that has so many potential problems when there's a much easier solution?

youtube.com/watch?v=RcMpyMsX2q8

I encourage you all to run the numbers yourselves, they hold up. Sure, there will be a fair share of problems and difficulties but to me, this seems like one of the most straightforward and viable energy solutions out there

Yes it does. Solar panels are more efficient with direct sun light. If the panel is angled to have more direct sunlight through out the day then it will produce more power than a panel that is not. As well a panel that tracks the sun and changes its angle will produce more power than both.

free, the solar panels costs fortune atm

>Angle makes no difference in annual efficiency
The amount of light that hits the surface is directly related to the dot product of the normal to the surface and the direction of incoming light. The closer to perpendicular the arrangement, the more energy is collected.

tl;dr angle is important

>fukushima

It will still effect the efficiency o the panels. Even if it is a very small effect it is still a considerable concern when the panels have such a low efficiency to begin with. In the end any power that is produced will not cover the cost of maintenance and repair.

lol

Never, it was a terrible idea. Pretty cure it was a scam.

Cars drive on roads. Panels would be covered in rubber, oil and dirt, and FUCKING CARS.

A panel that is able to change its angle is definitely more efficient. But take an angle perpendicular to the Earth's surface: It will receive more sunlight at noon that a panel angled at 45 degrees to the East. The panel angled 45 degrees to the East will receive more sunlight than the flat panel in the morning, but less at noon and less until the next morning. Is all of this making sense to you? Difficult to explain in words only.

Wouldn't it be better for the environment if roads were paved with recycled plastics and stones instead of asphalt from crude oil and stones?

For generating power on roads I think wind turbines between the lanes of a highway with the blades spinning horizontally would do awesome with all the traffic-winds.

parallel* not perpendicular, mah bad

Plus the thickness of the glass to make them durable enough for road ways would cause a diffusion of the light making them even less efficient.

How about just needing less energy overall?

Australia cracked super critical steam with solar 2 years ago. This would mean as much power as a power plant from solar.

After the announcement their funding was cut. No one knows about this, but everyone knows about the autistic solar road idea.

Talk about misdirection red herring.

Yeah they use batteries on the back of the panel

Yes. You explained it much better than I did. that was what I was getting at but not good at explaining it here in simple words.

>putting solar panels on a parking lot with cars parking over instead of on the roof or in a empty field
Sign me up!