Hey Sup Forums. Looking for someone who has grown pot outdoors before. Listen. I am in rural iowa...

Hey Sup Forums. Looking for someone who has grown pot outdoors before. Listen. I am in rural iowa, its warm all the time now and sunny/windy. I planted about 30 saplings that look just like this one scarcely through corn fields, by a river, and in the woods. I spread garlic cloves to keep the grubs from eating the roots, and the sprouts are planted in potting soil beds so the roots will be in fertile soil before getting to the normal dirt. I can water about half of them every day, and the ones in the corn field are in low spots that are always wet. What are my chances of actually seeing decent bud?

It's a little late to start an outdoor grow

here is one that was in the ground for 5 days since being just a seed. Is this slow/fast/average?

Are you sure? In 2-3 months it will still be warm and wet.

here is what they looked like when i started them in a wet paper towel. overnight next to my lamp.

whoops forgot pic

bumping this guys. i need help.

Well I'm not from Iowa so not 100%. It's just better safe than sorry to put out your seedlings mid March. But the weather has been all kind of fucked up this year so far so I doubt it will be a good season anyway. Won't hurt to try though

I am confident that the weather would permit. Is there anything I am doing wrong? I dont want to fuck this up. I am expected to get at least a pound, so i need a few females to mature. I planted 26, assuming a half are female so 13, half survive looking at 6. Am i still being too hopeful?

Those look average for the time frame. Just don't fuck up the roots when you plant them. I forget what it's called but when the sprout gets around 5-6" you want to mound the soil up around the stem to give it support. And clip off suckers and destroy any male plants and you should be alright

almost none of the plants are close enough to pollinate each other, but i heard that a female that does get fertilized is more likely to survive, although it produces less bud and more seeds. This is ok for me because i do want more seeds, preferably from the stronger plants. Am I wrong to do this?

Nah if their quality plants you should get 2-4oz/plant. You might be a little short on a pound. And if you already agreed to supply someone with that weight you kinda fucked up since you seem new to growing

I havent agreed to anything, I am just looking to split this much between my friends. I dont smoke a lot, usually a gram or two a week. I just dont like seeing my friends itching for a smoke, you know?

You'd be surprised, wind will carry pollen very far. And it's best to not have males. Think of it like the female plant will constantly be in heat trying to reproduce, so it will put all its energy into forming dank buds to attract pollinators

Thanks a lot for this advice btw. You are making me feel a bit better about this. None have died yet, which I am surprised by. It's been almost a week since they've been in the ground. Iowa corn fields have a lot of nitrogen because we rotate crops.

Ya I got you user. You should be just fine then.

alright. Not sure yet on how to tell the difference, but thats nothing 10 minutes of research cant help me with.

Disguise your appearance when you visit your crop, and be on the lookout for game cameras.

all the land I have planted on is private ground I have permission to do it on. I only visit the spots at night because i still live with my parents.

Op, did this before. Basically my shit was set up and did exactly as you, and I bet you will get good buds.
Rule1: tell/ show no one & don't bring anyone there. Period.
2. If you can, put chicken wire around them so animals ( mainly deer) aren't able to eat them.
3. Spend the time / energy/ research on how to properly cure your buds.
4. Also, remove male plants as soon as you can identify which ones are males.

Np. My first grow was completely solo and outdoors. Started with 6, 5 died leaving me with a female. About 2-3 weeks from harvest my popo neighbors came over and pretty sure they saw it. Got sketched, cut it down and made hash oil with incomplete buds and fan leaves. The plant was about 5'6" when I cut it. Would post pic but it's on my other phone at the house

I did start an emergency bag in case these ones dont work out. not sure what i will do differently if this gets fucked up.

>private ground

Irrelevant.

Holy shit...they get over 5 feet tall??

Male plants literally drop balls about 8 weeks old

Chicken wire isnt an option, but I read that chili powder, pepper, harsh spices will fuck up a deer's nose and wont harm the plant if it's more than a foot or two tall. Gonna try this hopefully, and the corn field will hopefully give the deer more to eat than my weed. I know how to cure, I did it for my friend who grew inside and i did an ok job at it.

Was the hash oil good? Can you explain how to make it?

either way, no game cameras in the corn field or by the river. area in the woods is between the two.

Yep. They can get around 8' if you let them grow that tall. Look up how to tie down plants. Basically you clip of a branch or 2 then bend the plant over, carefully, and tie down the top to a stake in the ground. It'll start growing up again from that point and will still make buds on the part you tied down. It's to keep plants from being visible over other foliage and increases yeild

Ok, when you get caught, just know that I will always be here to laugh at you and say i told u so.

Oh sweet jesus fuck. You let them stretch and grow their cotys and first true node without putting them in the ground.. good luck A. Keeping them going and B. Managing their lankyness. You were supposed to put them in the dirt when you had a few cm of taproot showing with seed covering the cotys.

yeah, i have been learning from an old paralyzed man who sells me my rags. he told me how to tie them down. There is a bit of ditchweed around, so i might just leave it alone because it looks natural to most people here lol

the first ones planted werent like that, but this is good information to know for next time. Could I plant these up to the node? There is no reason for the stem to be above ground really.

I fucked up the hash oil lol. I ground everything I was using to make it in a coffee grinder then put it in a few jars with 90% isopropyl alcohol. I fucked up by letting it sit for a few minutes, you're supposed to do it really quick to only let the THC dissolve in the alcohol. Then I filtered out the plant matter and dumped the mix into 2 baking pans and evaporated off the alcohol with a hair dryer. Then just scrape up the gooey mess that's left and you got hash oil

Yes, that's exactly what you are supposed to do give it like 2-3 inches between the soil to the nodes and it should be alright.

cool. and this oil. do i smoke it on top of dry herb or make an edible or wut.

these are only 2-3 inches long anyways. They just look big because there are about 25 in one bunch. I leave them in a wet paper towel inside a ziploc so moisture stays in. I set it by the window and they just go nuts lol.

Ideally a dab rig would be best, but I didn't have one at the time and just hotknifed it. Tasted like shit cuz I fucked it up but got me stoned

oh alright. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks guys. I am feeling a lot better about this. Even if only two or three females reach maturity, I think I will be happy with the haul.

Yeah man, just having one plant to harvest is worth it, especially if it's your first grow and isn't for money

Haha. For real man. Anyways, wish me luck. I might be back on here in a couple days. I will post the same pics as today. Happy Growing, man!

If that's the case you'll need to make it shorter like 1.5in soil to node because if it is 3in long now that's from the bottom of the root to the leafs. And you can just put the tip in the dirt it needs to build strength and harden it's stem up so it can't grow thicker and be more resilient.

Yeah user you too. I'll look for the update

about this time in 4-8 days. :D

gotcha. I will just make sure any roots are secure and that it's got some room to grow too. I am only throwing these in the ground to replace any ones that die.

Congrats, you effectively have weed sprouts.