Will America ever be good at Soccer?

Will America ever be good at Soccer?

No because our athletes care about other sports

Only if you somehow be able to move your federation to UEFA or make MLS something big like NBA.

Only the women, because there aren't enough men down there.

No because all our top athletes will go to the sports that get them more money and prestige

no but I really hope you win this copa

european soccer leagues would offer contracts to our players, if they were any good.

That's were you fail. A top football player doesn't need to have great athletic skills and i doubt that a very technically gifted footballer skips the sport for another american sport were he sucks.

tl;dr: Technique and criativity > Athleticism

>more money
Make less than the best soccer players

>more prestige
The sports would only be on a national level

0/10 apply yourself

not again

It depends on how you define "good", but I'd argue that we're more or less there already. I don't think we'll reach the "elite" tier (Argentina, Brazil, Italy, Germany) for a long time, though. The pay-to-play model in our youth system is taking a long time to die, and MLS academies are utter shit with a few exceptions.

This. Relatively speaking, USMNT is a good side and would beat most countries in the world. But they will never win the World Cup or seriously threaten the elite nations, at least not for a fair few decades.

the best and most dedicated American athletes don't play soccer
it's literally that simple

I don't know about money but prestige?

>Not wanting to do it on a world scale
>not wanting to win an Olympic medal
>not wanting bragging rights over another scrub national team

Senpai...

We are good. Will we ever be great is the question.

We could be GOAT with an actual interest, but it'll never happen unless the NFL and NBA collapse

Is Messi a great athlete?
Football is not all about strenght and speed.

When less parents allow their kids to play Football (American NFL) those kids will start playing Soccer I'm assuming, there will be a large vacuum that soccer could easily occupy as it is relatively cheap/simple for a kid to pick up.

we already are great

we're going to win the copa america

and then we're going to win at the olympics

and then it 2018 with an older pulisic, we will win the world cup

all of the world, from south america to europe, is shaking in their boots right now

you have no idea what is coming

No.

We're winning some really important thing right now I thought? Seems pretty good to me.

Winning a ship in an american sport means a whole lot more to americans than winning one from anywhere else. sure the top soccer players earn more but we look locally and mls players make peanuts compared to a basketball football or baseball player

Probably not in the forseeable future. Winning the World Cup generally requires more than just good players, it's all about developing a particular footballing culture and attitude towards the game which starts from grassroots and youth level upwards. After the 2002 World Cup, Germany decided they needed a shake up, and so drilled a very particular style of play (efficiency, direct passing, moving the ball quickly, etc) into the new generation of kids across the country. It took over 10 years but they developed a tea, and an attitude which won them the World Cup.

America can do the same, it's just a matter of whether enough time and money is pumped into "soccer", not just in terms of the MLS but at all levels.

Is Pulisic an american name?

All names are american names

Also if I can just blab a little more, England is starting to shift towards a new attitude in an attempt to win the World Cup. It remains to be seen whether it works or not, but it's a promising step. We're starting to promote English players in the Premier League to a greater extent by introducing new quotas and putting more pressure on the top clubs, and more importantly English kids are being raised to learn a more technical and creative approach to the game. Rather than the physical style we usually learn as kids. That's certainly all I was taught when I was growing up. Hopefully the shift in emphasis pulls off and the England team ten years from now is full of more technical players.

No.

Please only reply to this post if you made it out of the Group Stage in the last WC.

N O P E
O
P
E

>Only if you somehow be able to move your federation to UEFA
Why would the USA give up the easiest path to the WC?

>if they were any good
if they were any young
FTFY

In 10 years tops, they will be very competitive.

I care about soccer for one month every 4 years, so what difference does it make

>Is Messi a great athlete?

Have you seen him run? He's ridiculously fast. This "soccer players aren't athletic" meme is just as stupid when Euros push it as it is when Americans push it. Even soccer players who don't "look athletic" like Muller are great athletes, otherwise they wouldn't be able to compete. Just look at how most attacking players fall off of a cliff in their early 30s, that wouldn't happen if athleticism wasn't a big part of the game.

It's the same in many countries where fĂștbol is regarded as a huge game. Here most (the great mayority of) people only care about the NT.

I met an American in a bar
>I'm telling you bro, in 12 years America is gonna be a serious competitor for the world cup
He then preceded to drunkenly tell me why he thought so 3-4 times

It's getting better.

I thought that in the US, the kids have to pay a shitload of money to be able to play football. A shame really. Did the MLS implement a new system ? Because I really think that you guys must be losing a ton of good players because they can't afford to pay for their formation.

>WE DUN CARE G-GUYS ;_;

>you now remember this

We didn't qualify for olympics m8

I think that what user mean was that if Messi was born in the US, he never would have been given a chance because he doens't fit the view of the "big, stong" athlete that exists in the us. In fact it's pretty weird because this "athlete" mentality doesn't really exist in Europe, at least for team sport.

True

Soccer will become a lot more popular because of brain injury in football.

Because American sports are heavily about physical size.

American Football is heavily reliant on your physical size and strength. Basketball you pretty much have to be tall.

The popular USA sports are very size dependent.

In order to get that fat Euro contract, you have to be better at soccer than most of the world

Compare that with:
>Football
Americans and very few Canadians

>Baseball
Americans and Latino manlets who lie about their ages

>Hockey
Canadians, rich Americans who live where it's cold, and Slavs

>Basketball
>Americans, giant Africans who have no skills other than being tall, a few Canadians, Aussies, and Euros

What is Soccer?

I

i hope not

It is a boring sport

That's up to americans. You could become the best country in the world, with the best league within 40 years if you wanted to.

CAAAAALCIOOOO!

Give me a fucking break. The best basketball player in the world is Steph Curry. Baseball regularly features fat dudes because they have insane hand-eye coordination.

The truth is that soccer isn't very popular, although it's on the rise. I bet as more and more parents refuse to send their children off to get concussions at age 7 from playing football, soccer will grow in popularity.

He never would have been given a chance at soccer? That doesn't even make sense

i will never follow a "sport" in which the game can end in a tie

[code][/code]

you are making good steps, but it takes time

but you are slowly and slowly improving which is a good thing

I'm sure there are some of Americans best and talented youth athletes training at soccer right now. The youth game is much more popular today than it was even 10 years ago

>I thought that in the US, the kids have to pay a shitload of money to be able to play football. A shame really. Did the MLS implement a new system ?

Yes, about 7 or 8 years ago all the MLS teams opened up academies that are free for talented kids. The expensive non-MLS travel teams are still out there, though, and they're actively hurting the development of national talent because they pull kids into teams that are meant to beat other youth teams, not to actually improve the kids.

I think I shattered my television at 0:08