Incentivising defensive football

>incentivising defensive football
>teams don't even need to win to qualify from groups
>teams being rewarded for finishing 3rd
>not a single game with more than 3 goals after 17 games played
>no side has scored 3 goals in a game yet

This was not a good idea.

See World Cups 1982 - 1994

I don't think this semen slurping sport is for me.

This euro is so fucking shitty compared to the 2014 WC

switch to Copa

We told you it was a semen slurping sport. You didn't want to listen..

It's worse than the meme Copa America going on too.

24 teams and possible 3rd-place advancment are a mistake

>Probably

Euros a shit

Can someone please explain what has been changed? I haven't seen what has happened

Trips confirm

wait what

3 teams advance

for what fucking purpose

Also there are virtually no entertaining players anymore, at least not in Europe

>no more OOOOHEYYYYYAAAAAH
>instead now we have WEH WEH WEH WUH WUH WEH WEH WEH WUH WUH

Used to be 16 teams in 4 groups which meant chaotic group stages where good teams had to play each other immediately and win or face elimination. Now it's 24 teams in 6 groups where 4 of the teams that finish 3rd will qualify for the next round. Teams literally don't have to win to go through.

this cup will have worse bus parking than 2004.

>defensive football
ice... land

Vardy was entertaining to me going into this. Bale has also become what Ronaldo is to Portugal. Was also interested in the Milik Lewa combo.

But yeah it's lacking like hell.

I'll put it here so I don't spam posts: Gotze is a terrible striker.

But what have they done with the knockout stages? If there are more teams going through, must they not change the size of the rounds?

Reddit is (unsuprisingly) in favor of the 24-team format

The four best 3rd placed teams I think

Maybe it'll suddenly turn into a recognisable tournament after the groups.

I ll have to call bullshiet here. Not all teams are rewarded for ending up 3rd. Its the 4 best 3rds.

And you know what ?
We ve seen some groups with
Team A:9 points
B:4 points
C:4points
D:0 points
where team B goes forward because their goals for/against were 3/3 while Team C gets eliminated because their goals for against were 2/2. What exactleh better did Team C do?

The fact that 4 out of 8 3rd teams qualify for the final 16 means that they ll need to have at least 1 win (or 2 draws minimum).

Also they give a chance for the less competitive teams to manage to show up to the finals.
How would teams like Czech rep, Turkey, Ukraine, Slovakia, Albania manage to qualify for a 16 teams Euro ? We saw nice football from Ukraine against Germany, Nice football from Slovakia and very good management from the Albanian part. We wouldn't see that otherwise because who does even watch the Qualifiers if his NT isnt playing ?

Last but not least, another reason they expanded the thing was because of the fckin Group of Death that occured in each one.
Lemme remind u of 2012:
Group B: Germany Portugal Netherlands
Group C: Spain Italy Croatia

There are both pros and cons in this thing for us, the funs. But the simple truth is that more teams -> more visitors -> more money

16 instead of 8 just adds an extra knock-out round, this shouldn't be hard to understand

seriously i just think everyone sucks
not about the tournament having more teams, i really like it seeing norn ialand and island

>what Ronaldo is to Portugal
*was. He's finished.

Payet, Modric and Hazard (he still played a good match even if the rest was lelgium) seem to be the only ones really stepping up

Yes. Where we once went from group stages staight to the quarter-finals, we now have a Round of 16 after the groups, that will feature 4 teams that finished 3rd in their respective groups. So teams like Germany and Poland tonight don't really have any incentive to go for a win.

I hate numales that complain all the time.

Just enjoy the fucking games you cukcs

and only the english and german FAs spoke out against it...

Idk if it's obvious but the changes were made so that the 3rd games didn't end up being worthless in many cases.

Now every game counts. That was the idea I reckon.

>How would teams like Czech rep, Turkey, Ukraine, Slovakia, Albania manage to qualify for a 16 teams Euro ?
By winning their qualifying groups, finishing ahead of the Netherlands, Turkey and Iceland like they did in real life?

There's that word again

You do believe Netherlands especially would be that easy if only first spot gave instant qualification while 2nd just gave play-off round?

This is the only reason both Netherlands and especially Greece failed to qualify from such an easy group, the air of the "i ve already won this just coz i am me".

To be fair netherlands group wasnt easy, but they are Netherlands. Greece Group was easy and even we should have dominated it.

Teams have an 87% chance of qualifying from their group if they get three 0-0 results. And the smaller nations know it. That's fucking shit. We've had so many late goals because it's only when a team scores that their opponent has incentive to score.

the tournament lasts longer now so i'm fine with it. it's comfy, loads of games, some are shit, but it's still nice to watch so much football, and it'll ramp up in excitement once the group stage is done and feel super exciting in comparison. patience children.

Damn I wasn't keeping up with that competition, whe did Brazil get eliminated? Kek

>enjoy 0-0s where neither team shows any initiative and stop complaining

t. merchant

Mo' teams mo' money. Soccer is not a sport anymore, it's business.

Knockout phase will be clusterfuck.
Runner-up v. Runner-up
First team v. Third team
First team v. Runner-up

How the fuck is this fair? Some groups have adventage and some don't.

4 of 3rd placed teams advance. Don't know why. But according to the Wikipedia page you get money for advancing, so maybe it is meant to finance some of the OK tier teams so that they can spend money on better training, so that in the future we have a more interesting competition?

Worst euro of all time?

really mediocre so far, let's just hope things improve during elimination stages

I don't know, does it matter? If a team is good they shouldn't have any problems, if they are bad what chance do they have of winning the championship anyway?

Why do people suddenly like the 2014 WC? It was so fucking shit and riddled with complete refball

It takes time for every change to get used to.

Norn Iron and Iceland would have been in this Euro if it had been just 16 teams

they were 1st and 2nd in their groups

Depends. If Poland wins it all it will be the best.

>teams being rewarded for finishing 3rd
That's shit.

... are you implying that the Netherlands failed to qualify for the tournament because it was presumably easier to qualify...

My 6th EURO, so far definitely

If was fucking GOAT compared to the shitshow that was 2010 WC

And the only real refball happened when Brazil was playing, they got found out during that Germany-Brazil match and they had it coming

Undoubtfully. Or do you think any of the Iceland , Czech Repub, Turkey have anything close to the roster of the hollanders?

They didnt give proper attention to the qualifying group until the last 2 matches where they needed 2 wins to qualify. Anxiety played its part.

>Defensive football from small nations hasn't been a thing since euro 2004
>Lying to yourselves

This euro is shaping up to be pretty interesting unlike 2012

You guys haven't realized the biggest scandal in EURO 2016

Just look at last WC... You get the public shots with the mad mexican, some random blonde sucking an icecream or an amerilard drinking pig's juice.

IN CURRENT EURO there's no spicy shots of hot women in the stadiums, it is...

HARAM
A
R
A
M

Cause there were a shit load of great
games

5pa1n
Brazil croatia
Germany algeria
7-1
Brazil Chile
England Italy
Germany ghana
Netherlands Costa Rica
Belgium usa

Just top off my head

2000 > 2008 > 2012 > 2004

This one is shaping up to be worse than '04 so far

well three 0-0 results -> 3 points
1 win -> 3 points.
not much of a difference , i was trying to point out that since 4 points can be enough for a 2nd spot, the 4 3rd best spots will need at least 3 points to "almost" secure qualification.

It wasn't the GOAT 2006 World Cup, but 2014 was still really, really good. Plenty of memorable games and moments like 5pa1n and the most devastating World Cup game of all time, The Semi-Final Solution.

>implying it will get better in the knockout stages

I'm predicting 5 of the 8 games to go to penalties.

Not even that but there was some god awful matches
>Basically every argentina match
>every holland match outside the spain and 3rd placed match
>Every belgium match
>Final was awful
>Brazil refball

Don't know how people can complain about defensive teams in this euro when so many knockout matches in the WC went 0-0 to ET. The only fun teams at the WC were algeria and colombia

you think your flag might have something to do with that opinion?

Technically doesnt a total underdog winning the Euros (in chances we were 15th out of 16 teams behind Latvia , to win the euro 04)
make that euro interesting ?
Doenst an underdog beating the favorite host in the opening match make it interesting ?
Ofc our football sacked for the eye, but if you were Greek , even excluding the fact that we won it, it was a very good euro. we played every best NT of 2004, Czech Republic (the real favorites) , France , Portugal (host and best portugal ever) and we managed to get results.

2008 > 2004 > 2012

It was painful to watch, it went beyond a simple bus parking.

yes and I can see others putting 2008 over 2000, but 2000 did have great players and great games

Considering how bad the 2010 edition was, 2014 looked pretty good by comparison.

>GOAT 2006 World Cup
You were too young to watch 1998, right? It was a lot better. Knockout stages in 2006 were mostly boring, safe defensive games, just like 2014. At least 2014 had 7-1. Also group stage in 2014 was a lot better than in 2006.

1998 > 2014 > 2006 > 2002 > 2010

2002 could have been as good as 1998 but referees ruined it. Still better than 2010 which shows how fucking terrible that tournament was.

Bar 7-1, 2014 was all about grinding out wins

The tactic of 'parking the bus' that smaller nations are using has been done for a long time

>2004
>Rehagels Greece outmemeing the giants of european football

This was a pleasure to watch.

Look at the group stage though

is this the pinnacle of football lads?

ABEs got btfo today and it was glorious

All they could do was shitpost and spout pol memes

I'm still too mad about Advocaat subbing Robben out to think back rationally on that tourney

in fact that's the only thing I remember, aside from Greece winning the thing outta nowhere

>we want more shitty teamts to see england and other good teams scoring many goals
>shitty teams not so shitty
>reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee make euro great again

go home janusz boy

I watched World Cup 98 but I was too young and it isn't clear enough in my mind to have an accurate assessment of how good it was. I'll never forget Scotland playing the opening game against Brazil though. Last time we played tournament football.

How did you find that you? Unless you went there? Think it's time to stay there then, Adolf.

>england and other good teams
What?

98 was the greatest

>tfw DENNIS BERGKAMP, DENNIS BERGKAMP, DENNIS BERGKAAAAAAAAAAMP

>1 game out of 10 ends 0-0

Literally the euro so far with least 0-0s.

You faggots will cry about everything. Fucking welfare grabbing cukcmale.

Enjoy what's there

whats your opinion on my thoughts about why both the NED and GRE failed to qualify from their groups ?
check post
>68545670 idk im new here no h8

>tfw your hemisphere has the superior international soccer competition this year

>I complain because finally all 3 matches in group stage matter
wew
I think this is great

Hopefully it will end up like the opposite of the last WC: boring group stage, exciting knockout stage. The WC 2014 blew its load early whereas this one is hopefully just warming up.

I think all of the big teams look vulnerable this year so there could be some crazy results and upsets.

Dunno, he must be drunk

If Spain of germany wins it
>yes.
If a meme nation wins it.
>Best euro's

1970 > 1982 > 1986 > 1974 > 1966 > 1978 > 1990 > 1994 > 1998

You were born just a little too late, I'm afraid. 1998 was garbage, like every world cup since ( except possibly 2006 )

If you would like to cleanse your palate after watching a day of modern trash, watch any goals round up video from 82, 86, 90, 94, whenever. Its glory.

Netherlands costa rica was a 0-0 borefest with the only fun part in which van gaal went with his meme tactics of Changing goalkeepers for the penalties. netherlands mexico was the good game. sneijder with that close range blooter to seal the Tie and overtime and of course Robben gets a penalty from dying by a tackle and HUNTELAAR penalty goal to snatch away the win. Absolutely based how the neverlands removed the beaners

Deep in my heart I'm cheering for Poland.

group stages are always cagey affairs

> 1990 better than 1998

You're kidding right? Also how was it garbage? It was a perfect mix between entertaining magical football and tactics. Most other World Cup were either too tactically retarded or too defensive and boring.

2004 was great you fag. Portugal was good, the czech were fucking cool. Netherlands were okay and of course the greek meme. 2004 was absolutely based you basketweaver

>there are three teams from the UK, including a second Ireland
Was expanding to 24 teams even necessary, financial incentive aside?

They could just do that anyway.

Go to bed grampaddy

You wrong. The reason all those WCs are considered better is probably due to the Number of Goals scored I pressume ? Why did many goals get scored then ? Because team budgets were 10 million and 8 million went to the offensive players while the others shared a few bucks.
Noone cared for defense. But if you include mind and tactical game in sports you get 2016's football. Where everything matters and the True purpose of football comes to the surface. Its not just score goals, its also concede fewer than you do score.

I dont even remember when the offside rule happened.

>I think all of the big teams look vulnerable this year

true, no team has really been shaping up as a favorite so far.

>suddenly remember NO ERA PENAL

holy shit the asshurt was absolutely glorious
Obliterated my sides

Not one of the 18 games so far has had more that 3 goals.

I'd love to know the last time that happened in a World Cup or Euros.