Discussion thread:

Discussion thread:
Just saw this movie and now it had me thinking. What if every little thing that happens in our lives is actually something we are trying to be told? That creak in your house at night... that time when you swore you left your wallet on the kitchen table but it's in the bathroom. Just makes me finally believe that everything indeed does happen for a reason.
>inb4 nerdfag

Other urls found in this thread:

interstellarfilm.wikia.com/wiki/Gargantua
interstellarfilm.wikia.com/wiki/Miller_(planet)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Screw that, I'm not thinking about that.

Haha it's driving me insane, tbh. Have you seen the movie? It's brilliantly done

Honestly, now you know what it's like growing up in a religious household. My Mormon parents were all about everything being divine communication of some sort.

Have you ever read the book called The Alchemist? Its a short book (took me about five hours to finish) which deals with a very similar concept of the earth giving you signs to help you acheive your goals.

Muuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrph

Science is the only god in the universe

I'm Lutheran, so we are scheptical about the whole "everything happens for a reason" thing

Never read it, but I'm interested. Who's the author?

If that were true, someone should've creaked some floorboards and told you to watch this back when everyone else did

Yes, I have (you responded to me.). Also I've read all of Paulo Coelho's other books. I find he comes off a bit preachy.

If you say you wouldn't have done the same thing, you're shittin yourself bud.

Dafuq even is this movies?

Paulo Coelho

Paulo Coelho

I read quite a lot, and this is definitely one of my favourite reads.

Except for everything that happens after Matt Damon enjoys the effects of bad docking. Maybe even the docking while being in a rotation performed by the crew afterwards was cool enough, but then it all goes to shit.

Also one astronaut explaining wormholes to another is like one car engineer explaining to another what is a car.

Lol, preaching to the choir bud.

Asshole, you aren't the OP. It's me

Not super familiar. Are you more of a "God doesn't communicate anymore" Christian?

Paulo Coelho
I read quite a lot, and this is definitely one of my favorite reads. The bonus is I got it at Barnes and Noble for about $15.00

Basic philosophy explained to vaginas

>Five hours.
>book is 1 cm thick
Learn to read, user.

That's true, but hey, it's not like it's a murphect movie. Every movie has its flaws

kek, we have ourselves an impostor boys! WHICH IS IT!?

No, I think he does. Just not directly. But this movie has me rethinking a lot of things.

There is reading
And then there is understanding

I read it during a very uncomfortable car ride, if it means anything.

Not all astronauts are physicists. Very few are. Most have other specialties, like biology.

No, and here's why:
This is the time travel paradox as seen in HP3, and GoT
where the reason you're time travelling, is because you already know you did it, which is retarded for a lot of reasons.
This means that if you haven't gotten those signs, you wouldn't have done it. Therefore you shouldn't have gotten those signs.
Also, time travel is impossible

Exactly. And preachily explained.

I don't see what people find brilliant about it?

Literally nothing.

worst movie ever

Science isn't a God. Science is the explanation of God's rules.

And then there is being a dense motherfucker.

Odds are we're a computer simulation, so you're both kinda right and kinda wrong.

It's Satans rules not God

Oh god, don't get me thinking about that again.

It just baffles me that people actually think we are the only planet with living beings in the universe.

I've always thought this too

The only thing thats predetermined is the unknown and random chance nothing happens for a reason its all random that is the only consistent

A brilliantly done movie doesn't have flaws in its internal logic. I must admit the movie has some great pieces. The scene where the guy sees his daughter aged to a full mature woman and cries is very well done and I can get past the scinetific illiteracy that made the entire scene possible. Or the scene where Matt Damon explains his basic survival instinct while Matthew's character is choking, it's actually scariest scene I have ever seen in a movie.

Okay, I'll make it easier for you. It's like an astronaut botanist who is sent on a mission to Mars to plant vegetables into martian soil asks another astronaut during the said mission what is a planet.

u've forgotten murfs the movie

>scinetific illiteracy
>scinetific

Typo aside though, what exactly was wrong with the science behind that bit? Does relativity not affect time?

I'm unaware if you know what the term "science fiction" is, but this movie falls under it. So, if you ARE unaware of its meaning (I'm almost certain you are,) you should look it up

Of course, but wouldn't you consider the creator of the simulation God itself?

Hence the kinda right bit for you. If you're Christian though, I'd say you're probably still mostly wrong.

I'd rather just ignore it and masturbate

According to our current understanding of science, it is impossible to travel backwards in time. But that's the thing, it is our current understanding. In the movie they essentially create a fictional new understanding of science, one in which the futuristic beings allowed the viewing of the singularity of a black hole, and created a structure within it that allowed the navigation of higher dimensions within 3 dimensions. To me, anyone who says the movie isn't scientifically accurate doesn't understand the "fiction" part of "science fiction" as
said.

If I remember correctly, everything up to entering the black hole is scientifically accurate.

You were saying there was a problem with him viewing the video of his daughter grown up though. No info had to pass back in time for that to happen, and he hadn't entered the black hole yet.

Not a Christian, just like thinking about this stuff ;)

I'm a different person, and I misread the other guy's post. I thought he was talking about the end when he sees his daughter as an old woman on her deathbed. I've always assumed the radio waves or whatever method they used to transmit the videos just passed through the wormhole, allowing them to be received by the ship.

The time dilation effect was too great. The required gravitational pull would be massive and their distance from this object would have to be a lot closer.

Also relativity doesn't affect time. Relativity is observation of the effect of velocity and mass of an object that is always relative to the observer.

Science fiction can still follow its established logic. This movie did not.

Yes, gravity affects time, but the function is an exponential one (hockey stick). Realistically getting 1 second to become 1.001 takes a shitload of gravity.
Even 10 years becoming 11 years takes so fucking much gravity.
But the movie takes it to the extremes. 1 year becoming 7??? That's so fucking much
I even did the math, and in order to escape orbit under that much gravity, you'd need to travel around 299 500 000 m/s, which is more than c.
Also, being under that much gravity would kill you. People can be in some g's for a long while, but some hundred g's you can only stay in for short while. thousands? rip sweet prince
Also, the mumbling man should have been dead going into the black hole. The reason being partly that his body stretches due to more gravity on one end of his body than the other.

Tl;dr
1 hour becoming 1.1 hour more like it.
1 hour = 7 years ? lol
Murph becoming older than mumbling man? hahah no.
Also rip mumbling man

>By calculations of Kip Thorne, Gargantua is about 100 million solar masses, placing it firmly as a supermassive black hole. Furthermore, it is an edge case in that it's somehow spun up to maximum minus 0.00000000000001 of the maximum, dragging space around it as it did so.
>interstellarfilm.wikia.com/wiki/Gargantua
One of the main reasons Planet Miller isn't pulled into the black hole in spite of its proximity is that Kip Thorne made sure that Gargantua was a rapidly spinning black hole—and it turns out that the physics of rotating black holes differ from non-rotating ones. The sheer speed of Gargantua's rotation means there is a single stable orbit just outside of Gargantua's event horizon that is very stable.
>The time dilation on Miller due to the gravitational forces of Gargantua would be tantamount to the planet moving at roughly 99.99999998% the speed of light
>interstellarfilm.wikia.com/wiki/Miller_(planet)

Is there anything wrong with this? Genuine question, I'm not well-versed in this field of science.

No, nothing wrong with this.
I also read up on this before doing my calculations.
Gargantua is what is known as a Kerr black hole, one of 2 rotating black hole solutions to Einsteins field equations. What this means is that it dilates time by frame dragging as well,
cont.
>bump b4 404

Bump

Meaning that it has a greater gravitational pull /radius from mass center, due to angular momentum.
Now, the frame dragging (Lense–Thirring effect) can not provide enough gravity by itself to make Interstellar possible, as it doesn't compare in size to the gravitational pull by gargantuas mass.
I'm sure Kip Thorne knew this, but bent some rules to make Interstellar happen.
Interstellar is a great movie to explain how it works, but it's still not realistic by its numbers.
It should be taken as a fiction

Gotchya, thanks for explaining in detail. I haven't been able to get an explanation out of someone until now. Just "hur dur the science is gay so the movie is gay"

Actually in the movie one hour becomes 7 hours. For that much time dilation they would need to stand on the surface (by surface I mean point of no return) of a very small black hole.

Yes, it's still bullshit because the dragging effect is too small to be able to cause this. Miller would need to be moving that fast, and they wouldn't be able to land on it, but of course the planet would be able to exist only for a fraction of a second.

Also if the effect on Miller would be that strong and Miller somehow still held itself together and they could land on it. they would cross a spacetime curvature of return. Every path they would take would lead back to Miller, and to the black hole.

Oh nice, i came to explain, and ended up learning more. Did not know the spacetime curvature would cause this

1 hour was 7 years, not 7 hours

Yeah years, thanks. Dunno why I said hours.

But you calculated the required escape velocity, haven't you? If it's greater than the speed of light it's pretty obvious the curvature of a spacetime leads back to itself.

Oh i see what you meant now, nvm

One question though, do you know if the (un)observable blackness of the black hole starts exactly where the escape velocity reaches c?