Continue mid-tier career, or devote life to learning theory and composition and forming a stoner metal band?

Continue mid-tier career, or devote life to learning theory and composition and forming a stoner metal band?

I'm 21 and feel that dank riffs are in my destiny. I've been passionate about music since I could hear, have been fucking around on guitar since I was 13, but have only very recently begun to take it seriously (paying attention to theory, playing more than just 3-chord dadrock belters, etc...)

what an asshole.

???

Bump

If you want to play stoner metal, I see no reason to spend a lifetime learning theory and composition.

The music just isn't all that complex.

That said, theory and composition are important to any musician. I think if you learned those things through, you probably wouldn't want to play stoner metal anymore.

Whatever user. Follow your dreams and then you can't say you didn't try.

I said - you are an asshole.

21, and you can't make your own decision? Really, what a loser.

>The music just isn't all that complex.
That's true, but to develop my original own style in any genre would require me to be fairly competent, right? Or have I got it wrong?

Pretty much this.

Stoner metal isn't born from music theory. It usually starts as two guitar players literally getting high and jamming over a few riffs or ideas that they had. Then they take those groovy vibes and include the rhythm section.

No reason you can have a career and jam on stoner metal. Having a career helps you afford rent on a practice space, something you'll need if you want to play at the volume levels the genre requires

* no reason you CAN'T have both is what I meant

Sorry if this isn't high quality enough for a board where shortlisting is the norm.
I just wanted to discuss the feasibility of coming up with good original music if you're prepared to work hard.

>taking the bait

he wants attention

do the stoner thing but also grow and sell cannabis on the side - diversify portfolio

*Shitposting

Well the cool thing about theory is it's just that: theory. Not rules, or music law, just theory. Leaves all kinds of room to develop a style uniquely your own.

>It usually starts as two guitar players literally getting high and jamming over a few riffs or ideas that they had.

But if you listen to something like electric wizard or sleep, they surely must know their pentatonic scales well to produce good blues-y riffs.

It's not difficult.

PENTA=5
TONIC=Tone/tones

It's a scale with 5 notes. That's all. Perfect for a stoner.

bring some x like godsmacks shine down with thier harmonica play etc

Yeeeeah thats more of a retards way of explaining it. That shit can be way more complex if you look into it. Music theory is fucking insane.

Continue with your job and keep it as a hobby until/unless you get big you idiot. You think people in small bands don't have day jobs? Fuck!

Fuck that guy

21 and no direction- is basically fucking normal.

I'm starting over @34. Had a master's degree in biz at 23 before everybody did. Speak foreign languages.

Starting low again but cream fucking rises. I rose in something I wasn't naturally inclined to.

You'll have to do both for a while . you have your passion. Get paid to do something you're good at. We can do more than one thing.

Yeah, I figure if you can produce good stoner metal knowing little theory, as people are saying ITT, then you can produce mind blowing stoner metal knowing a lot of theory.

Not saying that theory is the only thing involved in creating a tune, but just knowing your way around how music is structured would help a lot I imagine.

Enjoy your homelessness

You special snowflake fuck. "I feel destined!" Stfu and walk the walk instead of talking the talk

So does scum, of course.

Do both.

I mean it would and it wouldnt.

Las band i was in had a dude that went to berkeley, and knew fucking everything theory related. Amazing guitar player. BUT... our other guitar player knew very very basic theory, but was by far a better player. He wrote most of the music.
He's also writing some insane stuff for this new band me and him put together.

I think it depends on your commitment to your instrument. And how much you love to play

Does anyone actually have cuck-queening stories or experiences?

I don't think theory will make your music 'better'. Western music is simple - 12 tones, and the guitar offers a few timbral techniques on top. What it will do, is help you play and compose with others who also know music theory.
There are obviously ways to improve your playing through theory - but it's not a magic box full of tricks and turnarounds. It explains and codifies the broadly mathematically-founded system of western music.

How can a pentatonic scale be complex? Please be specific.

Dude dont bash someone on their fucking drive to not do normal bullshit all their life. We have enough 9 to 5 clock punchers in this world. And to me, music is fucking KEY to being happy.

I get so depressed and down if i dont play anythijg for a few days. The feeling and the drive to want to just play music for a living is unexplanable

YOU NEED TO CALM THE FUCK DOWN REX

More into the different types, i mean thats just to me too. I did jazz band for a few years in HS and the dude insisted i take college level music theory my senior year. I didnt make it past three months. Idk why but theory to me might as well be algebra taught to me in ancient sumarian.

Heres a little pentatonic knowledge from wiki

Musicology commonly classifies pentatonic scales as either hemitonic or anhemitonic. Hemitonic scales contain one or more semitones and anhemitonic scales do not contain semitones. For example, in Japanese music the anhemitonic yo scale is contrasted with the hemitonic in scale. Hemitonic pentatonic scales are also called "ditonic scales", because the largest interval in them is the ditone (e.g., in the scale C–E–F–G–B–C, the interval found between C–E and G–B).[8] This should not be confused with the identical term also used by musicologists to describe a scale including only two notes.

I mean, those are big words. But it's just wasting syllables giving simple concepts in scale theory big-name words. Academia works to suffocate art - not because theory is bad, but because obscurantism is.

Okay, sorry about the rant - Jazz band in High School sounds cool! I found - back when I played in a band - that a little interval theory went a long way. One day I'd like to learn more.

Yeah thats probably what completely makes my head melt is all the weird words. Idk.

Jazz was really dope. I did that for 3 years and was in orchestra too all 4 years. Did all that while having a band outside of school too.
But both gave me some fun memories. Sophmore year in orchestra we went to ny and played in the shell in central park, and carneige hall

OP is a faggot

Exactly