Just finished watching this, I can't believe people like this steaming pile of garbage

Just finished watching this, I can't believe people like this steaming pile of garbage.

American History X for anyone who doesn't know.

This is literally shot like some highschooler's ambitious first film project. One of the girls in my 11th grade film class could have directed this. Not even the ending saves it, in fact the ending is like a confirmation of it's shittyness.

I honestly can't think of a movie that was a bigger let down. It fails to convey it's point in every manner possible. I was actually laughing at almost every "serious" point in the film because of how unbearably stupid it came across as. I had to pause during the dinner table scene because even Norton looked like he wasn't buying his own bullshit, and the sterotypical liberal responses with the little quips that imply bigger meaning but actually mean nothing had me seething. They can't even represent their own point, let alone give you an actually accurate, fair, nuanced view of the opposite side that explores more than just the black and white of it all.

Please, for the love of god tell me you people don't think that this is a good movie.

that was an awesome movie. so well done.

literally

You're about 20 years too late, young fag. It was a marvel for it's time.

ya its a good movie your just an idiot trying to think big thoughts
it was david mckenna's first big script pick up
the guy also wrote blow and bully
the movie had some dumb parts but overall it was good

love love love this movie.

OP casts shitty bait, gudnight m8

Explain this to me.

I don't get it, I just don't. Is it because I grow up in a time when these ideas are already common? And is that really a good thing now, that such basic black-and-white ideas that the movie presents are considered the way to think?

Not only that, but how could it be considered a marvel? How could something which such awful screen directing, terrible sound design and music placement, and trite and predictable characters with no depth, actually be considered good even 20 years ago?

Dumb parts? Just parts?

I think you guys need to go re-watch this now. There are so many scenes that don't make sense, that have no purpose in the movie. So much shit that was just thrown in "for effect." Music that was so unfitting it was almost comical, like it was trying to be sarcastic. Do you remember the scene where he kicks the jew guy out and the lady goes after him? And then what the jew guy says to her? Oh, and that slow-mo shit where she falls down on the curb. What the fuck does that even mean? Where did it come from? WHY? WHAT DOES IT REPRESENT?

name a good movie

>>"for effect"
I "think" you're a "troll"

Fight club.
Trainspotting.
Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind.
The Usual Suspects.
Apocalypse Now.
Pulp Fiction, The Seventh Seal (a bit dated for my tastes though), Seventh Samurai, Sword of the Stranger, Catch me if you can, The Machinist, The Prestige.

Explain? Make a point maybe?

thanks for sharing

try harder mate

>look at me throw out these smart sounding words
>look at me make myself into a total fucking retard while trying to sound smart

6/10

You shoulda stopped before you over extended.

I like Fight Club, but you could make nearly all the same criticisms - laughable serious parts, black & white picture of corporate world vs "real" people

Pulp Fiction isn't really comparable

>>Catch me if you can
Now I know you're trolling

I'm assuming you're and edgy 15 year old. It's not because you didn't like the movie but because your attitude in trying to make a point. Stop acting as if you knew shit about filmmaking

You are, most definitely, a nigger. An offended nigger at that.

No one gives a shit if you don't like it.

/thread

I prefer "This is England"

>look at me greentext so I get a free ticket to make fun of things without actually rebuking them or making a counter argument

I came to /b because I thought ight you guys would agree with me but I should have expected as much.

Nice numbers

But fuck off. In my op I only make one reference to "film making" and it's non-specific. What I mean when I say a highschooler could have directed this is that it is so non-subtle, stereotypical, and filled with trite bullshit that doesn't even make sense that it honestly looks like the kind of story and structure I would expect a high schooler to produce.

You expected Hollywood to fairly represent something unpopular? You resent that the movie builds itself up as a true look into being a skinhead when really it's just a wank-tale about how badly they think the spiritual life of a skinhead goes. Yeah. You should, the movie's a piece of shit and it's argument is the standard "wrong side of history" bullshit. The ending is bullshit, telling what is essentially a jihadi that his life will be pain because of his beliefs is fuel for the fire and nothing else. This is why liberals can't deal with terrorists, they're too fundamentally arrogant about human nature to begin to deal with it and they're lucky we're around to give a fuck if they're safe or not.

Yeah. It's fucking thankless.

Fight club gets a pass for its use of unconventional characters, an interesting setting, and an awesome plot twist that was well hidden and well executed. However, it hardly does what AHX does. It's serious parts were almost supossed to be funny, and they don't constantly try to inflict a greater sense of meaning to it. It has some of the flaws you said but you can't compare the two like that, they are way too different in their narrative structure and the problems are far less severe in FC than in AHX.

Don't even know why you brought up Pulp Fiction specifically. You asked for good movies, not comparably good movies.

>It's a personal favorite and I liked the dynamic between DiCaprio and Hanks. Say that about any other movie I listed faggot.