I'm writing an essay about the ethics of transplanting the head of one person to another's body...

I'm writing an essay about the ethics of transplanting the head of one person to another's body. Just need some imput here: give me some ideas about ethical considerations.

since it hasn't been done, i'm currently mostly searching references from facial and limb transplanations.

I was amazed to see that they can actually do this stuff

another

It's not about what we should do. It's about what we can do.
For science.

this is from a hand transplant

including the brain? if so its more like transplanting some persons body to another ones head.

infact i think it is way more socially complicated to switch your face but keep your brain than it is to keep your hand and just swap your body

Ok, so this is the story: a neurosurgion called Sergio Canavero says he can do a full body allotransplant in 2017 and he has found a candidate,

so assuming he is going to do it, what ethical questions will be encounterd
This about stuff like: when the body regains controll and fucks, and gets someone pregnant, who's child will it legaly be>?

Well, there is a science stream called embodied cognition, saying that not only the head is involved in cognition but you body is an integrative part of it

yeah that would be the correct terminology

The "to be transplanted"-head is of a person still living whilst the body belongs to a dead person?

Hmm... there only was Vladimir Dhemikov who transplanted a dogs head. The head even accepted treats from the staff after the surgery.

Its pretty difficult to get an ethic standpoint on this if the circumstances are not clear enough.

I think if you would do that on 2 living and perfectly well persons, it wont be ethical tbh.

There has been at least one person who has a "face transplant" which is almost the same thing

i can see these people going crazy because in their mind they're like "i'm wearing someone elses face... i'm someone else... i'm wearing someone elses face... i'm someone else... i'm wearing someone elses face... i'm someone else... i'm wearing someone elses face... i'm someone else... i'm wearing someone elses face... i'm someone else..." all day long

Its only skin transplantations. Nerve endings never grow together.

no ofcource the body is of a braindead person that has given concent for this specific transplant

Ethic is usually the fear of repercussions

Valar Morghulis

Not true. they regain functional (movement in muscles) and sens back within weeks. Also one case study of a boy that has not had sensation in his face for 12 years, got it back after the transplant. Showing how plastic the brain realy is

u sure u understand the word "ethic"?

Actually they do prety well. With the right counceling (and much support from family/friends). Immagine how they looked before..

Not only i understand, but i went beyond that.

>/16
True, and White did it in Monkeys. But there was the problem of rejection. However nowadays that can be fairly well managed. Furthermore, current techniques (electric stimulation, stemmcells, fusogens etc) allow for spinal reconnection.. something that was far from possible back in the 50s

Yeah i already have info on that. already 40+ people had that.
So any ethical plroblems with that?

this would be the guy getting a new body

It would for sure be great.
I think that ethics will adapt again with the new opportunities medical research giving to us.

Could imagine there was a similar problem when they firtstly started to abort, transplant and whatnot...

And on the other hand there was lobotomy acceppted too..

I agree, and actually, i think this will happend one way or another. But thats the point: since it will happend, what kind of ethical considerations are we gona run into.

Another thing that is already being done is that serotonergic neurons are farmed from fetal tissue and injected into the brain of parkinsons patiets.. With succes!

i guess these issues might be alittle over /b's head

fuck ethics.

I don't quite see an ethical issue here so much as as a psychological one.

Imagine every day looking in a mirror and seeing someone that isn't "you".

It's different from seeing someone else's hand or leg attached to you, or knowing you have someone else's kidney. But to see the face, every day, for the rest of your life, of someone who is deceased?

To live your life, knowing your literally wearing the face of the dead?

That'd fucking drive me nuts.

It'll be Satan's child, for this be the work of the devil.

what if the body is rejected?

Are you talking about Nick Cage?

What?
How do the neurons connect?

yeah but with a full body transplant, that wont realy be a problem.. you would have other problems though.... and my question is: what problems (ethical or other) would you encounter?

I would have to look that up. I know they have aiding techniques

Wow, that's pretty amazing that it works.
I watched some guy with robot arms a couple years ago.

I don't think it's unethical at all.
After my death I don't really give a fuck about what's happening to my body, since I'm not living anymore. My organ donor's pass says that every organ that's still of use should be used and I wouldn't mind if they took anything else if it helps to improve the life of a living person.
after all, if you think about it rationally it really isn't that different than transplanting anything else from another person but I'd have to agree that the psychological side might be a lot more interesting to look at than the ethical