Can anyone rec jazz that only consists of a piano, a kit, and a stand up bass?

Can anyone rec jazz that only consists of a piano, a kit, and a stand up bass?

For some reason this is my favorite combination of instruments in jazz (thus far) and I don't know how to find more of this specific lineup. Is there a genre title or anything?

Pic mostly unrelated, I'm just listening to it right now and I like when the arrangement drops down to piano/kit/bass like in track 2.

So you mean piano trios?

Oh, so there's a name for it.

Thanks senpai, I'll run with this. Everyone get out.

b-but do you still want recs?

Sure, I guess this stupid thread can still be salvaged. I'm all ears.

It's kinda obvious the recs, but anyway I'm assuming you're new to jazz. Check Bill Evans (Waltz for Debby/You Must Believe In Spring)
Ahmad Jamal (The Awakening)
Don Friedman (Circle Waltz)
Tord Gustavsen (Being There)
Roy Haynes, Phineas Newborn, Paul Chambers (We Three)

That's a good start.

Oscar Peterson's Night Train is a great piano trio album, also the Bill Evans Trio with Portrait in Jazz is a sweet piano trio.

>I'm assuming you're new to jazz.

Safe and accurate assumption.

I'll check all of those and as well, thanks guys.

There's a short yet happy guide by jazzthreadguy with a specific section on piano trios - hunt it down if you can. Otherwise backing recs for bill evans, maybe paul bley if you dog slightly esoteric stuff

Bud Powell - any trio record

Teddy Wilson - The Complete Teddy Wison on Verve

Erroll Garner - The Complete Savoy & Dial Master Takes and also The Most Happy Piano - The 1956 Studio Sessions

Bud Powell- Jazz Giant
Duke Ellington- The Duke Plays Ellington
The Horace Silver Trio and Art Blakey
Red Garland's Piano
The Herbie Nichols Trio
Bill Evans- Sunday at the Village Vanguard
Oscar Peterson- Night Train
Chick Corea- Now He Sings, Now He Sobs
The Ray Brown Trio- Soular Energy
Keith Jarrett- The Mourning of a Star
Paul Bley- The Nearness if You
Fred Hersch Trio- Dancing in the Dark
David Kikoski- Consequences
Craig Taborn- Chants

Duke Ellington - Money Jungle

why do people always recommend this record?
it's really not that great

yes it is.

what do you like about it?

this isn't b8

i liked this record when i first started listening to jazz, but i liked it less and less each time i listened to it.
that being said, i'm going to put it on after i finish listening to this Jimmy Rowles/Red Mitchell record (I'm Glad There Is You)
maybe it's time to revisit this 'classic''

For instance, I think Duke's piano playing here beyond terrific. This album showcases his piano more than his big band ones for obvious reasons, and for that alone it's great. Furthermore, Mingus is always pushing these jams forward, along with Max Roach, chasing that challenging and delicous sound of "avant-garde" jazz. Besides all that, the fact that they managed to do be so consistently good and energetic in only a 30 minutes album statement is nice.

I hope I made myself clear. But if you don't like it too much, that's ok, that always happen with 'classics'.

ok JTG

I'm no jtg

>Mingus is always pushing these jams forward
it's actually Max who's pushing the jams along - he plays ahead of the beat

The Vince Guaraldi Trio is pretty great

i like this one

Well, a lot of people have recommended a lot of classics, and I absolutely recommend that you give those suggestions a listen, but I figured I'd offer a few more contemporary piano trios as well, just for variety.

The Avishai Cohen Trio are phenomenal, as are Phronesis and the Esbjorn Svenson Trio (which all have a somewhat similar sound).

Brad Mehldau may be a great entry point since you're new to jazz (partly because his approach to dissonance is almost always very gradual, and partly because he plays a lot of popular tunes you might already know quite intimately - and the reinterpretation of standards and other familiar music is a big part of jazz, and one which often serves as a barrier for entry).

Tigran Hamasyan Trio, Vijay Iyer Trio, Yaron Herman Trio, Eldar Djangirov Trio, LABTrio, Florian Favre Trio, De Beren Gieren, Helge Lien Trio, Jason Moran and The Bandwagon, Robert Glasper Trio, Marcin Wasilewski Trio, and Matt Choboter Trio are all worth checking out.

For a slightly different take on the jazz piano trio, see it fused with a j-rock aesthetic in the band 'Fox Capture Plan' where the upright is swapped for an E. bass.

They also use an E. bass in Ismael Circus, Phishbacher Trio, and P.L.I.N.T., but all three are solidly within the realms of jazz rather than rock.