Easy one

ITT:Overrated bands.

I'm so sorry...

Jesus christ they're all so ugly

Eh fuck it why not.

In utero was pretty good

Who the fuck are that guys?LOL

Their best.

Journey. They made shitty rock songs in the 80s. Most notably "Any Way You Want It." and "Don't Stop Believing".

while I will enjoy Any Way You Want It every now and then, Journey really is fucking terrible

Jesus christ, thank you for posting Journey. I think we can all agree anything uber mainstream from the 80's was pretty if not totally overrated

For a second I thought you were talking about the Foo Fighters. Literally the common opinion of them is they're overrated how does that even work.

Overrated =/= bad

No problem. I've always hated their shit.

I'm curious what some of these other overrated 80s bands are though (I think out of my albums the 80s are the decade I have the least music from)

The Doors are legendary, but if Morrison hadn’t have died, I don't think we'd hold them in such regard. Cream is leagues ahead of them in every way, and yet we don't ever lament their short lived career as much as The Doors.

I'd say:
AC/DC
Van Halen
Poison
Bon Jovi
etc, etc.

Creams booooooring

...Wow I am out of touch with 80s music.

I don't think I know many songs from any of those people (Save for Bon Jovi who I heard on a country music video tv station when I was a kid).

KISS. Everything they did.

if the common opinion is that they are overrated, then wouldn't they actually be appropriately rated?

You've heard something from all of them, guarantee it. But they are so very homogenized and vapid, you'd never really know until you've heard them a million times

This
fucking awful

Well yeah they were HUGE, I'm sure I heard something from them. Guess I'm just not an 80s rock kind of guy.

(With the exception of Billy Joel. That man is amazing).

Aside from the guitarist, all of their work (aside from 'One') sounds like the kind of music an NFL fan would jerk off to while beating their kid

oh, you think that just because I'm wearing a U2 shirt that I consented to having the new U2 album on my iPod? THIS IS RAPE

seriously U2 overrated as fuck desu

Great band with a shit vocalist, just like Megadeth

I guess yeah

Agreed. My dad still bumps U2 when I go to visit him. I don't get it.

I never thought of it like that. I guess it's just because I listened to bands that came after them first, that it all just seems very samey as far as the instrumentation goes

wWhat do you mean all I see is QT's

>Cream is leagues ahead of them in every way

No.

Morrison lyrics are far better than anything Cream put. Cream was a bad ass power trio jam band to be sure...but the genius of Morrison's lyrics cannot be denied.

>Van Halen

I dont see how a band that spawned multiple sub-genres (hair band and speed metal) and influenced an entire generation of guitar players could be considered over-rated. They fucking ruled the World for awhile.

Eddie Van Halen is a badass guitar player, there is no denying that. But to say that the band as a whole isn't overrated in many many ways, especially when it comes to lyrics and production, it's impossible to call them underrated or even great.

Ghost
Queens of the Stone Age

>Ghost

>Queens of The Stone Age

Care to elaborate on why you think this? Not challenging you, just curious.

No particular reason. I have tried on numerous occasions to listen to both of them but finally gave up. I know a lot of people like them, but I don't see the draw to either of them.

That's understandable. My philosophy is always:
Don't force yourself to listen to something more than a couple of times just to "get it". If you don't like it, then I respect that.

[Entry 2] Not a 'Band', I know, but still. Overrated still stands.

pro tip: you can't

>especially when it comes to lyrics and production,

meh- They were great- the first album dropped like a bomb. Completely changed rock and roll. They were the 80s before the 80s even happened. But they were a partying hard rock band so I'm not sure what you expected in term of lyrical brilliance...but DLR was/is one pretty fucking wittyy dude...his oil/water mixing with EVH created some of the most catchy hard rock tunes of all time.

Production? again meh- the first album had EVH in one channel and the rest of the band in the other- and it still sound pretty fucking dynamic to this day...but production value of recordings- to me- do not really add or detract from the greatest of a band.