Is anyone making electronic music that is actually good?

Is anyone making electronic music that is actually good?

The whole EDM scene is a complete joke. IDM and experimental forms of electronic music are trying so hard to be an alternative, but they are moving away from the fundamental things that make music good. Not to mention the fact that most of it is 'different' in exactly the same way, and ends up sounding just as generic as the beatport top 10.

We keep hearing that the next Mozart or Beethoven is sitting in his bedroom programming beats into his computer, but there has been no evidence of this so far. Every song sounds the same as 10,000 others in the genre, regardless of how experimental or progressive the pretentious cunts who make it claim to be.

EDM's 'Stairway' is Strobe by Deadmau5. Its the sound of our generation. Its the pinnacle of modern artistic expression. Its an embarrassment.

Am I missing something here? Please tell me there are some songs, some producers, some labels, someone out there who is using the incredible gift of free access to technology to make something with at least a shred of artistic merit, because I've been digging into the scene for years now and if what I've heard is the future then it's a future that I want no part of.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qge9JJwq8IQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Even if this is pasta, it's good pasta that I subscribe to.

>electronic music is all EDM or IDM

wew pardner

reply to this post with dubs or your mother will die in her sleep tonight

good bait my friend

It's not pasta I wrote it just now

I'm just using them as examples because EDM is the face of electronic music these days and IDM is offered up as the alternative if you find that to be lacking. I've at least casually looked into basically all the popular subgenres as well as a lot of more obscure underground stuff over the years, and the trend is the same throughout.

>EDM's 'Stairway' is Strobe by Deadmau5. Its the sound of our generation. Its the pinnacle of modern artistic expression. Its an embarrassment.
Fucking kek. I agree

You posted them because you're a dumb pardner and don't have a clue about music and think exactly that

Kanye is the electronic modern Beethoven of our generation

The intro is quite nice, I remember years ago when it was still quite new and I had heard it was an absolute masterpiece, I was listening to the unnecessarily long intro reading the comments of people saying it gave them chills, the best drop of all time, they were literally in tears, this song changed their life... I was fucking hyped actually, surely this is going to be some good shit? My God I have never been so underwhelmed, are there not a hundred thousand songs that sound almost exactly like it when it finally gets to the point? Imagine if the payoff to Stairway or Bohemian Rhapsody was that bland and lifeless, no one would've given two shits about them.

That's how low the bar is set for electronic music - someone who happens to be the popular guy of the moment manages to put a vaguely interesting intro onto a dull generic beat and he's hailed as a hero for the ages leaving millions of euphoric disciples orgasming in his wake.

Whatever drugs these kids are on I need to get me some of that.

1. the kids are literally on drugs
2. because of drugs and lowered attention spans, very few people care about depth and technical ability. You're pissing into the wind at this point bro

Wrong u gay.

Is that just the effects of E? I've taken it a few times but I never became that retarded.

No, it's also the effects of the internet and smartphones. If something's not easily digestible it won't be popular. Just look at the literacy levels of the average person.

I came across that same feel the other day on youtube comments.

>browsing through tennyson tracks
>sounds cool
>one of the tracks has this awesome intro
>samples from gameboy videogames and a flurry of complex beats
>after the intro, it's just another rnb/hiphop song
>check comments

>"wow, that intro complicates my brain"
>"the intro is kinda hard to follow, but it turns really cool after"
>"I managed to listen to the intro on my third try :P"

I just wanted to delete the Internet.

>1. the kids are literally on drugs

Are you straight edge?

No alcohol for you I hope.

>listening to any of these types of music
>mocking others

Is this the post-irony of Sup Forums I heard about?

Thinking in absolutes is also a marker for a lack of thinking ability.

Point out where I said I'm straight edge.

So you aren't then?

I just can't understand it. Rock and metal had some of these same problems when they became more mainstream, but for so-called true fans it was always a progression from the retarded generic shit to more interesting and complex stuff, the crazy shit seemed to capture people's imaginations and turn them away from mass produced crap.

I remember when I first started making electronic music I thought people would like it because compositionally it was much more complicated and interesting, I honestly believed that people must be tired of hearing the same old shit and it never occurred to me that the music is completely devoid of creativity because that's how they want it to be.

No. But there's a difference between using a drug and letting that drug alter your mind. See

Alcohol is objectively worse.

If we're talking about the masses and electronic music, it works like this

>thumping beat
>minimize backbeats and complex ghost notes between upbeats
>make the song have a simple structure: catchy singing/riff, buildup, drop, catchy shit, buildup, even bigger drop
>in order to keep the masses content, make some gimmick that sets it apart from others: stupid voice, retarded sound effect never heard before, shitty movie sample, etc

And always remember to conform to the current trend.

>drug that can give you a heart attack vs drug that makes you tipsy

ayyyyy

youtube.com/watch?v=qge9JJwq8IQ

>i like deadmau5 because he makes his stuff using his feelings like he suffers from depression and you can hear it in his newer tracks

HAHAHA oh lawdy

the Ambient/Experimentlal scene has been making some good stuff

Steve Hauschildt/Emeralds
Daniel Lopatin
Ben Frost
Tim Hecker

check my 4/4

>electronic
>EDM

Advanced apologies for the meme of a shit-storm that's bound to follow my post but you ask an honest, thought-provoking question and imo it deserves an honest, thought-provoking reply:

Afaik the only electronic music artist actively engaged in successfully pushing the medium to its max potential in the ways you describe (eg taking advantage of free access) is - well - Grimes.

There is an enormous amount of artists out there. Thinking only one of them is pushing boundaries is naive.

>EDM's 'Stairway' is Strobe by Deadmau5
Stopped reading here

Well memed, sir, well memed.

I said "successfully pushing" for a reason. I know for a fact that there are many people currently engaged in making innovative and experimental electronic music, but the only one who send to be doing it while also occupying (for whatever reason) the sort of zeitgeisty position that also marked out the likes of Mozart and Beethoven from the many other fine musicians active in their respective eras seems to be Grimes.

How is minimal synth a meme genre, it's been around before the Internet and its just experimental synth pop

>EDM's 'Stairway'
lol you still view stairway to heaven as some kind of musical high water mark and you're confused about why you dont get modern music?