2/?

3/

4/

5/

6/?

7/?

8/8

I'm lost.

Me too. I was waiting for some bareback to be offered as rent or something.

And checked

Just read everything and still lost

What the fuck is this explain yourself OP

Roommate hasn't been home in two months. He text me seven days before rent was due and asked if he could pay less rent

So? What is the problem?

This afternoon he came over and moved his stuff and asked for deposit back. Typically 30 days notice is required to be eligible for deposit, right? He is not paying this month AND asking for his deposit back

He was very angry and started shoving me. He pushed me up against the wall while choking me. Shortly after he let me go he attempted to come at me again so we fist fought

I don't know much about renting OP, dumb it down a little bit.

He has also threatened to barge into my office and make a scene/slander my name online. This is relevant because I work in an industry where reputation is everything.

Just call the cops and let them sort it out idiot.

If he wants to be a Jew he can be a Jew behind bars. End of story.

Sue him for defamation of character then. You get the last laugh.

My name is on a lease with a landlord. I'm responsible for collecting the rent every month. We split the total cost. He put down a security deposit that he gets back at the end of the lease or after a 30 day notice. When he first moved in, we made an agreement that if he wants to move out, he has to give 30 days notice so I can find a replacement. He is stiffing me this months rent with no 30 day notice AND wants his security deposit back

There really isn't an issue here.

Did you do it by the books? Do you have a rental contract? If so, follow that, more than likely he had to give notice and still owes rent for that month.

Did you do it under the table without a contract? He doesn't have to pay you shit. Deposit is yours to keep.

Then don't give it to him OP. Fuck that guy. Maybe you should speak to the landlord or take legal action if he wants to be a prick.

I'm considering paying it to him as extortion money... I don't want any drama. He's a true loser and will absolutely do some stupid shit if I let this drag out

Fuck that , keep his deposit.

Pay the full rent, but put his deposit in escrow at the clerk of the court.

Elaborate?

Under the table

Hey OP I was in a similar situation (sort of).

I own a house and I rent out 2 of my rooms.

Essentially one of my roommates went to peru for a few months, and on his last month there I made the huge mistake of paying his damage deposit to cover for a month of rent while he was gone. Basically I had good faith that once he came back he would work and then pay rent and the deposit back.

Anyways he comes back and is a slacking loser and is late on rent, I try to talk to him about rent and also bring up the fact that he does owe me the damage deposit. This causes him to go berserk and get all nutty in my face.

I simply called the cops, had them go over our agreement, they said he has a week to GTFO and he owes me the rest of the rent / 2 weeks of the current month or I will be within my legal right to take him to claims court.

He didn't fight it, he left after a week, paid up, we agreed to disagree so there wouldn't be bad blood and moved on with our lives.

This guy sounds like a fuck, you pay rent to have temporary ownership of a room, if you use or don't use that room is irrelevant, you should have never agreed to anything OP. Tell him to either give rent or get out, its that simple.

That is your mistake, now you know why people record these sort of transactions / agreements. Learn for the future.

I know he is going to do something malicious in return if I don't pay him. As I've expressed, I also don't want to involve the law to draw negative attention to myself. The only way out is for me to pay?

Call the police faggot

Then if he does something dumb, there will already be a report on his ass so it will be ez pz to prosecute.

Placing his deposit in escrow will require him to fulfill his portion of the agreement before he can get it back.

Now you've been doing this under the table so your options are much more limited. You're on the lease, he isn't. He isn't obligated to do anything and you're not obligated to return his deposit(I wouldn't). You might be stuck going to small claims court and you could win there if he admits to the verbal agreement.

Next time, even if it isn't in the lease, get any roommate to sign some sort of contract and have it notarized so you're protected better.

Still sucks man.

Moral of the story: Dont get roommates. It always turns to shit at some point. Been through that myself.

Asheville's a nice area bro. Easily my favorite area place in the southeast. Hope you can work out your roommate issues