How do we remove the French influence from the English language?

How do we remove the French influence from the English language?

Other urls found in this thread:

urticator.net/essay/0/19.html
youtube.com/watch?v=IIo-17SIkws
anglistika.upol.cz/vikings2014/
anglish.wikia.com/wiki/English_Wordbook
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>influence
>language

Let maxibros invade you.

what Bong evil is this thread about?

we are french
we are one

>the NFL plays 4 of their regular season games in England

lmao

At this point you might as well just pick another language. German perhaps.

It is high time to remove the outlander's speech from our wordstock. Death to the Franks.

>remove
>influence
>language

all french words

How can we take the French sway away from the English spell/speech?

Try learning Finnish if you want something completely different

We start speaking like cavemen.

>Most of "french" words come from latin and currently have an italian equivalent.

Your only problem is your ego.

>remove
>from Old French removoir

Go back in time and kill William the Conqueror

we could revive Old English I guess but that would be a pain in the ass

this

this makes me happy

Define Old English, because the current one is close to Old French :D:D :D

Better yet, why didn't we extinguish the english "language" and adopt French like civilized people?

delet

Speak another language

Fush and chups.

t. frog spawn

Qu'y a-t-il de mal avec l'influence française?

Fund it

it is a meaningless bid; the english folk would never swallow such a big shift in their tongue

Why would you want to remove tidbits of a superior language?

>the english folk would never swallow such a big shift in their tongue

You saucy devil.

>ctrl f anglish
>zero results

Its already been tried, its called Anglish. Theres a short work about atomic theory in the language called Uncleftish Beholding (ie atomic theory)
urticator.net/essay/0/19.html

Anglish is well-known.

not in this thread

>We start speaking like cavemen.

>>ctrl f anglish
>>zero results

Pick one. Seriously, look at a fucking Anglish phrase. Especially one in the context of politics, science or other such elevated subjects. It makes you sound like a fucking retard.

You'd be better off removing the Germanic elements from English, making it a fullfledged Latin language.

simple : you can't

We got fucking FRANKED

It only sounds retarded because we're used to germanic words being "lower class" words compares to their latin equivalents.

Read a German text and how they call matter "stuff" and a car a "wagon" and they might sound "retarded" too by your reasoning.

We have state subsided groups that remove english influence from french, I don't see why it wouldn't go too in the other way

This, they use "bound" instead of "country" and "reach" instead of "empire" and noone bats an eye

just because you came from the calais jungle doesn't make you french, abdul

Unrelated, but elements in Estonian are somewhat similar to Anglish:

hydrogen = "vesinik" - derived from "vesi" - water.
in Anglish: waterstuff

oxygen. "hapnik" - derived from "hapu" - sour.
in Anglish: sourstuff

english isn't even remotely close to being a latin language

loan words =/= language family

>make 100% purely Germanic form of English
>sounds like a barbaric subhuman language

youtube.com/watch?v=IIo-17SIkws

Exactly.
Most languages have loanwords to some degree, some have very high percentages.

E.g in Estonian over 40% of the vocabulary is borrowed. About 25% are germanic. (middle low german, high german, proto-germanic, proto-norse, old swedish, swedish, baltic german (local high german dialect))
And this is not counting newer loans from Latin and Greek.

>Firststuffs
Literally a word a child would make up

See firststuffs. In Dutch and German that's still elements. In the sciences we still speak of reactions, formulas and methods and not of returndeeds, writtenbeholdings and doways.

English is 60% Latin obviously because the average people in Roman Britain spoke Latin by the time of the fall of the Roman Empire just like in France another former Celtic country conquered about the same time as Britain.

sorry m8, it was done long ago

In Estonian it's pretty much the same, most scientific vocabulary is Latin/Greek.

Although we don't use the word "formula", we use "valem" - derived from "valama" - to pour.

>In Dutch and German that's still elements. In the sciences we still speak of reactions, formulas and methods and not of returndeeds, writtenbeholdings and doways.
that'll be because you have loan words and romance influence then

>firststuffs
>waterstuff
Sounds even more retarded than actual english.

Move, from the verbe mouver, se mouvoir, hardly used in french, always used in english. Thank you for cherishing your roots so much.

Indeed. And removing something as impactful as Roman and Greek influence makes you sound like a mouthbreathing retard. Who knew that for the sciences we generally prefer the terms of the founders of Europe and the schools of logic over those who wore bearskins and fucked elk?

Have fun appearing like a retard. Or should that be eyewatcheding like a slowthink?

>remove
>influence
>language
You literally can't.
Why would you remove the only good thing about it anyway?

>English is 60% Latin
again, loan words
>the average people in Roman Britain spoke Latin by the time of the fall of the Roman Empire
factually incorrect
roman integration in britain was very minimal, they kept to themselves and the average briton spoke a variety of celtic languages before the angles, jutes, and saxons (and later norse) arrived

english is actually a north germanic language born from a west germanic language with romance loan words and trappings of celtic words leftover

fyi i'm not the lad you were originally talking to

This got me thinking about word derivation.

"appear" - in Estonian this is "ilmuma", derived from "ilm" - meaning weather, world - so the meaning is something like "to come into the world"

"retard" - is "alaarenenud" - lit. underdeveloped

Synonyms are only positive; they add to the richness of a language.

Having both "waterstuff" and "hydrogen" would be beautiful, in my opinion.

Tell me more about Estonian !!

Science (English) - Wetenschap (Dutch) - Knowingship (English again)

>alaarrenenud
i like how estonian sometimes looks like finnish

but you are fenno-ugricarum so i spose that's not surprising

English is West-Germanic with some North-Germanic influence.

It's closest relatives are Scots (which split from Old English) and Frisian.

Latin derived words in your post:
>factually
>incorrect
>integration
>minimal
>variety
>languages
>actually
It's not "just loan words".

What would you like to know?

Why not replacing all Germanic words by latin words?
After all civilization is an heritage of the Roman Empire.

that's literally what the original words are also derived from you chuhnya

Why not adopt Welsh?
It is the direct descendant of the original language of Britain, Brittonic.

that was the previous assumption before recent studies
here's a new study by two linguist:
anglistika.upol.cz/vikings2014/

to summarise, the angles and the danes created a mixed language through shared words with norse grammatical structure and a hefty amount of old norse words too
the resulting anglo-scandinavian language went on to become middle english and later modern english

it's a very interesting read and explains why english sits so awkwardly next to other west germanic languages but fits nicely next to scandinavian

a wordbook for you nerds
anglish.wikia.com/wiki/English_Wordbook

>implying civilization didn't start with the enlightenment, where Portuguese, French and British writers like Descartes, Spinoza and Locke fled to the Netherlands and wrote down Dutch ideas to spread to the world.

think you don't quite understand what a loan words is desu

Interesting.

Yeah, I know.

Cause its a removed place which never did anything good for the world

Actually, it started with the Dutch independence war, where we rejected the divine right of kings and catholic religion and started the republican revolutions across the world.

>Je maintiendrai

And so we did.

What about the renaissance?
The return of classical Greek and latin influence and philosophy did a lot to mitigate the influence of the church.
When you read Les lumières you'd notice that they are heavily influence from classical philosophy especially regarding politics and science.

Since I live in the New World, I don't think I care much for how english sounds anymore 2bh.

I'd rather learn a less raped existing language, or learn the olde one

Either straight up speak old english or don't. Modern english without french or latin influence sounds and looks terrible. Google anglish and you'll see what I'm taking about.

You're welcome.

>You'd be better off removing the Germanic elements from English, making it a fullfledged Latin language

That actually sounds pretty interesting.

In Dutch its is 't is.

>this angers to the romance speaker

JUST

>to the
whoops haha

how embarrassing haha oops haha

All of you in this thread are retarded. English should only use words from Slavic roots, and return to how things are supposed to be.

Everything between he Romans and when the Netherlands was founded is called the Dark Ages here.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages

>mfw the dark ages are unironically from the romans until the founding of our nation

ITT: Butthurt Briton/Anglo-Saxon peasants

That kinda sounds like a Scandinavian language, maybe it's just the way he pronounce words.

That makes sense because as the Latin speaking locals interacted with the Germanic speaking invaders they only learned basic words, for all the nonbasic words they didn't know how to say in Germanic they used a Latin word they knew instead.

Why so mad, 17es bundesland?
>Remove germanic elements from a germanic language
Omega cuck

How do we take out the french weight from the english speak?

see

Note we founded somewhere between 1566 and 1648 during the 80 year war. There is no official date. We just told the catholics to piss off with their heresy and that was that.

In Danish we call the elements grundstoffer, 'basic stuffs'. I have to agree with the negerlander that firststuffs sounds dumb.

The Netherlands is NOT important

t. country who's most important city is Dutch, has a Dutch government model, declaration of independence is modeled after the Dutch one, and who's American dream is Dutch

grundstoffer is marginally better than firststuffs desu

(((again i wasn't the original lad arguing in favour of anglish)))

Lmao, English is not "60% Latin", most of the French words are highly specialized legal and scientific terms, and they have been anglicized anyway.

I'll have you know we are modeled entirely after Flanders