ITT: Shittiest sports team names

ITT: Shittiest sports team names

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_cover_by_state_in_the_United_States
historytogo.utah.gov/utah_chapters/utah_today/utahjazz.html
deseretnews.com/article/705258603/Utah-Jazz-Team-name-still-draws-snide-remarks.html?pg=all
nba.com/nuggets/history/nickname_history.html/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSC_Young_Boys
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSC_Old_Boys
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it's a good name, the only thing i don't like is how they tried to make a pelican look badass for the logo. pelicans aren't badass, and sports logos don't need to be badass. you're not scaring anyone.

Stoichkov please. Pelicans are associated with the state of Louisiana, it's a great and unique name.

I like it

I think MLS teams have some really bad names
super poser names lol

pelicans are huge in louisiana, it was a no-brainer name choice

>tail blazers

at least 1/4 of MLS teams have an absolute garbage name

>FC meme
>Sporting KC
>Real Salt Lake
And then there's the older shitty names like
>Revolution
>Crew (mostly before their logo update)
>Fire
But honestly, as much as I hate to admit it, the Sounders and Timbers are some pretty nice team names.

oh hell yeah Portland Timbers and Philadelphia Union are great team names

ETERNAL

get the fuck out

there's literally no "wild" in Minnesota.

Alaska Wild would be based.
Wyoming Wild
Montana Wild

Those all make sense. Minnesota has a shit ton of farmland, prairies and some woods up north.

even though, in retrospect, Chicago is the city where unions started
know it's not related but I bet the team would be more popular if they had a team name that directly appealed to working class south chicagoans (especially considering the area where the stadium is in)

wtf there are a lot of bears and wolves in the northland

>Utah
>Jazz

>LA Lakers
>no lakes

you don't question LA Lakers?

I still can't believe they actually named a team the Chicago Fire.

True. Look at the Celtics leprechaun.

They should've stayed in New Orleans

You do know it has some historical significance? Rrright?

Boston Massacre > New England Revolution

Both teams moved tho

no shit man but that user clearly didn't recognize it

Real Salt Lake, Sporting KC, and Redbull are the very worst.

whats wrong with crew desu? its not that great but its inclusive and also starts with c. might also represent crews of workers in that rusty ass city.

Why not Boston Mass?

Personally I've been following MLS for like 14 years and can't find anything wrong with RBNY as a team name
Red Bull pushes itself into sports and is willing to drop serious cash to align themselves with talent and success
And at this moment we need sponsorship to keep the league at the quality it is; it will take a long time before we can remove sponsorship from MLS and still have the same revenue stream. Look at EPL and other European top flight leagues...they still have shirt sponsors and they're BARELY looking into removing them
we're a long way away from that
if another company wants their name on an MLS team and is willing to put up the money for a soccer specific stadium and field a team, do it

it's better than new england revolution; that's my point lol

Yeah I just can't get over naming the team after a disaster that actually killed people.

Boston Market then.

And most of the USA teams

>follows MLS for 14 years

SQF?.. sup

Really? What would you prefer? Some stupid bullshit JV team name? There's only 6000 teams with names like bears, tigers, eagles, panthers, etc.

Come on OP

theentiremlsteamlist.docx

On the other hand "Zephyrs" was the GOAT little league name

they have wild somalians

San Jose Quakes and Houston Dynamo are the only non meme names

>Houston Dynamo
That sounds like something a 12 year old would think is cool honestly.

Minnesota isn't just Minneapolis brah

Sounds like it could be an exhibit at a mechanical museum of some type to me

Do americans/anglos even use the word "dynamo"?

Ya, it's a part of an electric motor, I guess

It's something that turns on it's own axis

Right, it's mostly farmland and prairies.

glad we got the based hornets back, the bobcats were cringe worthy desu.

literally the entire northern half of minnesota
have you driven up north shore?

I know what does it mean, but ive never heard it in English

The Manhattan Terrorists
The Orlando Shooters
The Hawaii Kamakazis
The Tennessee Confederates
Are these justified?

those names are lame though man

It's a depreciated word, given that's a bit of an old-timey electrical generation technique.

We use it, but not often.

Only the arrowhead is like that.

And regardless it's a stupid fucking name.

I mean, they use it

We use it in Spanish (dínamo), so I guess they use it too

I'm still amazed they use this shot logo. It's literally a Madden create-a-team one. At least it suits their performance I guess

Have you driven ANYWHERE north of Minneapolis? I go camping off of Lake Winnibigoshish every summer, and that shit is pretty wild, and that's only on the outskirts of the really untouched areas.

What about
Manhattan 911ers
Nashville Rebels
Hawaii Explosions
Orlando Gun Men

I live in Duluth and have never heard that name before lol

>Nashville Rebels
Ole Miss already has you covered

In Australia, Dynamo is a washing powder. Crap name.

How did they even get that name? It's clear what the name is expressing

Confirmed retard

you need to watch the 30:30 documentary about Ole Miss their home games looked like Nazi rallies lol

just look for any minor league teams for any major sport.

>The Pensacola Blue Wahoos

He said the shittiest not THE STRONGEST

> what is the Chicago Fire

At least it's relavent

I think it's a bad name and it's going to either have to move to a stadium in Chicago or be relocated
cuz that team will fail

same with Dallas FC they both have horrendous attendance

i like revolution

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_cover_by_state_in_the_United_States

Literally 30th most wild

Young boys

I kinda like it, + its thematic

Oh, not in Duluth, no; it's an Albany expression.

did you guys get bad weather on Sunday my coworker from Esko said it was pretty bad

I like it, its part of the city/region's identity like the Celtics or Steelers

worst team names
>any generic animal
>any name that traveled with a moved team and now doesn't make sense ie. LA Lakers, Utah Jazz
>

This is why Utah's NBA team is known as the Utah Jazz:
"As incongruous as jazz and the Mardi Gras are in association with Utah, Battistone had made up his mind that the trappings would not change, explaining he wanted those who criticized the Jazz in New Orleans to be reminded it was the same franchise that had later earned success in Utah."
historytogo.utah.gov/utah_chapters/utah_today/utahjazz.html

non-amerifam here, can someone explain to me why "lakers" and "jaz" doesnt make sense

LA Lakers used to be based in Minnesota, a state on the Great Lakes, so the name was a local thing

same with the Utah Jazz, they used to be based in New Orleans where Jazz was invented with a lot of Mardi gras culture

For everyone who asks, Battistone refers to Sam Battistone, the original owner of the New Orleans Jazz, and the man responsible for moving the Jazz to Salt Lake City, Utah in 1979.

eh it was kinda like their rebirth

kinda like a phoenix rising from the ashes sort of shit

Here's another source explaining why Utah's NBA team is known as the Jazz:
"[Jazz founding owner Sam Battistone] also said that when the Jazz got NBA approval to move to Utah in June 1979, 'We didn't have time to change the name' before the season started."
deseretnews.com/article/705258603/Utah-Jazz-Team-name-still-draws-snide-remarks.html?pg=all

(actually it's because MN is the Land of Ten Thousand Lakes)

It kinda makes sense for Houston because they have a big energy industry

any other names wouldve been just as bad 2bh

American soccer is in a weird transition of being either too Eurowannabe or American animal sports name, everyone is gonna have an opinion of it either way

the good ones actually use SC instead of FC and dont use Yuro shit like United/Sporting/Real/City etc., bonus points if its significant

good MLS teams:
>LA Galaxy etc. (it doesnt have a FC or United and the name is unique enough and kinda related to the city)
>SJ Earthquakes, CH Fire (I kinda like naming your team after disasters 2bh)
>PT Timbers, Sounders, Whitecaps (all around good names/from older lower tier teams)
>Orlando City SC (only because it used SC and their crest and uniforms are dope)

I always thought this referred to Chicken Nuggets as a kid 2bh

Denver Nuggets isn't that bad of an NBA team nickname; it has some local significance to Colorado:
"Nuggets" refer to the 19th century mining boom in Colorado, when people rushed to the area, hoping to make their fortunes by panning gold and silver nuggets. It also draws a connection to the defunct Denver Nuggets that played one season (1949-50) in the NBA.
nba.com/nuggets/history/nickname_history.html/

>young boys

>not enjoying young boys

??

- Fremantle Dockers
- Melbourne United (this is a apehoop team, btw)
- Central Coast Mariners
- Western Force

Really hope they go back to "San Francisco Warriors" when they move across the bay

If it wasn't for their based jersey logo, they probably would have already re-branded

Maybe the Fire are failing to draw in fans because the team has been fucking awful for years?

Bobcats were the worst branding ever

>rusty ass city
>biggest industry there is insurance
Columbus =/= Cleveland

Utah Smiths would be better

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSC_Young_Boys
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSC_Old_Boys

Or Boston's socks.

Associação Chapecoense de Futebol

They are called the Cleveland Browns because of coach Paul brown the greatest coach of all time
He's a legend and as such they named a team after him the same team who destroyed the nfl and aafl winning 8 total championships between 1948 and 1964
That's 16 years half of the years were championship and in 1948 they won it and had a perfect season
Those are the real Cleveland Browns
With Otto graham Jim brown frank Ryan Paul warfield frank gatski Marion motley and Lou groza
That is the true Cleveland Browns

Sorry 1946 was the first one

M..maybe with the Cavs winning Hue can bring us an 8 win season....

I wouldn't care if they got 7 wins but 8 wins would be great