Is music The greatest art form?

IMO.
It is.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hMmOg0xlkpo
youtu.be/AZo9ng8h4yQ?t=3m37s
youtube.com/watch?v=HHU2eqCEJ4o
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Subjective question. It's my favorite though.

I think lit is the greatest art form on that image, music and films are about the same and video games are the lowest form of art imaginable desu

Musik>lit>film

>vidya

Silent Hill 2 is better than any of your shitty music or shitty movies.

i like music the most. movies and books are cool. videogames i dont feel like can be compared to the other three though that being said OoT would be a pretty good example of a videogame being art. though they're few and far between

Room installations > statues > paintings > literature > film > music >>>>>>> television >> [POWER GAP] > poop >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> video games

Literature and music are both the highest tier, movies are lower and vidya is not art, it's purely entertainment

Kys

I think vidya could be the greatest art form if it was done correctly, I mean, it can have all of the great things of the other 3.

no, it's really not user, sorry

Literature is not art. Poetry, however, is a form of literary art. However, it is a lesser art form for its reliance on cultural and lingual understanding to properly express itself.
Music is a farm of art, and is certainly similar to all other forms of traditional art for being capable of evoking emotion without regard for language and culture barriers. However, popular music is less of an art for being dependent on these things.
Cinema is also considered a form of art that is as capable and limited as music for its dependence on cultural and lingual understanding. However, its combination of the visual and aural allows it to reach even beyond that of music and traditional art forms by combining mediums to evoke differing emotions.
Video games are similar to cinema, but often rely too deeply on both cultural, lingual and, most importantly, technological understanding, in order to be properly interpreted.

True art is capable of evoking a reaction from any audience. Even the blind can appreciate certain forms of visual and concrete art, and so on.

Let this be food for thought in your pursuit of what art truly means beyond your own perspective.

maybe not music but definitely movies

yeah but there's art in video games

For pure entertainment
Vydia>Literature=Film>Music

For Art
Literature>Music>Film>Vydia

By that logic there is literally no art.

There will always be an audience that will not appreciate a certain form of art.

Why would you use popular music to represent music?

Why not a Piece by Bach, Beethoven, Wagner, or Debussy?

also

>Welles
>not Bergman or Tarkovsky

Fine art
Poetry
Literature
Music
Film
Vidya
Performance Art

Film is not lower

yeah I'd agree with that actually

Literature>Music>Film

Vydia ain't art you faggots

This is the worst thing I've ever read.

Can someone explain to me why vidya is so hated here?
Not saying I think it's high art just curious why people hate it so much

2001 A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, The Shining, Apocalypse Now, The Godfather have ALL been either based on books or inspired by certain books/short stories/novels etc. Those are just the examples I can think of right now, there's many more.

the most boring list ever

Master and Margarita
Black Saint and The Sinner Lady
The Third Man
Silent Hill 2

The AAA games industry is just fucking awful and their target audience are literal retards and normalfags who throw money at everything that's flashy. I still enjoy many indie games but overall it's really bad

You can say literally the same about anything

2001 was made parallel to the book or something like that

Does any other industry put out broken unfinished products that sell millions at 60$ price tag (plus DLCs, microtransactions and season passes)? What gaming industry does is borderline illegal, but they can just "fix it later with patches" so no one bats an eye.

Life>>>>>>>>(power gap)>>>>>>>>>Lit=Film=Music>Painting=Sculpture>>>>>>Comics>TV>>Vidya>Culinary Art

imo art helps you to feel and understand life differently. You HAVE to know at least something about culture/life to understand and appreciate art.

>no one bats an eye
Literally what all gamers talking about right now.

>all American directors

Literature
Visual Arts (Sculpture, Paintings, etc.)
Music
Performing Arts (Drama, Theatre, Verbal Poetry, etc.)
Film
Culinary Arts
Fashion
Video Games (barely even art)

>Life
>Art form
>Above everything else

One of these anons is not like the others.

Film is a visual art though

>all these faggots pretending literature is """""""""art"""""""""""

Exactly, but not many people cared about that album so that experiment failed (I hope so anyway)

Then why did No Man's Sky sell over 2 million copies?

You're still missing my point because a bad industry doesn't make something inherently no art

Music = Literature > Film > Video Games

well your question was "Can someone explain to me why vidya is so hated here?" and I explained why.
As for if it's art, that's questionable. I think some great examples are Stanley Parable, Portal ,Antichamber, The Witness, etc - things that can only work in games due to their interactive nature and non-linear stories

Film is a performance art. Performance arts are the most primal and deepest art forms because they're the most natural to the human condition. I adore literature, but you can't argue that it's a lesser art form because it's not natural to the way we perceive our world.

Music= Literature= Film> Video Games

>Ocarina
>Citizen Kane
That's like having the Beatles instead of Beach Boys for music

What would you put there instead of Kane as the most agreeable best movie of all time

>Ulysses
>not Great Gatsby or Atlas Shrugged

b8 chart

>videogames
>art

You're all saying video games are unimportant as art, but I say that a good way to determine the importance of an art form is to see how dangerous it is.

By this metric I rate them: LIterature > Video games > Film > Music

Literature: The form of art best suited to developing and embodying pure ideas, and all throughout history people have gone to war and worse for the ideas borne from books.
Video games: Very often, people's lives are completely overcome by the desperate reward-seeking behavioural cycles encouraged by video games, to the point that over-indulgence in this artform is widely seen as a trait of poorly-socialized individuals. As video game technology advances, video games become more and more effective a substitute for real-world experiences, and this constitutes a serious threat to our future society.
Films: People are so moved by the perfomances in movies that society at large has become obsessed with the performers, creating the cult of celebrity, and thus the populace at large as come to see their lives of film stars as vastly more important and meaningful than their own.
Music: Like film, but the emotional intimacy of music is enough to make people become obsessed with their favourite musicians or style of music, strongly tying one's appreciation of music to one's identity - and creating bubbles of fanaticism that self-sustain well enough to become lasting counter-cultures, aligned against the broader mainstream flow of society...

*I should add that although film, as per this decription, might not seem like a very dangerous artform (and not as dangerous as music after circa 1980 when it became the highly lucrative vector for the global propagation of disruptive mind-viruses such as e.g. hip-hop) - but you have to consider it to include TEEVEE. As soon as you do that, I think it seems a lot more dangerous than music.

>2001
>The Mirror
>Persona
>L'Avventura
>Otto e Mezzo
>Stalker
>In The Mood for Love
>Winter Light

and that's just from the tip

>Literature is not art.
never stopped reading a post this fast in my life

Is this bait?

Literature > Film > Music

it depends on the author in the end though, Dostoyevsky is on a higher level than let's say The Beatles but Bach is probably on a higher level than Dostoyevsky, and The Beatles are on a higher level than Steven Spielberg but Tarkovsky is on a higher level than The Beatles, etc.

I like the idea of measurings each of the arts by the depth of thought achieved by the originator - but it is not the only way.

I think that if video games, in particular, are measured by the profundity of an "auteur's" thoughts, they don't come out very well. But if you consider them in terms of the emotional and creative interaction with the artform that is experienced, then video games manage to compete perfectly well as an artform.

Anyhow, if we stick by our principle of measuring works of art by the depth of thought of their creators... is it just our small-mindedness that prevents us from realizing that Maths and Science and Philosophy are the greatest arts? o.O

I agree with this post, which is why I think it is pointless to try and measure artforms.

>but not many people cared about that album
lol you're fucking dumb

>2001
>based on the book
Stopped reading there.

Also
>literally what is a non-American director

>Ocarina of Time
>the most casual normalfag "I am le gamer! XD" shit of all time

>not Deus Ex, Morrowind, or even Half-Life

What exactly is meant by "greatest"? If there is nothing else implied by such a question, then the simple answer is that none is the greatest, as that is simply a matter of opinion, and opinion simply cannot be changed by others, especially on Sup Forums. Also, there are too many individual works in each form to accurately grade each, as some in each medium are "greater" than some in another, and vice versa.

However, I will answer your question under the implication that you mean to ask, "what is the purest art form," as that is the first thing I can think you may have meant instead of "greatest." When I say "pure," by the way, I mean that as in not tainted by other general purposes of creating the art.

Under this implication, visual arts (paintings and sculptures) are the purest art forms, as they are most intended to convey a message through their design. Without viewing these paintings and sculptures as a form of art, it is impossible to view them as much more than a pretty decoration.

Literature is the next in the list. It conveys its artistic meaning through words rather than image. For this reason, it is somewhat limited in the emotions can invoke. However, works of literature can take days, if not weeks, or perhaps even months in some cases, to read entirely. For that reason, there is much more a novel can do.

Music is much more limited than literature in its ability to do the work of art, as it's purpose is largely to entertain. For this reason, songs rarely last longer than six minutes, and albums stay below the two-hour mark. On the other hand, music is indeed a very powerful method of communication of emotion, being able to instill an upbeat attitude with a single major chord, or a more somber emotion by opting for a minor chord instead.

>TBC

games have music in them

>checkmate

>Continued
Video games are the least "pure" form of art, as they have never really been used as a medium for such. Their main purpose is to entertain, rather than truly make you feel. However, this is not to imply that video games are inherently artless, as they can have artistic elements to them, and are capable of at least making us laugh or cry at the correct parts.

However, all this analysis is based on opinion. And some may judge by other comparisons, so this is not at all what anyone else has to agree with me on. This is simply how I see art and its many different forms.

Just to sum all this up, in case you faggots didn't want to read it all:

Visual > literature > music > video games

What about cinema

Good vidya > good literature > good music > good movies > bad literature > bad music > bad vidya > bad movies

>lists art forms
>doesn't include visual art (painting)

Are you that retarded?
Also what's with dance, comics, theater, sculpturing etc.

The nature of video games as an interactive medium prevents it from transcending the barrier to "art" as cinema or music. Though all culture is a victim of consumerism - read "The Culture Industry" by Adorno

a lot of good goyim ITT who think "culture" by way of mass-produced, packaged, easily consumable media is worthwhile as anything other than an occasional entertaining distraction

its painful to imagine what so many intelligent, forward-thinking people could have accomplished by now had they not wasted so much time pontificating over which sight & sound poll approved spectacle is the Most Art

Visual media is higher because eyes are more important than ears in most situations. However, filmmaking is for the richest people only, i think its easier to break in the music industry because it costs far less and there's less elitism. Also music is here to stay, while visual media trends are always changing. Vote goes for Music. Filmmaking is probably the lowest form, sure there's some stuff and many great minds have been inspired by films but really not worth the effort. This is like trying to eat a cake with lots of shit in the top. Not going to go through the shit just to find some tasty bits, sorrt.

Both mediums are throughly unimportant for anything but entertainment though.

Video Games are entertainment just like music and films are entertainment, you are not exactly helping the world become a better place by watching 2001 or listening to Radiohead. Also some videogames can teach you valuable lessons through repetition, this has been studied many times, their effect is simlar to that of reading books. Yes there's lots of bad stuff in videogames but the potential is there. It is the I would honestly put videogames at the same tier of literature.

Literature = Videogame => Music >> Film

Music can improve your mind and make you a better person, so it's not only entertainment. I know this because after listening to music I'm basically a better person. Music made me think things I've never considered before...before music I was losing my mind, kind of blind, in a sort of spiritual swamp of death and I was considering taking my life because I really saw no point in it all...And I was kind of stupid...but after sitting down and listening to music everything has changed. There's a world out there that I didn't even know existed yet it is part of everything that I've ever known...After spending time patiently searching and listening to all kinds of music, from sludge metal to hardcore rap, finding the most creative ideas I've ever met, it all came to place...finally all the keys made sense...I see everything clear as the day is bright now. I can say that I'm Born Again. Meanwhile I watched some films, and they did nothing for me but keep me blind. Music freed me, books educated me, but I had to throw all my films away, because none was worth a niquel.

>video games
>art
lol video GAMES are just children entertainment like playing with legos or running around in the park

>video games
>art

Is playing golf "art"?

>implying ocarina of time is good

Are you retarded?

youtube.com/watch?v=hMmOg0xlkpo

Yes.

Switch film and music and this is spot on

THE FACT THAT OCARINA OF TIME

Ocarina of Time is one of the most overrated videogame. Good game its own right but not even the best Zelda game.

Shut up Arin.

Who?

what about vidya makes it not art

Film>Literature=Music=Visual Arts>Video Games

Anti-mimesis is the most beautiful art form.

Danny stop shilling for him. God damnit.

Music=Literature=Film=Video Games

The thing is games are only just starting to understand they CAN be art.

Even music has limits of cultural and language barriers.

What kind of emotion does this invoke in you?
youtu.be/AZo9ng8h4yQ?t=3m37s
Could you ever allow this to "properly express itself" without the context of the art? I would say not.

I see your definition of art relies on "evoking a reaction from any audience". You talk about the blind, but not about the deaf to say that music is art and not literature. This is just flawed semantics.

Art is that which is a human creation that reflects on the human condition in some shape or form.

If anyone wants to decide what is "high art" or "low art" or any for of hierarchical understand of art, it gets political.

>Silent Hill 2 is better than any of your shitty music or shitty movies.

Then explain this you dweeb

youtube.com/watch?v=HHU2eqCEJ4o

Literally too patrician for you.

art = entertainment

Because it's popular music?

Are you this down Sydrome?

LOL who the fuck are these people?

I think that most people enjoy music the most because nearly everyone has it, like most people couldn't sit down and come up for a plot to a film, but most people can easily come up with a rythm or a whistle a tune

Music was a mistake

>everyone has the ability to create art
no