Why do we even have bike lanes? cyclists never use them anyway

why do we even have bike lanes? cyclists never use them anyway.

Because fuck you, that's why. I punched a guys wing mirror off last week because he got too close to me and I'll do it again.

maybe if you'd take out the fucking earbuds you'd know when a car was approaching you, you entitled millenial asshat

Get a real job

whenever i see a clusterfuck of cyclists

>sorry, I sneezed

sometimes it's fun to go to the park and just throw sticks at cyclists. good clean free entertainment

If they were maintained and well laid out, fine. If not I am happy for people on bikes to ride on the road.

Most cycle lanes are really shit, though.

In kiwiland you have to keep a distance of 1.5m when passing a cyclist.

i wouldn't mind sharing the road. cyclists just assume it all belongs to them, tho

here (amerifag), it's like 3ft. which, ironically, is the size of a bike lane.

in a perfect world cyclists have enough room in their own lane, but nope, gotta ride on the road to make life more difficult for the "cagers". fuckin ducks

It's a pain in the ass. Lucky for me most riders here keep to the side of the road and in bike lanes if they are there.
It's just a few of those spandex wearing dickheads who ride around like they own the road, constantly breaking road rules.

That depends on the person. Plenty of people in cars do the same at with a much greater potential for serious incidents.

Most people fail to understand what peopkle on bikes are trying to do in some situations, though.
Riding in the primary position (central to the lane) has the purpose of preventing common shortcomings in driver awareness.
Example, when approaching a blind bend, a pinch point or when there are large oncoming vehicles that will limit room, The primary position is used to prevent other road users from attempting dangerous overtaking maneuvers (trying to overtake where there is not room or in a way that causes risk to other road users).

You would be amazed how many people in cars try to overtake a person on a bike in a ridiculous place only to be forced to pull back in, squeezing the rider against parked cars or kerbs, or forcing oncoming vehicles to slow and move over.

But some people on bikes are indeed dicks, failing to readopt secondary position (1m from the lane edge)

We have some single lane roads out where I live, and every Saturday morning it's the same asshole biking on one of those roads causing a back up. Cyclists are the bane of my existence.

it never fails, even when i try to be considerate, the cyclist is looking back, making faces, speeding up (unnecessarily) and generally being an asshole. it would be a breath of fresh air to have some experiences more in-line with what you both described
can relate, cyclists are dicks

That.....actually makes sense.

aint nobody got time for dat. i got places to be

I had a friend defending reckless riding by saying that a good cyclist will be able to avoid running into traffic but the way I see it, an inexperienced driver may be surprised by a sudden manoeuvre, swerve and cause a serious accident.

>cyclists are dicks

Nope, wrong attitude.

Some people who ride bikes are dicks.
Some people who drive are dicks.
Some people who walk are dicks.
Some people are just dicks, regardless of transportation choice.

That 'us v them mentality' does not help anyone.

The thing people often forget is that there is a real chance of being killed everytime you cycle on a road.
Something that would just scrape a bumper of a car would probably smear a bike rider into the tarmac.
They have good reason to be defensive.

No one has a good reason for being a dick, though.

Good thing I live in the civilized world AKA the Netherlands. Stupid burger lands without proper cycling lanes

i don't ride the roads like mad max. even when extending common courtesies most (if not all) cyclists confuse kindness for malice and react as such. here's a thought, not every vehicle on the road is being driven by a distracted 16-year old or almost dead 90 year-old

that's the bit i can't understand, most states/counties/cities/villages have bike lines that are perfectly fine. see attached pic

Think about it this way.

If all those people who rode bikes drove cars, you would all be complaining about more traffic jams and finding a parking spot.

looks like shit

no. most cyclists arent cycling to commute unless theyre a few counties north or south. everything is scattered as fuck and the majority of cyclists are out on the weekends, riding the most frequently traveled roads for "fun". it's like a game to these peckerheads

To be fair, replace those silly roadies with a tractor and trailer and the end result would be the same for you in terms of overtaking safely. But would a tractor make you as angry?

i have no beef with tractor trailer operators, as a whole. most are exceedingly safe and polite; often allowing me into traffic where a car or regular truck would not, getting over into the other lane to merge, actually acknowledging me when i flash my lights to allow them into my lane AND THEN flashing their hazard lights as a sign of gratitude. there are a few bad apples here and there, sure. but the asshole cyclists catch my attention far more, perhaps due to their inherent lack of basic manners and paying attention to what's going on around them.

See
It is just people, I am afraid.

'Accept that there are idiots in the world who do idiotic things and allow it to amuse you, rather than bring you to anger'

Looks Dutch, amirite?

filename - netherlands.

i think yes