So I think I have a problem Sup Forums

So I think I have a problem Sup Forums.

I just listened to this album and I thought it was really cool they used electronic instruments and made it sound glitchy and weird, but the only song I "got into" was Dsco, cause I liked the melody and the energy of that song.

I'm realizing that the only music that affects me is stuff that's catchy pop music and I can appreciate the artistry of deeper music but in the end it's just noise to me and I can barely even remember one album from another.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so how do I get into music that doesn't necessarily "sound good." I'm worried that I will never be able to really appreciate music as an art form even though it interests me.

some people are born with the ability to appreciate complex music and genuinely enjoy hearing it. it sounds like you just don't have it, OP. maybe try getting into a different artform or at least not posting on and cluttering up this board

just listen to it more you fucking sperg

just appreciate the music from moment to moment. there are plenty of more ambient albums I really like that I don't really remember a lot of specific parts from. but after listening to it a *lot* you'll definitely always remember some parts

you're not obligated to love this album in its entirety or even at all

It means your favorite genres are pop related. As long as you don't completely write off the 2deep4u stuff it's not a problem. Like honestly, music isn't a competition where the person with the most eclectic taste wins. Have fun dude and you can still appreciate catchy pop melodies as an art form.

Also the fact that you didn't list Chocolate Matter as a favorite tells me you probably checked out by the end. Try to not do anything while listening to music and focus completely on the music if you don't do so already. That might help with your problem.

Also listen to You Will Never Know Why

similar to how i felt after listening to this, though i don't view it as a problem or anything.

It's just that I feel like I'm not getting why people love the things on this board they love so much.

Like my favorite songs off of Kid A are The National Anthem and Optimistic and people say those songs are weak points a whole lot.

Chocolate Matter was OK but it wasn't as good to me as Dsco. It sounded like a poppier version of some of the shoegaze songs I've listened to. But I listened to it on the subway so maybe I need to listen to music in a more isolated environment.

Just listen to what you enjoy. You'll probably find that as you go along you'll get deeper and deeper into more "complex" music and enjoy it more.

But National Anthem is the best song off Kid A

Just listen to it again. The whole album is melodic.

I think your main issue is that you're not giving albums long enough to sink in. Especially with more challenging stuff, it takes several listens before you really start to "get" it and start to pick out specific sections and remember things. If something intrigues you on first listen, that's just the tip of the iceberg. Give it a while.

ur a fukn PLEB boii

Not op- but geniuine question:
Is there any reason to work on enjoying an album?
As a consumer of media, the burden of making the music likeable lies on the artist, and not the listener.
Would you say your enjoyment of music you have trained yourself to like it bigger?
How much of it comes from an elitist mindset?
I truly am interested in yawls opinions.

Start with Animal Collective, your taste will degenerate (or evolve depending how you look at it) from accessible pop melodies to progressively noisier, chaotic arrangements.

some stuff just takes a while to sink in. there's some bands that i love that just have 1 or 2 albums that immediately click with me while the others won't do anything at all for me, just based on production/mixing. it can be kinda weird with that stuff

anco is a good band that can open up your mind to more experimental stuff while remaining catchy if that's what you want

Like this guy said its just not your thing. Music taste is subjective, people never learn. You just can't like everything even if its praised by million people. I personally like whole VDC and I don't understand how you don't and this is proves my point. Also for example I can't stand drone doom but there are a lot of fans of this shit, I respect their choice. But I think music can be objectively bad. Explore, you'll find stuff that you like and don't fucking listen to an album only for one time.

It's not that I didn't like the album. I can tell objectively why people think the album is great, but I can't see beauty in it. Some other people above were mentioning AnCo as an entry level to other stuff. I listened to MPP earlier and a lot of the songs were like "yeah I see why this is a good song" but none of them had an impact on me like My Girls where I actually felt something listening to the melodies and notes they put together. It's sort of like some songs are just "good" and others actually make me move or nod my head to them.

Part of it is that I can't understand the lyrics to a lot of these more experimental albums. I'm just worried that I'm missing out on something really great because I've been conditioned to like pop music for my entire life.

consider this: if the artist makes it so that listening for lyrics is really hard, then are the lyrics really as important as other things going on?
Most shoegaze albums, the lyrics ain't important

you're literally a pleb, that's all there is to it

If you listen to it once and go "ok that was gross, there's no way I'm listening to this again" then just don't.
However after a first listening you think "hmm I didn't love it but I can tell there's something great going on" then that's when you relisten and "try harder" - which really just means don't distract yourself while listening.
For an example, the latter thought process happened to me with the Can trilogy. I didn't really like either Tago Mago or Ege Bamyasi and I thought Future Days was kinda cool but I didn't understand why or what about it was cool. So I listened to it a few more times, got into it, and revisited the other two, and ended up loving the super experimental tracks on Tago Mago despite not really liking them upon first listening.

I completely understand what you're saying. When you listen to another "masterpiece" you feel like every song besides one or two is just boring and you want to skip to the next one hoping it would be better. Nice thing is that you understand why it's a "masterpiece" and why people like it, I guess that means you have a good taste. But if you've listened to an album for two times and you don't want to come back to it just try the different one why torture yourself? But the actual good music clicks only after several times of listen and stick with you for a long time. All my favorite music sounded weird to me after first listen but I felt like i was going to listen to it again. Also condition and mood are playing a significant role in music perception.

It does sound good, you're just a fucking pleb cunt fuck you

>maybe I need to listen to music in a more isolated environment.
Definitely this. I thought this album was just alright until I listened to it in bed before falling asleep and I was able to hear so many things I didn't pick up on and appreciate it on a whole new level.

I basically said the same thing as this guy

How many times have you listened to MPP? Once?
What you're describing is pretty much exactly what I felt when I listened to certain albums for the first time. Just try listening to it again sometime.