What if we see colors differently?

what if we see colors differently?
what if my green is your purple?
or my blue is your red?

we can point at an object and say it's orange.
we can point at the sky and say it's blue.

but what if we really see colors differently?
and we call them the same.
and we are just so used to how things look, that we don't find them looking weird.

we cannot know for certain that we see the same colors as other people do. we just can't.
if you have a color palette, and ask 10 people to point at green. they all will. but will it look the same for all of them?`maybe not. we don't know that.

This is not a new concept. and it could have been aptly stated in about 2 sentences instead of a redundant wall of text

Eveything is a subjective opinion.
Move along.

Then how would color theory work? Mixing two colors would produce different results. How come we can pretty much universally apply adjectives such as cool or hot to colors?

OMG OP I WAS PHYLOING ABOUT THIS SHIT THEN I SAW THE THREAD I LOVE YOU

I work in a paint store. Please delete this thread and forget you ever said this. We definitely aren't hiding anything.

Nice speech there, Shel Silverstein

You didn't get the point.
Because we are all used to seeing the colors we see. It's all in our heads.
We call colors the same, but they might look different from what other people see.

It's difficult to explain it.
I see red as.... well, red.
And I see purple as purple.
But my red might look like your purple, and vice-versa.
And since we were born with the way of seeing those colors, it might appear completely normal to us.

Me: What color is the sky
You: Green
Me: No, its blue.

Thats how we would know.

It's actually what happens. Reality is a big mash up of perspectives.

But then again, your purple could be my red.
So saying my red is your purple would be the same thing.
We cannot know for certain how a coior looks like to another human being.

Who knows, one person might even see colors that others can't even imagine.
We cannot know. We simply can't.

We both would say it is blue.
But the other person's blue is your green.

It's been proven that everyone sees red and orange colors the same way. This has to do with the light receiving cells in the human eye. We know nothing about green or blue colors though.

Unless you actually become another person, you cannot know this 100% certainly.

>what is EEG

I know that I had a jacket which looked green to me, but to some other people it looked blue.

That's not what I'm talking about.

What I'm talking about is that your green jacket should be seen as green for everyone. But everyone's green might look different. But you should always agree it is the same color.

if everyone's green looked different they wouldnt agree to call it green

The word for this is "qualia"

As for "what if", the answer is "nothing changes and it doesn't matter"

You want to know how we know they look the same to everyone?

Colorblind people.

Colorblind people are people who see colors differently, for example what most people would call "red" a colorblind person might call "green".

And since it is established that they see colors differently than most people, then that must mean most people see colors the same way, otherwise it would be impossible for them to be seeing the wrong colors.

Checkm8.

Sense. You make none.

It's the whole point of this thread.
Everyone would agree it looks green, because your brain is so used to seeing your type of green. Which makes you think objects that are green looks perfectly normal, even though they look weird as fuck to me.

>it doesn't matter"

this , as long as you consistently see certain range of wavelengths as your 'green' it does not matter if your green looks like my red inside your head.

They can't make the difference between some colors, it's not the same thing.

HEYYYY, VSAUCE HERE!

thats why theres different shades of green. like light green, dark green, mint green, etc

Rhodopsin and such

Not the same thing as what?

Also I'm partially colorblind, so I know what I'm talking about. Nice try OP but your question got fucking answered.