ITT:

ITT:
Ask an on-shift IT Security Analyst II anything.
I'll answer some of you.

How is it? What do you do?

Can i do it? do you live on your own?

>How is it? What do you do?
I usually don't do much on Sunday nights. Just monitoring stuff looking for intrusions and going through bunches of false positive alerts on shit.

anything interesting happen while on the job?

What kind of software do you work with? IDS/IPS? enterprise antivirus software? etc...

>
>Can i do it? do you live on your own? yes I live on my own. and yes
it's not difficult work typically, there is a lot of responsibility associated with it. If you understand computer networking and the concepts. most of it is just reading up on the newest types of exploits and avoiding getting lazy looking at IDS and other sensors

all that sounds sweet as fuck dude. Do you have to make useless small talk?

>anything interesting happen while on the job?
we've had 3 or 4 DDoS attacks since I started here a few years back. I've been on shift for 2 of them. beyond that it's usually just dumbasses clicking links they shouldn't or ending up on landing pages for angler. lots of reimages

we run a mix of tools. rsa security analytics, splunk, 3 different IPS/IDS systems, fire eye, and a few other tools

nah fortunately at night I rarely have to interact with other employees. I work in an operations center so there are a dozen or so people in the room with me all monitoring different systems.

sounds like a good job user. yall hiring?

> (You)
> (You)
>sounds like a good job user. yall hiring?
nah we're fully staffed. if you're interested in learning about the stuff. there's plenty of material out there. just pick something and start reading. it helps to have a lab to play around with too.

I have been reading.

Do you security?

couldn't hurt to think about some certs if you're serious on it. if you're younger and looking to start out a career just keep trying. I had many interviews, I actually don't have any background in infosec. I was primarily routing and switching focused, I ended up taking this job after the manager made a good impression on me in the interview and Im actually pretty happy with it. it's interesting and there's always something new to learn.

nah I wait. then security

i cant afford certs

All a cert gonna say, is you don't know shit.

yeah I know that feeling. security certs are fuckin stupid expensive. look into some of the Cisco networking certs. I had my ccna when I started this job. they are like 150$ for the exam, and you can pirate the material to learn it. I never went to college and Im actually proud of that. I've got friends who went in lots of debt for a degree and they make less $ than I do.

I agree, but managers (the ones who do the hiring) seem to think they mean something. Most of the certified people I work with are dipshits.