twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

not in our lifetime so who cares

nah man
more like "move the room around you"
also known as warp

Physically impossible.
Pretty awesome though

faggot
the practical result is basically the same, you get to move in space in FTL speeds
we do not know that yet

We do know that. Look it up, dumbass.
Jesus Christ..

>we do not know that yet

Well, according to our current understanding of physics, nothing with mass may travel AT or ABOVE the speed of light.
Though maybe there's a way around it? I hope.

Anyway like I said, pretty cool

Yeah, I think I read something that said it would take all the energy in the universe to accelerate a particle up to light speed.

google that
pic relevant
know that we can or cant? also pic relevant, the theory is there but to be sure we have to advance enough to test it, so imho we still don't know

Our thoughts are faster than the speed of light

>implying we have enough knowledge to declare something like this as a certainty
>implying you're not actually just a retard

Topkek
>faster than lit travel requires the vessel to have no mass
>no mass nigga
>how
100% impossible all things considered, maybe with wormholes but no one knows half a shit about those anyways

nice thumbnail

>implying anyone will ever love you

True but something like the alcubierre drive allows FTL without violating any laws as no matter moves faster than light technecly.

In reality it simply moves space and the ship is pulled along with it but the ship dosnt really move at all within the local space time.

>259x194 image

>faster than lit
Holy shit my post got 420 really quickly, faster than light

But the universe is expanding faster than light speed.

It's the only way to, as it's said, avoid being content with being stranded in our own galaxy for a finite amount of time, "connected". Given we survive that long.

It's also an alleged gateway to some really interesting and frightening things that, for the most part, have only been "recreated" or "replicated" in terms of a light show with theory work behind it.

>one purported instance of faster than light travel requires the vessel to have no mass
FTFY

>thoughts
It's fast.

fuck you guys find a bigger yourselves, do i have to do everything in here?

Quantum entangeled electrons seems to react on the other electron if it turns faster then light can go the same distance

>some parts of the universe are expanding faster than the speed of light for the time being as far as we can tell
FTFY

THIS

Warp. You'll have to warp space and enter subspace to go at FTL speeds. Then you have transwarp, slipstream, etc. Going by what we currently know about Physics though, it'd seem impossible.

The key to FTL is not to move at all, move space around the ship, matter can't accelerate within normal spacetime but if you move a bubble of spacetime by expanding and contracting spacetime you can send a ship to destinations faster than light without moveing the ship at all.

Why aren't you outside playing with your pals, kiddo?
It's a lovely
>summer
day

Ivery been thinking about this recently, you know how the gravity of a black hole is so strong light can't escape? Maybe we can find some way to use massive amounts of gravity to our advantage
>pick related

Yes. the thing is that you dont move the spaceship at all. You create a bubble of spacetime around it and move the bubble. This has been done before. Someone created a warp field around an electron and moved it faster than light. Doing this with an actual space ship would require an inmense amound of energy, which we simply cannot generate yet.

>alcubierre drive

The Alcubierre drive relies on "exotic matter", which is something that has, in essence, negative mass, and because of that also moves backwards in time. So if you show me some backwards-in-time matter, I can show you a warp drive.

Not gonna happen.

Nice meme

Anyways
>implying ftl travel will be possible, ever
>implying by that time the human race still exists
>implying ftl will be invented

Subspace isn't real

However a concept of a warp drive does exist that dosnt need subspace.

>and time travel
I thought time couldn't go backwards tho.

Death. If not death, the supposed violation of causality and some backwards-ass shit.

I'm talking attempting to escape a black hole the size of 10,000 suns by going "FTL", and ending up in a random spatial coordinate in 860 A.D.

>subspace isn't real
How do you know?

Yes it can. Check out some videos on quantum mechanics

Indeed, so it's possible for matter to go faster than light speed, If galaxies are travelling away from us faster than the speed of light, and Galaxies are made from matter.

Please look up "negative energy" and the "casimir effect"

The original metric required exotic matter however newer ideas say you can use negative vaccume energy to achieve the same effect.

I saw that movie.

Wrong

No it can't
It can slow down it can't go backwards

That's what the do in futurama.

Look up "closed time like curves" time can go backwords

Subspace as in Star Trek subspace is as of right now fictional.

Are you retarded? Our thoughts are electrical impulses.

retard

On an athomic level time seems to go backwards

>Subspace isn't real
Subspace is theoretical so its possible, you retarted faggot.

Do you even realise what time is?

Technicly they are electro chemical and rely on chemical signals and ion flow, so they move much slower than electricity in a wire.

A nerve impulse for example only travels around 400 km/h or some shit.

Is that the same as anti matter?

>is as of right now fictional.
k

It's impossible according to Einsteins equation for how mass changes with velocity

Bc its the same thing. If the ship moves or the universe around it... same thing

But Einstein could be wrong.

The Casimir effect is negative *relative* vacuum energy, not absolutely negative. Not unless you're reading the crackpots that are overreading the experimental results.

No it doesnt

You know you can achieve FTL without moveing at all right?

Read the rest of the thread, it's impossible to accelerate faster than light or even to light speed but loopholes do exist.

Well, see, the problem is that it may not be impossible for matter to go faster than the discerned hard limit that any particle can travel (light speed). Exactly what is doing it, is up for debate still.

What isn't a great thing to do, is accelerate a shuttle with people inside to even fractions of light speed greater than the total amount of potential energy for the entire shuttle, plus people, as they are in their current forms. People and shuttles... aren't galaxy-sized. We'll behave differently, as a unit. For the time being, people are still being surprised about even gravity.

You will vaporize them, most likely. Bad end. It seems more agreeable to avoid speeding yourself up directly.

Well no, its something we experience wether its a 4th dimention or something else i have no clue

Until someone proves otherwise he is not wrong

Y'all don't even know about the proposed concept of spacetime.

Never going to happen. Longevity/robots+time is the way to go.

Dark matter. If we could polarise neutrinos as to get an intense enough beam of them, as to warp spacetime itself, propulsion manipulating fields would be possible rather than using dumb Newtonian rockets we have now

If u say so

Reprasing my wording its a possibility

>closed time like curves

No one has ever published a possible cosmology with CTC's in it that's consistent with observation.

And before you shout WORMHOLES, those have never been observed either. In fact, exotic matter was invented by Kip Thorne to show that an Einstein-Posen bridge (that is, a GR wormhole) could be stabilized by it. But exotic matter doesn't exist, wormholes don't exist, and there's no reason to believe in the existence of CTC either.

It's how humans comprehend the progression of things
>time isnt a thing
>if its not a thing it can't go backwards

[citation needed]

It's a verified phonamenam that shows negative energies can exists within space time.

Also

The Alcubierre drive us being toyed around with at the Johnson spaceflight center at NASA

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White–Juday_warp-field_interferometer

If it was 100% impossible you would think they wouldent waste their time.

a fucking football lol

I do... its the idea that time and space is one and the same....

>impossible according to Einsteins equation

You're relying on Special Relativity, not General Relativity, which is, as it says on the tin, more general.

Futurama isn't real faggot

so much shit that faggots like you called impossible has been proven possible given enough time and advancements in technology. We just have to wait.

Warm holes probably do exist at the quantam foam level but they are very small and short lived.

CTCs are still a valid idea that's being looked into and we don't know if exotic matter exists or not, but we do know negative energies exist.

vocaroo.com/i/s0nEULuBxDpd

The first 4 or so seasons had alot of crew with education in fysics

>but loopholes do exist
>loopholes
>loopholes in reality
>implying
Do you think this is a video game or something?

>verified phonamenam that shows negative energies can exists

Yes, energies that are relative to some positive ground state energy, not negative in any particular sense. You're confused by the accounting rules, along with a shitload of bullshit artists and their gullible followers.

>it was 100% impossible you would think they wouldent waste their time

So now you're going to start arguing from authority? Way to demean yourself.

You cant use that to carry any information...

>We just have to wait.

You wait. I'll move on with my life and not concern myself with things that there's no evidence of, like CTC and God.

I know but Futuramas explination is acualy how the Alcubierre drive theoretical works.

>we do know negative energies exist.

You keep saying that. I don't think you know what those words mean.

They dont move faster than speed of light really, its just that space is being created between us and them that makes them seem like they are going that fast

Warm holes exist. Babies confirmed time-traveling billiard balls that knocked the previous sperm off course.

I was just following the thread, and I had high hopes until I read this.

Did you seriously just equate CTCs with the formal, conventional concept of a monotheistic deity?

Still, its something that is faster then light

i meant it as "wait and let the actual science-fags do their work"
also you are already concerned or you wouldn't be ITT :^)

>theoretical
Key word

>Did you seriously just equate CTCs with the formal, conventional concept of a monotheistic deity?

I think that people that believe in either are equally as fucked in their metaphysical beliefs. Believing in something that you have no evidence for, but only nice words of speculation, are just as much believers, with all the negative connotations you care to muster about the other team.

No but the loophole is this

You cannon accelerate matter faster than the speed of light, but you can manipulate the fabric of space time, by expanding space behind a ship and contracting it infront you can have matter pulled seemingly faster than light without haveing it technecly move at all.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

A loophole in physics is finding a way around a problem without violating a physical law not finding a glitch in the matrix.

Warms my heart

>egball
ftfy

This is gold

Oh so you think the people who know more than you and have advanced degrees are wrong because you say so?

>NASA is working on something
>I know more than them and they are wrong

I see you are probably the kind of person who thinks peer review means takeing a vote and that science is a scam.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_energy

I thought nothing was ever absoulutly still or absoulutly moving

They are not the same.
It means altering either one will alter the other