What was /mu like when you first started coming here...

What was /mu like when you first started coming here? I've only been on here a few years so for me it was pretty much the same as far as I remember

i'm sure it's got worse in the past two years. idk maybe it's just because there hasn't been really any good music recently, so there isn't really much to post

There is literally 70 years of good music are you retarded?

started browsing around 2007.
on and off until late 2009.
started browsing around july of this year again.
nothing has changed.
memes are slightly different.
but mostly the same.
there was no kpop general back in the day.
no Grimes retardation.
but there was other retardation.
Sup Forumstards were busy masturbating over Joanna Newsom instead.
same garbage, new face.

I started coming here during that emo-revival-LeHigh-Valley period, so around summer of 2009. I was really into Bloc Party, and Foals. And visual kei. It was pretty gay. 8 dicks a day gay.

There was less retardation, way more share threads, and TND hadn't popped off, so no Fantano to be seen. Other certain online music reviewers got mentioned a lot less.. The concept of Sup Forumscore hadn't fully gestated, that started shortly after MBDTF I believe, along with all of the other lame things about this board, and Sup Forums in general. Anonymity and smartphones are a bad combination, it really brings out the worst in people a lot of the time.

Sup Forums got me into lots of good music, but I found the truly good shit when I stopped caring about the board consensus and started listening to stuff I liked. It was a nice jump start.

Wow, it's been 7 years.

Started here early 2012, right before The Money Store
Thought it was a piece of shit, still think it's a piece of shit.
>tfw hype for new My Bloody Valentine and first Godspeed record in a decade was amazing
I left probably two years ago, just started coming back
I can't fathom that two years later, there's still a kpop general on the homepage every time I refresh.
I was reading pic related as it was happening, probably my favorite memory of this place.

Been browsing fairly regularly since 2008. My honest opinion is that the board has mostly improved. That's not a popular opinion, but the board has definitely become more diverse, which I think is a good thing.

There's a lot more rap than there used to be and a lot more pop. People complain about that, but back in the day it used to be all like "ILLMATIC IS TEH GREATEST RAP THERE WILL EVER BE" and "MF DOOM IS EPIC OMG"

--and everyone refused to listen anything mainstream. There was a lot of right answer syndrome. If you tried to say Genesis was better than King Crimson, people would call you an idiot. If you tried to say Genesis's best album wasn't Selling England By the Pound, people would call you an idiot. If you admitted to liking any pop, people would call you an idiot.

CLT used to rep Kesha, but people called him an idiot all the time for that. NO ONE was down with ANY POP AT ALL.

Basically everyone was a ridiculous over-the-top how-obscure-can-I-be tryhard. Everyone listened to Hospice and cried on a weekly basis. Everyone worshipped tripfags. CLT, Hampus... these guys had a fan following. There were threads everyday of people ranking their favorite tripfags.

I remember that house music was big at the time, and Sup Forums was actually pretty behind-the-ball on basically every new release. It took Sup Forums months to discover Justice, and once they did, it was like Ed Banger was the only house music that existed.

If you wanted to find real current house releases, you had to follow like 6 or 7 blogs.

These days, the board is a little slower, but there's so much less shit. Also, the board tends to be pretty current with music trends, so that's nice. There's certainly a lot more different opinions and a lot less tripfaggotry. I like the board more now than ever.

>there was no kpop general back in the day.
Yes there was. It was only gone briefly in I think 2010, ish, when they were on some other board instead.
>Sup Forumstards were busy masturbating over Joanna Newsom instead.
That's pretty recent. No one listened to Newsom in 2010 and before.

there were at least 10+ different trips

in every single fucking thread

for no reason

most of them left in 2013

MBDTF was this board's 9/11

So you think talking about more pop music is an improvement? I''d be interested to hear why. Not that I don't think there are interesting discussions to be had about pop music but I've always kind of thought part of the appeal of /mu was that it wasn't quite so slanted in favor of popular mainstream and accessible music as other similar online forums for discussing music

>The concept of Sup Forumscore hadn't fully gestated, that started shortly after MBDTF I believe
No, it was definitely set. The ol' Sup Forumscore chart "bona fide entry level hipster" is from 2008.

>-and everyone refused to listen anything mainstream.
Not really until 2010 or 2011 or so.

>There was a lot of right answer syndrome. If you tried to say Genesis was better than King Crimson, people would call you an idiot. If you tried to say Genesis's best album wasn't Selling England By the Pound, people would call you an idiot.
This is correct.

>CLT used to rep Kesha,
2011-2012

>Basically everyone was a ridiculous over-the-top how-obscure-can-I-be tryhard. Everyone listened to Hospice and cried on a weekly basis. Everyone worshipped tripfags. CLT, Hampus... these guys had a fan following. There were threads everyday of people ranking their favorite tripfags.
Also 2011-2012. Or well, tripfag circlejerks were super common already in 2008-2009, but me and CLT not so much.

>I remember that house music was big at the time, and Sup Forums was actually pretty behind-the-ball on basically every new release. It took Sup Forums months to discover Justice, and once they did, it was like Ed Banger was the only house music that existed.
Not really, Cross was really popular, it's even on the 2008 Sup Forumscore chart IIRC.

>These days, the board is a little slower, but there's so much less shit.
Are you high? The board is way, way fast these days. The post rate is probably ten times higher than it was in 2010.

Interesting story. Do you remember how people talked about Grimes, when she was first posted here and how the Grimes posters were treated then?

grimes threads used to be funny as fuck, now it's just a few butthurt anons insisting people take her seriously

they're completely missing the point

>grimes threads used to be funny as fuck
Let me guess: people made fun of her, undisturbed. Am I right?

She's now a pretty big deal, no more talking shit about her allowed.

I'm sure this is just a result of being relatively new to this site (only been here a few years) but I really can't make heads or tails of all the threads that are just pictures of female musicians with cryptic captions. Like are they all self aware jokes? or completely unironic and creepy worship of these girls? or somewhere in between?

Let me tell you how it was back in the days.

Sup Forums boards were segregated by subdomains. You couldn't just type in Sup Forums.org/mu, like you do today. You'd have to go to subdomain.Sup Forums.org/boards/mu/. I don't actually remember the subdomain names, it's been so long. I think this was changed in maybe, I dunno, 2007-2008, something like that? I started browsing Sup Forums in 2006, and started progressing toward Sup Forums more and more in 2008-ish.

Sup Forums was a fucking cesspool of circlejerking back in the day. It still is, but it used to be as well. There were a few select albums that would get posted continuously, after they received a lot of hype on release. MPP and Hospice are the worst offenders, apart from ITAOTS. Whenever you went to Sup Forums, there would literally be 3-4 threads on the front page that was JUST THE ALBUM COVER and nothing more. That's what Sup Forums was like back then.

You might have heard of the old tale known as "the indie vs metal war", and it's mostly bullshit. There wasn't a war, but before 2008-2009, Sup Forums wasn't an indie board, but there was a lot of metal posted. Dragonforce was a meme. Then it progressed more and more to indie music. This is when the unwarranted elitism got ramped up enormously, and the "right-answerism" really took off. There were a handful of album which you HAD to know, and you should LIKE most of them as well, otherwise you didn't really belong on Sup Forums.

Tripfag circlejerks were everywhere. Not just tripfags posting and talking, but literal threads dedicated to ranking tripfags of the board. The Tourist and CooItop ran rampant and shitposted everywhere. Captain Kirk had a massive nose. Dragontatoo, I think the name was, was (not) a girl. Good times were had. 2010-2012 were probably the peak of worship/notoriety. Not because we were smart or had good taste or anything, but because we'd shitpost fucking everywhere. I swear, I posted in almost every thread throughout the entirety of 2011 and 2012.

how the fuck can you retarfds say it hasn't changed

all the mediafires are gone. the sharethreads are dead in this weird way, mediafire dead dude. they cleaned it up. changed the site mostly.

Started browsing in 2008. Metal had a bigger presence, there were regular "indie vs metal" discussions.

The first big "event" I remember was MPP leaking early, right around Christmas '08.

>No, it was definitely set. The ol' Sup Forumscore chart "bona fide entry level hipster" is from 2008.
I agree there was "Sup Forumscore," but I don't remember the charts until a couple years later. You have any proof?

>2010

Indie vs Meal war
Unironic Lady Gaga threads
A handful of really annoying tripfags
Birth of Skrillex brostep meme
ITAOTS was spammed everywhere
Very few hip hop threads until the MBDTF P4K 10.0 shitstorm

In 2012, janitorgate happened and the fun was over. Lots of people got banned and blocked from posting right and left. My glorious trip (!BIOTROLLTM) was banned forever, and I think it still auto-bans you if you try to use it. After MBDTF in 2010, hip hop was getting more popular, and that peaked in 2012 with The Money Store. We're still seeing the aftershocks of that.

No proof, I just know it. It was made by Sup Forums-tang Clan the tripfag in 2008. Don't remember the albums on it, though. Here's a newer chart that looks sort of similar, with the same image and text at the bottom. It had fewer albums (no metal and electronic section IIRC), and the text was less well placed.

Indie vs metal discussions really weren't as huge as people make them out to be.

>Unironic Lady Gaga threads
This is true. She was "the queen of pop" for quite a while.

Sharing pictures with female artists. If you're a straight dude you should be attracted by females. And what is more atractive than a beautiful female artist? It's about the aesthetic of both image and music.

been here since late 2009 but the last 7 years have honestly been a blur to me so idk

What a great contribution to the thread.

And by the way, don't forget you're on an IMAGE board. Sharing pictures is one of the defining features of these boards. It's stated right on the first page:
>Sup Forums is a simple image-based bulletin board where anyone can post comments and share images.

If you want to discuss only music, you're out of luck.

I just started coming here last year, and somehow it's manage to get drastically shit in such a short period of time.

Yeah I suppose that makes sense I'm just unsure what to take at face value and what is just a joke I don't get sometimes

this board is literally indistinguishable to how it was in 2015. you just started paying attention

I started coming here in about 2010. Still people who act the same, but with a different face. The Sup Forums essentials list used to be really important to everyone on here. Anyone talking about kpop or jpop was made fun of until they left. People used to really love Animal Collective. ITAOTS used to be spammed on the board daily. Lots of tripfags. No one liked any sort of house or techno, if they did they were basic.

People used to really love Wavves and Merchant Ships. For a brief period people were obsessed with This Binary Universe. Not as many categories for posts, people just made new threads for albums they wanted to talk about. Lots of sharethreads. People used to genuinely take Fantano and p4k seriously for a while.

Everything is a joke.

THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BESTTHE BEST THE BEST

>No proof, I just know it.
That means you're talking out of your ass. There are archives that go that far back (and further), so if you're not just making things up to sound authoritative, there should be something there.

>Indie vs metal discussions really weren't as huge as people make them out to be.
I wasn't claiming they were, they were simply a bigger thing than they are now. That kind of adversarial stance is non-existent these days. Stop being so antagonistic.

I started around Feb 2011, was here for a couple years, left for a couple years, and started coming back a few months ago.
Honestly the biggest difference is the prevalence of general threads

It's kind of impossible to tell at this point.
There are a lot of people who are totally genuine in their creepy obsession and vehement defense at any inkling of an insult.
Then some of them are shitposters of course, and some probably are a little more innocent and just like Grimes but aren't turbo-autists about it. I'm afraid that the turbo-autist crowd is either fairly significant or significantly vocal unfortunately.

>There are archives that go that far back (and further)
The old archive is down as far as I know, and that also didn't go back to before 2009 or so.

Is it a drum or a potato?

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as “the greatest or most significant or most influential” rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

P4K hadn't yet been discredited, still giving buzzbands 8.3s and whatnot and boosting their profiles
Odd Future was disturbingly popular
So was metal of all types, not just the shugaziest black metal
Antwan Fantwan was but a rising star

Yeah people actually loved OFWGKTA on here. People only jumped off the train when Goblin came out.

It'd be pretty funny if it turned out everything ever posted in a kpop general thread was a self aware joke all along

I think you're right about them being down, but there were definitely archives going back further than that. Nominating threads for archival was pretty much always a thing I remember.

>indie vs meal
I miss those days

tell me the legendary days on /mu when MBDTF dropped

can someone explain that kpop thing to me?

I'd been looking for this story! I still have the little song he made saved.

I agree. Ive been browsing for about 4 years or so and the board actually is pretty devoid of cancerous memers right now. People are getting away from groupthink and only newfags are still pushing Sup Forumscore because they think its the thing to do. However, I think the board is kind of less fun. I liked the variety of actual music discussion and a good amount of vapid shit.

Well, these newtrips seem to rely more on taste than actual personality now. I don't think there's a single trip I like from 2013+

can somebody tell me if james dean still posts selly-ester watts field or if that one dude still posts kt cat (aka tubba blubba)? i accidentally pretty much stopped browsing Sup Forums for the past 6 months or so and Im now realizing I miss it

>if that one dude still posts kt cat (aka tubba blubba)?
yup, he's still around, but he avatars phil spector too

As I said in another post somewhere. I started browsing Sup Forums in early 2011. I was aware of Sup Forums and this board around 2008, but didn't really care for it, since I was a "regular" in another music forum, which is now fucking dead.

Once I started lurking and posting in here five years ago, there was this certain "charm" that I don't see anymore. There was no post-ironic shitposting, vaporwave popularity started to rise, feels threads everywhere and stuff like that.

I remember there used to be a lot of elitism too.

This.

>tfw when you will never call Hampus a faggot again

you have the opportunity to do it in this thread, right now, you do realize...

>There were threads everyday of people ranking their favorite tripfags.

>70 years
your pleb is showing, son

been here on and off since 2007, was on here the most in 2011

>tripfag circlejerks constantly
>dubs threads would be up for hours with no janitor attention
>no janitors in general
>Burzday
>a lot more metal and industrial threads in general
>no generals
>sharethreads were beautiful
>gorespammer

The board's a lot more 'stable' now. There was a lot more quality discussion and sharing way back when but there was also an INSANE amount of shitposting

aside from the tripfag circle jerking part that sounds really fun.

Different person here but I think 70 years covers a vast majority of recorded music that is still around and readily available today

I'm not talking about some namefag, faggot

>>dubs threads would be up for hours with no janitor attention
this still happens, as long as you make the OP on-topic. jannies only give a shit about the OP post

I came here a lot from 2010-2011, dropped off in 2013 when the board quality just really started to decline. I still browse semi-regularly.

The thing I remember most fondly were the share threads back then. Then The Pope started shitting up the board with feel threads and it went downhill from there.

I remember hospice still being relevant and zach hill just being the guy from hella for most people (math rock wasnt even popular here) snowing and dads were a big deal for a minute and even japandroids had a moment. For some reason i dont remember mbdtf being that big of a shitfest like people say. Seapunk and witchouse seemed interesting but the following was unwelcoming, snobbish trendy kids plus most of the music was shite. Tripfag culture was more prelevant but i mostly ignored them anyway, still biotroll and i think cooltop had some great recs occasionally. Memerap changed from mf doom being the most overrated thing to trap and mumblerap dominance in like 2013ish.

A lot busier. It's really died down over the last year.

I came in spring 2012. The Sup Forumscore was slightly different. Scaruffi was posted a lot more often. Meme rap was starting to get popular. Tripfaggotry was huge. Like another guy said there were daily threads ranking tripfags by tier. There were a few tripfags like Hampus and the Lazarus that constantly trolled.
>tfw i lost my 2012-era Sup Forumsmes folder

I miss Lazare.

are you saying that hampus's trip is compromised?

2009 - 2012 was Sup Forums - animal collective

2012 signified the end of indie vs metal on Sup Forums and the advent of meme rap

then in 2014 the poptimists and demarcofans came

now it's all top 40 pop rap and its legitimate cringe

meme rap was a huge problem here a few years ago

Yeah, nominating threads for archival was a thing since before 2008, but it was very seldom threads from Sup Forums actually got archived since those archives weren't board specific.

>There was no post-ironic shitposting
Yes, there was. That started in early 2011. If you didn't see it it was because you were new and didn't know what was ironic and what was not.

It's amazing how many people post in this thread who clearly never browsed before 2014 (You).

No kpop cancer,people actually talked about good music before scaruffi became hated for some reason,sharethreads were always up

Remember gothspammer?this pic is sure to give you hardcore PTSD if you remember

The quality Sup Forums has now is so fucking bottom of the barrel low I got to miss the "the fact the beatles..."copypasta spammers,gothspammer and gorespammer,even the faggots that constantly talked about pitchfork vs scaruffi and the fantano memethreads

tripfag worship has been replaced with reviewer worship, i.e. fantano, christgau, scaruffi,p4k etc

>scaruffi became hated for some reason
What is up with that? You literally can't have decent taste in prog without some amount of scaruffi overlap/droning.

>decent taste'
>prog
hehe

I had already heard half of the albums in the patriciancore chart when I came here in 2011. I couldn't help but be absorbed in the "culture" because other people seemed to have similar interests to me but they were mostly meming kids. I stopped coming in 2014 everyday. I come by every once in a while, mostly to laugh at Grimes threads but things seem to have chilled out a little.

Scaruffi-core seems to be less prevalent. He's still around and discussed pretty often, but the albums that are pretty uniquely Scaruffi-core don't appear in chart threads as much.

Think Exuma and Aphrodite's Child.

The board dipped in quality very suddenly in 2015 for like 6 months.

When I came to Sup Forums in 2007 it was filled with hipster WoW players whose parents had too much money and they were an only child. Lots of heavy metal and power-metal posting, both ironic and unironic, and lots and lots of emphasis on discussing instruments or very very niche music. Pop was regularly laughed out, and k-pop posting was twice as bad as it is now.

I have been here for 9 years though, the shit has all blurred together. Each year is always worse than the last, though.

>mostly to laugh at Grimes threads
The Grimes threads are unironically the most entertaining things on Sup Forums.

>Each year is always worse than the last, though.

I've been on Sup Forums since the mid-early 2000s. I love that people think it's ever been any different.

no you havent lmao

I was here in 2011 and I remember the vibe of the board being a lot friendlier and more social. More sharethreads, better recommendations.

>2010
>I love Jesus Christ are the first five threads nearly everyday
>Tripfag circle jerk was so strong they effectively had general threads for solely themselves, (i.e. Cassandra Gemini, The Tourist, rawr:3, Niggerman420, Jack Gyllenhaal etc.)
>Cosmogramma was album of the year
>Post picture of yourself and what you're listening to was a popular thread during the latter half of the year
>Last.fm rate threads were at an all time high
>Daily sharethreads of a various genres in decent to high quality

Overall, it was a bad time

reviewers are just IRL tripfags

That's because it's one of the a few places around here where people feel free to actually view music as a fun, enjoyable form of entertainment.