I want to know that Sup Forums thinks of pic related. I can't make up my mind on whether I love it or hate it...

I want to know that Sup Forums thinks of pic related. I can't make up my mind on whether I love it or hate it. They have so many good ideas, but they also have so many bad ideas. It sounds like a bizarre cross of Interpol and Melody's Echo Chamber, but with a bunch of other shit happening too. There's moments when they sound like a legitimate, innovative group, and other times where it sounds completely juvenile. What do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UgGQ73Gv6f4
youtube.com/watch?v=dR_Zp3iZ2hQ
youtube.com/watch?v=gEqBsH-cejA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

everytime you listen remember Will made it all by himself with essentially no equipment and only his laptop mic
it genuinely makes it more enjoyable for me

what are these bad ideas your referring to?

it's 10/10 senpai
I think this is my fav cshr song tho
youtube.com/watch?v=UgGQ73Gv6f4

Sadly I don't really like anything after teens of style, why you do this will?

i agree with mrcummy

your not a fan of the new album? i think its his only effort to match twin fantasy since

Instant classic. The talking parts are a bit pretentious. I love how his guitar sounds, and it has a great and somewhat unique style. One of those albums where clear influences have created something good and original.

Also this, he releases under Car Seat Headrest because hes so beta he recorded the vocals for his first album in his car for privacy.

It's Fucking trash bro

My Boy is secretly the best track.

It sounded too well produced, it doesn't sound like a bedroom project anymore which is what I really liked about it.
It just sounds like typical indie rock now senpai ;-;

>There are people who think anything in that album even compares to Beach Life in Death

This is news to me

The Album is a personal favorite of mine
BLID = Famous Prophets

The sampling of his voice at various spots throughout the album, among other things. I can definitely see where it would work, but it's placed in a way that contributes little to the music itself. It's kinda just there to be there.

Also, I see little to no redeeming quality about the little spoken-word expositions. They just seem childish and unnecessary. Yet, for every thing I can point out about this album that's absolute shit, there's something that's outstanding, including his songwriting and composition. His songwriting and composing abilities are on par with many Sup Forums-core artists.

>Interpol and Melody's Echo Chamber
I think half of the things you pin on this album have to do with a lack of experience with lo-fi pop. Try Guided By Voices and Eric's Trip and come back later. Will's take on that sound is really unique and not necessarily juvenile at all in my opinion.

Yeah I hear more modest mouse and sonic youth/sonic youth ripoff bands influence

He also has that whole part about the guys from TMBG, I can definitely hear them too, or at least a bit of their eclecticism

id agree completely
its just a fucking great indie rock album
every song is fantastic

what do you mean by the sampling his voice?
you mean where he copys his voice over and over and stuff?

i find those parts very enjoyable
i can see how theyd come across as pretentious tho

TF is his only good release
everything recently has been trash
rather listen to alex g

I dont want to go insane, i dont want to have schitzophrenia

OP here, again

I used to listen to a decent amount of lo-fi pop, but I've kinda moved away from it over the last couple years. I'd agree it's unique, and the sampling stuff isn't always bad (see: layered screaming) but it's not consistently good, either. Maybe I've been listening to too much art rock and post rock lately, but it seems like he can make music that's as stylistically advanced as what often comes out of the top of those two genres (see: Beach Life In Death), yet at times it seems like he kinda just chooses not to.

Also, maybe Interpol wasn't a super accurate characterization. But, seriously, tell me Bodys doesn't sound like a low-quality rip of something you'd find on a Strokes album. Not saying that's bad. If anything, it shows he's inspired, and the fact that my statement could be argued against shows that the entire concept for the song isn't just stolen from another group.

This is me, by the way

I do hear the Strokes guitar tone on this album but Bodies as a song is really different from what The Strokes could do as songwriters. The structure with the shifting verses and choruses and the slowly rising tension to the climax are really great and the whole melody and lyrical style remind me more of Wolf Parade. I think that TF doesn't have to be that original, it just works great as a collection of songs. I just appreciate a greatly written pop song so the shorter songs maybe pack more of a punch to me than they do for you. Definitely check out The Gun Song and Souls from his Bandcamp, they're probably what you're looking for.

I just realized that I wrote the word great like 10 times, sorry I'm drunk.

OP's back again.

Will do, thanks m8. I think it's good overall, but it could be excellent without some of the strange moments that seem to plague it.

I

>Strange moments

Lol you need to listen to more music if anything in TF sounds strange

I meant strange as in "relatively shitty." Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

there's nothing wrong with appearing juvenile, it fits completely into the a e s t h e t i c of this thing

I love some guitar parts: for some reasons they reminds me Sonic Youth and Television
>Beach Life-in-Death
Not so fan when it's too chaotic.

>will do

Oh well yeah the spoken parts are kinda shitty parts, don't add much to the album and his monolog about galvanism borders on cringey

>Fall-fallen in love with
I like that part though

This and Atrocity Exhibition should be Sup Forums-core. We need to improve that list.

I think it's a super important album, considering the quality of the recording achieved with very basic equipment, and the powerful expressionism.

I think I agree about the spoken word expositions leaving something to be desired, but for context he started making lo-fi music to help those with mental disorders. He recorded the early works in the backseat of his car, anxious of the world, scared like a lot of that demographic. So the spoken word is him and them, in the backseat, closed off from anyone else, listening to the musings of some white middle class teenager who's just like them.

DON'T

It's not impossible! Sweet Trip became Sup Forums-core through popular demand. It was never critically acclaimed and probably didn't sell very many copies, and it's not "funny" music. Yet it's still Sup Forums-core.

TF>TofD>MBIKMB>How to Leave Town=Monomaina>ToS

i feel like my opinion is the only correct one

WANT

I definitely agree. How to Leave Town might be on par with MBIKMB for me, but that's cause emotions and shit I dunno bro.

True

where would you place nervous young man
just getting into it
>tfw getting haunted

The cover is a cringefest. No way I'm putting that near my phone.

supposedly he updated mixes/endings on how to leave town last week, thoughts?

i cant imagine how the mixes could be better
i guess well have to wait and see

my TF tshirt should be arriving tomorrow lads

TO

i only checked out beast monster thing, but the mix is way different, and he added a few things to it as well. i liked the extra stuff, but i didn't like the mixing as much as the original.

>Teens of Style that low
>Teens of Denial that high

Do you have a link? Can't find any

Teens of Denial is pretty fucking shit.
The mainstream music community is praising it to heavens only because they can now that he's signed to Matador.
Now look, look and see a world suck the washed up dick of a once-was man because of his mediocre, mass-appealing easy listening bullshit, yet completely ignore his earlier records that were so full of talent and vigour, that had enough brains to be original an d enough heart to be sincere. Watch as the world shuns away what the media won't praise. What once deserved all the attention Will is receiving now.

He fucking sold out at the worst time. His songwriting has become soulless, the melodies are boring as fuck, and the only people this record will impress are teenagers who haven't listened to Pavement and all the copycats that came before in the 90's.

My Back is Killing Me Baby and Twin Fantasy were fucking fantastic. They were actually interesting and are infinitely more deserving of adoration than this twee rock, vapid tumblr teen shit.

It is fucking shit and anyone who disagrees simply doesn't know better.
Will Barnes you can go to hell.
Oh well I guess now I don't have to give a shit anymore.

Cate was always the better one of the two anyways.

This fucking this, I couldn't even finish the album

This is why I love these demos with all my heart:

youtube.com/watch?v=dR_Zp3iZ2hQ

youtube.com/watch?v=gEqBsH-cejA

I couldn't have said it better.

copypasta/10
ToD is as good as his previous releases (his songwriting didn't changed), but it's better produced. Which is insufferable for try-hard "patricians" like you and I bet you both buy cassettes.

It's a pasta (but a good one).

See this () if your main problem with ToD is the production

I don't give two shits about "muh lo fi aesthetic", ToD is absolute utter irredeemable shit either way, bland songwriting as bland as it gets

it's just the album on his bandcamp. he replaced the old ones.

There are moments on each song that are just next level. Prophets and beach have the most but my boy and stop smoking are each like one big next level moment.