Everyone says this is the best jazz album ever

>Everyone says this is the best jazz album ever
>Probably not even in my top 15 Coltrane albums

So am I hipster, or does no one care about most of his discography (which is amazing)? Both is an acceptable answer. Also, general Coltrane discussion, if you want it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UhxjQDhz8Y8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What would you say his best is then?

I like My Favorite Things

Because most of Sup Forums have listened to only the top 20 albums on RYM for all 100 years of jazz, if that

Maybe this.

go away

Yea, you're just a hipster. This album is incredible and a turning point in Coltrane's music. That being said, pic related is my favorite. period

That's a rockist album by a rockist artist enjoyed by rockists in a rockist club. If you like jazz, of course you'd rank this lower than the rest.

>he dismiss incredible jazz records because Sup Forums told you there's such thing as a 'rockist' album
gosh, i hate this place so much. you seem like you listen to music for its image rather for its sound

Most Jazz musicians I know are far more into A Love Supreme than Coltrane's freer albums. These are people who have encyclopedic collections of jazz music.

It's not even "incredible". You think that because it's one of 5 jazz albums you have ever heard, because you spend most of your time listening to rock music, because you're a rockist.

there again making wrong assumptions. Jazz is like 90% of what i listen to. You're just a edgy kid who thinks is cool to hate on a great record because people who don't listen to jazz like it too.

"no"

This.

Most people who doesn't listen to jazz think this album is really out there but still listenable and really intense. The crazier stuff in his discog sounds like noise to normal people.

the free jazz stuff he did was shit, i totally understand mccoy tyner's decision to leave the band at that point.

jazz culminated in modal jazz

I seriously know zero jazz musicians who have even listened to Coltrane's out there stuff. They're all into his earlier stuff.

because jazz musicians know whats up.

dude i guarantee if they have any interest in jazz they've at least listened to ascension or some of coltrane's earlier free jazz stuff. it's super popular

whether they like it or not is a different story

i prefer miles' foray into jazz fusion

For a moment I forgot how jaded everyone is on mu. Thanks for reminding me about it in this thread.

Many Artists have released better albums in their catalog. Coltrane was the face, not the biggest talent.

Mingus
Komeda
Sun Ra
Miles
Eric Dolphy
Kamasi Washington
Mahatishvu Orchestra
Matana Roberts

I really don't know if Coltrane is better than any of these

>Kamasi Washington

*post bop

Option three: people like different things.

Of the Coltrane albums I've heard I think I like Giant Steps the best, followed closely by JCQ Plays and Olé, but you've got to appreciate the cohesiveness and vision of ALS surely?

I can lie on the internet too.
"A Love Supreme is a great album."

Mingus has some great stuff, but BSATSL is definitely the best. By the way, listen to this: it's underrated.

>Kamasi Washington

damn you got me lmao

>person who doesn't know shit about jazz telling other people about jazz.
Never change, Sup Forums

I like free jazz like the next guy, but just because something is avant-garde, doesn't make it automatically better than more accessable shit.

I like Olé or Ascension more desu.

>just because something is avant-garde, doesn't make it automatically better than more accessable shit.
those edgy kids on Sup Forums will never get that. Maybe 10 years from now and they'd be able to think by themselves.

that's subject to so many variables though like who is listening to the music being one and what the experience of that person is in relation to the music
If you play the music and are going through records looking for information and really vibe with the out-there stuff more then to you as a listener have taken something out of it therefore "making it better" in their point of view.

compared to someone who knows a little bit about music and was raised with radio rock and is hearing jazz for the first time.

Yeah idk man I've listened to a good chunk of Coltrane's discography and this one is still probably one my favorites and not putting it in your top 15 at least seems to point to you having a pretty severe case of contrarianism. I'm sorry you had to find out like this

Wait does Coltrane have more than 15 albums?

one day i decided to listen to jazz so i found out that john coltrane was important and i actually really like this album. is this pleb taste? how do i into more jazz like this?

amazing album imo

even if it's far from being my favourite

youtube.com/watch?v=UhxjQDhz8Y8

discuss

Listen to more stuff he did with McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones. Listen to more stuff those guys did on their own dates or with other people.

Jazz (especially 50's - 70's jazz) is easy to get into because everyone played with everyone. If you hear some playing you like then look up more by that person from around that point in their career.

you know I was thinking the same to myself.

this place makes me groan. I would leave if I weren't so self loathing.

It's fine to say that A Love Supreme isn't your favorite album.
It's fine to say that he has other great albums, especially ones people haven't discovered.
But trying so hard that you claim that it's not even Top 15 for Coltrane is literally one of the clinical indicators of Down Syndrome. You may want to get that checked out.