Is it normal to outgrow metal between ages of 18-21?

Is it normal to outgrow metal between ages of 18-21?
I still love a very select few to pieces but most everything new I hear in old and new genres is just boring to me.
Pic related is one of the best metal records to me and THE coolest album cover in the world. The UN in the background, That's prolly just the /k/ in me though.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qR7U1HIhxfA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's not normal.

If you listen to early Sabbath/Blue Cheer and bands influenced by them, you probably won't outgrow the genre.

If you listen to later Sabbath, Maiden, the big 4 and the bands that they've influenced you'll probably outgrow it

It's not.

What you CAN outgrow is the illusion that you liked metal in the first place, as you find out that people don't think it's cool.

But if you liked metal you won't outgrow it. You'll just branch out into other genres and keep enjoying metal, and your tastes in metal itself will evolve.

Like,
>old and new genres
which ones?
Have you honestly given glam metal, gothic metal, groove metal and nu-metal a try?
How about smaller subgenres like caverncore, prog thrash and cyber metal?

Exactly. Metal will outgrow you at worst.

youtu.be/qR7U1HIhxfA

Not normal to outgrow metal in general, but I did outgrow certain kinds. I outgrew 90's Pantera pretty quick. I tried listening to them when I was 19 because I wanted to be cool but after a few months of listening to Anselmo bellow into a microphone I just stopped fighting my gut feeling and realized I couldn't stand it. For me metal just gets silly when they reach that level of extreme. I draw the line at 80's thrash metal like Burton era Metallica and pre Countdown Megadeth.

people's music taste just changes, it could be that you end up not liking it at all in a few years or after a few years of exploring other genres you might find yourself nostalgic for the metal you did listen to, or excited to hear new things. music preference isn't static

>Burton-era Metallica

How do you feel about ...And Justice For All? While it's very different to KEA, RTL & MOP, I still think it's their last good trve metal album.

First of all, the album doesn't even have bass on it, and even the enhanced versions of it where the bass is actually on there just isn't the same. You can hear in the music how different the band is on that album compared to MOP. You can tell they aren't the same people they were before.

>Is it normal to outgrow metal between ages of 18-21?

Thats the dumbest thing I've ever read. Its like asking "Is it normal to go through puberty?"

I think it is. I mean I haven't started "disliking" metal and I do still enjoy it from time to time but I don't have the desire to come back to it regularly.

So eunuchs like metal?

Metal is built on rebellion, edginess and attention seeking. Everything you want as a teenager and everything you learn to grow out of when becoming a more mature person. Of course its normal.

It is real, the reason it's a meme now is because it's a real thing that most people go through. Maybe if you live in Norway or Iceland or some shit

I want to argue with you, but I think you're too insecure to deal with someone disagreeing with you.

Give me you best shot, user.

>you best shot

bump

>If you listen to early Sabbath/Blue Cheer and bands influenced by them, you probably won't outgrow the genre.
>If you listen to later Sabbath, Maiden, the big 4 and the bands that they've influenced you'll probably outgrow it

Also true of Judas Priest. The early stuff you won't outgrow, the later stuff like Turbo and Painkiller you will outgrow.

>I outgrew 90's Pantera pretty quick. I tried listening to them when I was 19 because I wanted to be cool but after a few months of listening to Anselmo bellow into a microphone I just stopped fighting my gut feeling and realized I couldn't stand it. For me metal just gets silly when they reach that level of extreme

Go listen to Hatebreed if you want extreme. Now that's something nobody over 15 can take for very long.

IDK, they have some pretty silly songs on the early albums like The Ripper and Starbreaker.

I didn't outgrow it in general but my tastes in it changed a lot.
As a teenager I like a lot more extreme types of metal/subgenres like death metal and the like
Now I listen to Doom and Stoner metal for the most part with some aberrations here and there
I'm not saying those genres are better or more refined, but might appeal less to teens than the more extreme genres.

>tfw I grew into liking metal at 18
what the hell is happening to me

I wouldn't call it outgrow, as you will probably enjoy some of it. Your "taste" just broadened.

I think what people call outgrowing is just avoiding certain fashions associated with many genres, either to become more honest listeners and not be slaved to the stereotype or to follow another trend they percieve as more mature but they're basically doing the same; this seem to be the case with Sup Forums and most teens/young adults.

>hatebreed
>extreme
Pick one

I think you shouldn't really care if it's normal. If you stopped liking metal when you turned 19, that's that. It's music, not science, you don't need to conform to a universal standard.

>tfw you still like korn and sabbath
>turn maiden on every now and then
Everything else feels shitty, even if I listened to them in my edgy phase.

>is it normal to outgrow any form of music
This is all I can think of when I see stuff like this.

I'm fuckin' 30 and my tastes in metal are still evolving over time, and I don't believe it's something I'll ever really move away from. I knew from that moment when I first listened to AJFA that this is the sort of music I had been longing for all those years ago.

OP here, I don't think anyone who posted earlier is going to see this but in case anyone is checking back,-
I never meant to be pretentious or anything. Metal is great, like I said a few bands like pre 95 megadeth I basically worship.
But what I'm saying is I just feel like I hit a dead end, Never liked nu metal, and I never really quit liking metal because I no longer felt cool. My tastes changed is all.
I'm sure there are metal bands somewhere that I would fall in love with, but I just have not found one from the hundreds of bands I wouldn't like.
When I want heavy and loud I put on Dead Kennedys and the like, when I want intelligent lyrics I put on some dream pop or something. So what happened to me more or less is
I basically found other faucets that filled metal' niche in better ways to me.
All of your responses were important, I thinkI 'm going to revisit this subject.
Thank you all anons who were respectful in this tread.
I'm going back to my war-torn homeland on /k/ now, and I will tell them that Sup Forums 's people are at least somewhat not autistic and cool.
Have this waifu as a gift from /k/

You're a fucking poser.

ITT

>I will tell them that Sup Forums 's people are at least somewhat not autistic and cool.
don't do that, Sup Forums frontpage is pure autism, your thread was fine because its subject was very specific

but don't worry user, you will probably go back to metal once in a while, every genre gets stale after listening to it exclusively

how is metal related or unrelated to this? do numales have favorite genres?

yes, it is. it happened to me and a few friends of mine. not really "outgrowin" from it. in my case I just found more styles, music, artist and so. Still listening to it sometimes, but not like whe I was a teenager for sure (iron maiden 24/7)

>he thinks metal is acceptable to listen to after the age of 14
ahahahahahahaha

t. Tyler, 17. Favorite artists include death grips and grimes.

I forgot to mention. the people of my age (30) that got stick to metal are some kind of manchilds.
Example: arguin because a friend wont understand why you can't work with elder people wearing chains and cannibal corpse t-shirts.
>"bu-but that's my personality, it does not make me less proffesional"

The main reason i listen to metal is because i simply enjoy the sound of distorted guitars. Not sure if it's something i can outgrow.

Someday when today's 25 year olds are 80, it might be ok in fact the elderly then might even be wearing CC shirts.

This.

>when I want intelligent lyrics I put on some dream pop or something
Christ this thread reeks of insecure nu male indie kids and u just proved it there.

>bu-but that's my personality, it does not make me less proffesional
It's one of those things that people get as soon as they get a job they enjoy.

Lmao when I first started listening I thought I'd be another phase, but low and behold its been 2 years.

honestly I grew into metal at 18... before that I fucking hated it, but now I dig it

just listen to whatever you fucking want

To quote Jeff Waters, one of the more underrated metal guitarists: "If you 'grow out of metal', you've never really been into it."
If you outgrew metal, then it just isn't your type of music and I don't see anything wrong with that. Why do you even care if it is normal or not?