What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mSTSD2EhMUI
slantmagazine.com/music/review/animal-collective-painting-with
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

instead of making cool psych pop they made shitty overproduced childrens songs about florida and shit

>tfw you lived to see the day Deakin writing better music than Panda and Avey

not true btw
you can prefer SC to PW for a myriad of reasons, but the songwriting is definitely stronger on PW
it's a good album, children like you just think you know these people better than they know themselves. they're in a different space now, just chill, stop trying to paint them into a corner. i for one am glad they're still experimenting with every new album.

album is impossible to listen to because it all sounds like shitty commercial jingles which is the point but that doesn't make it good or ok

accurate

It's really quite simple
>they got rid of the level of effects on their instruments which was an important part of their sound, especially reverb
>they moved into more conventional song structure, removing the extended jamming sections they had on previous albums
>the production's too clean, which works against them as most of their best work soudns a bit messy

delete this shit

they tried something and we didnt like it :|
not much more to it

bagels in kiev
everything else is really good

In what world is the point of the album to sound shitty? Or to sound like commercial jingles?
I agree with you on the weirdness that is Sup Forums acting like they know each individual member of AC on a personal basis, but then again there's a lot of autism on here so it's not all that surprising.

and here comes the anco defense force

Sup Forums

Perfectly good songs that were hurt by not playing them live first and limiting themselves to a specific set of sounds for every song.
Still good but it could have been better with more varied instrumentation/percussion, or even just live drumming like on tour, and some extended songs. I can't even listen to the studio version of Natural Selection anymore knowing how good the live version is.

The Burglars is a 10/10 classic, some of it's berdy gud and the majority is shit

didn't this band used to completely suck live?

no you probably saw a meme video
most of their songs are better live

>no you probably saw a meme video
but...

depends on what you consider sucking. if you get mad because My Girls is a lot more stripped down live then you probably don't like the jammier aspects of the band

Nothing. It was a good album.

i like you

>wrong
and here comes the p4k/fantano/whatever drone :^)

this is a great album. it is unlike any of Animal Collective's past releases because it doesn't rely at all on soundscapy, drawn-out atmospheres. they are short pop tunes, but the lyrics' bouncy back-and-fourth style represent cubist imagery. one of my favs this year

these

This.

A friend and I were just recently gushing over how much we enjoy the track "Winter's Love" off of Sung Tongs:
youtu.be/mSTSD2EhMUI

After chatting about it, briefly, we both came to realize that a track like that has no place on an album like Painting With- amidst PW's tight run time and plethora of 3 minute songs with verse-chorus-verse structures, there's no room for cozy filler or extended jams.

This right here
All true

>verse-chorus-verse structures
[citation needed]

I feel so sad for them thinking about this record. It sounds like complete denial that things aren't completely rosy. The record sounds like someone forcing a huge fake smile when they should be hospitalized for suicidal thoughts. When you put a wheel in motion it spins for a long time and then turns only very slowly and then gradually comes to a stop. Painting With is just Animal Collective having come to a stop. I just doesn't sound very honest.

>h-hey guys. y-you didn't forget about me... right? i-i can be a meme too, if you want...

It's basically a conscious attempt to go a against their creative strengths seeing how they had apparently lost touch with that with Centipede Hz in order to break out of stagnation. They didn't break out of stagnation, they just ended up making an album that had less energy and integrity that Centipede Hz. The album is a complete failure on all levels. On a positive note, maybe this is a low they had to reach in order to promote more creative growth. Maybe this album will show them that they can't pretend anymore, and if they want to make music that brings true enjoyment to them and other people they'll have to go about it in a more realistic way, even if that means making music that isn't happy or poppy or fun. But one of the most disheartening things about the whole Painting With era is their complete apparent content for what they're doing, like nothing needs to change. Not sure if I buy that.

I really needed that album when it came out. Not amazing per say but it really lightened things up a little.

THIS ALBUM IS GREAT EVERYBODY SHUT UP ABOUT IT YOU JUST DONT GET IT WAIT UNTIL YOU A GROWN ASS MAN AGHHHHH ITS A GREAT ADDITION TO THE ANCO CANON

I can "get" a plainly bad pop album, thanks. It's actually possible for a good band to make a shit record.

Not him, but here's a citation

>None of the songs here try to steal attention from each other, they exist democratically—much like the front-to-back solid Ramones albums the band has cited as an influence. Gone are the noodling improv pieces and lengthy ambient interludes. Most tellingly, gone is the dense coating of reverb that's fogged over the band's sonics since at least 2005's Feels. Much like Dirty Projectors' Swing Lo Magellan, the focus is mostly on verse/chorus/verse structure

slantmagazine.com/music/review/animal-collective-painting-with

It's actually a positive review. I think the album is shit, though. Easily the worst album AnCo has ever made.

I really don't see how you fucks can call this a plain and boring pop album. They chop and arrange the vocal parts into call and responses, which are given their own patterns on a track by track basis. I have literally never heard anything like this. It's catchy and alien, and fun to sing along to because, for me, it took quite a few listens to pinpoint the exact vocal patterns they had going on. Plus if you read up on the interviews around PW you'll note they were discussing cubism in the studio, and I don't think I've ever heard music which approaches vocals and synthesizers from such an angular, geometric perspective. I don't want to be the retard who says this will be hailed as a masterpiece in 10 years, but I really hope people look back on it with the respect it deserves.

it's interesting conceptually and partially in execution as well but a majority of the actual song structures and melodies are painfully mediocre

In ten years it will be seen as that iconic "bad album" that a band never wants to return to. The album deserves respect in that it's the quintessential depiction of that point that an artist never wants to reach. If Animal Collective get back on their creative game after this album (which I'm hoping for) then Painting With will deserve respect for being the album that showed them how much they needed to change the way they went about approaching music. It will potentially deserve respect for launching them into a more effortless state of creative growth.

You just said, "Painting With isn't bad; It's Painting With!"