ITT: great albums that just make you sing along

ITT: great albums that just make you sing along

on avery island

distressor

This

Nigger

honestly pic related, I've never sang along as much as i am every time i listen to this album while driving

Fleet foxes are the sound of absolute neutral indifference. I know this is presumptuous, but if anyone claims to get anything strongly out of the album I just assume they arent very creative or interesting, I have no idea how you can call the sound of passive indifference refledted by sugary and forgettable folkpop "good" on any level past "pleasantly forgettable".

Is this a meme?

There is a strong, elegantly posed theme to Helplessness Blues: the conflict between the person you've defined yourself as in the past and the person you hope to become in the future.

The album opens with "So now I am older than my mother and father when they had their daughter. Now what does that say about me?" Robin Pecknold is posing a most fundamentally human question: am I proud of my life? The rest of the album contains scenes of reflection and regret ("The borrower's debt is the only regret of my youth", "And I still see you when I try to sleep") and of hopeful futures ("If I had an orchard, I'd work till I'm raw ... You would wait tables and soon run the store").

As the album progresses, Pecknold lures us into this colorful world he's created. Along with the vivid, descriptive lyrics, we get lush orchestration on every song. Pecknold repeatedly mentions the mythical Isle of Innisfree, immortalized by WB Yeats in his poem "Lake Isle of Innisfree." Yeats' isle is a place of sweet memory and inner peace, whose natural purity he yearns for from his "pavements grey". Pecknold likewise conjures up visions of idealized natural beauty, and in "The Shrine/An Argument" his haunting melody and pitch-perfect harmonies seem to "carry [us] to Innisfree like pollen on the breeze." But this dream world is not the sickly-sweet orchestral climax we might have imagined--just the opposite, we get two minutes of saxophonic chaos. Pecknold signals us that this idealistic dreaming is untenable, that we need to reevaluate our priorities and realign our perspective ("Blue Spotted Tail").

In the album's emotional coup de egrat, Pecknold sings,
>I will see you someday when I've woken
>I'll be so happy just to have spoken
>I'll have so much to tell you about it then ("Grown Ocean")
This is an optimistic vision of the future, one where he'll no longer be shackled by the burden of the past, but free to grow into the man he's always dreamed of becoming.

See this is what I mean. Fleet fox fans are the type to write out a blog post that talks about how "beautiful" or "vivid" it is while not really actually offering any insight, or any valueable ones at least.

Those lyrics don't mean what you think they mean either. In fact, that first one doesn't even mean anything, it just sounds pretty. In reality these are all either nonsensical or dreadfully unimaginative considering pecknold is a limpwristed city fag that makes escapist music romanticizing the country when he probably has never set foot in the country. Dishonest isnt really the word. While it is dishonest its also terribly unimaginative and like I said lukewarm piss water.

People who hate this album have literally never been to the woods in Appalachia in the spring when it's still cold but also is warming up.
I'm projecting hardcore but it always reminds me of hiking trips with my granddad in the Smokies every April.

Also this seems like for the same type of people who thought the alchemist was a good book

>t. autist

Is this a pasta?

People who like this album have never lived in the Appalachian mountains in the winter, either. They are just urban fags projecting an escapist image they've created out of le nature. Its just bad and unimaginative music. Making all of his covers shitty bruegel only confirms how faux artistic this band is, "art" music for the uncreative and unartistic.

Take this. You earned it, champ.

>t. autistic cityslicker who hasn't left his room in months

I'm trying to treat the material I have in front of me seriously. It sure is easy to declare yourself the winner when you don't even bother responding to my argument. You have no idea whether or not he really loves nature, and that's a moot point anyway since we're talking about OUR interpretation and experience of the music. And if you'd actually read what I wrote you'd see that what you call dishonest and unimaginative is actually a call for a return to the sincerity you accuse it of lacking. Which is pretty ironic of you desu

If assuming as much makes you feel like you've claimed more authenticity in your shit "analysis" whilst also debunking mine.

(not true, by the way)- I spent a few years in a ruski mountain "folk town" as my grandparents own a piece of the land and i am ruski myself. People there see shit like fleet foxes as passive ignorance, because it is, its just escapidt romanticism, not really tasteful one at that either

Sure buddy I believe you :^)

Its not authentic. Its not sincere, it reads exactly like what it is, a city kid pretending he is le wondrous nature man.

Pecknold isnt a good songwriter, so im not surprised everyone has their own interpretation, its just bad songwriting.

Strange you believe pecknold half assed indifferent escapeism but don't believe my own words. Its just weird. People are weird. Maybe it's easier to beloeve dingenuine shit that flaunts about nothing to say with faux artistic rings to it.

Well see even if hes faking it I can feel emotion when I listen to that album so I can reminisce and think on my own experiences
With you I'm just getting airs of autism and faux-intellectualism so sorry budrow but i don't believe you

You would have a much better argument if you actually used evidence from the music itself. All you're saying now is "I don't like it so it's bad" and while you're entitled to that opinion, you're not convincing anyone.

Something tells me you haven't even listened to it since it came out five years ago, you heard all the buzz and acclaim surrounding it, and decided to dislike it on principle.

>Faux-intellectualism

not sure how- its not like I have a thesaurus open .

W/E, if you like it that's cool. Music is subjective. I just really don't care for it.

YOU WENT TO L'AMOUR
SATURDAY NIGHT
RED NAILS AND LIPSTICK DRESSED TWO SIZES TOO TIGHT

Its not like anyone itt has made a single valid pro argument either. There was that one half assed post that went on forever but didn't really say anything valid either, but that's it. Not gonna write a blog post either desu

I "like it", I've said it multiple times, its pleasant- for what it is- which is semicompetent folkpop. Its in the same tier as Mumford and sons, its just pleasant and harmless but not very ambitious or insightful either. It has always struck me as odd thst people for some reason seperate the two

I can respect that. I just don't appreciate objective statements about albums because as you said it's subjective
It's cool tho we all like different things I get it

>coup de egrat

Oh right the analysis of themes and motifs with direct quotes is invalid because you disagree, and you won't explain why you disagree because you don't wanna. Got it.

>Its in the same tier as Mumford and sons, its just pleasant and harmless but not very ambitious or insightful either.
At this point I'm pretty sure I'm being baited.

I'm so tired of this. Do I really have to specifically put a disclaimer "this is my opinion. This is not a fact" before any criticism or even passing comments like I did itt? "That car is blue. That dog is 3 feet long." These are objective. When talking about any "art", it is always subjective. Its fucking retarded to ever nkt automatically assume otherwise

I love this record, and think it might actually be underrated. Maybe my AOTD.

You guys can think whatever. The dude refusing to respond to some actual concrete statements about the lyrics just comes across as kind of dumb and lazy though.

IF I HAD AN ORCHAAAARRRRRRRD

Guys, this dude shows up in nearly every thread that Fleet Foxes are mentioned and repeats the same tired criticisms that are easily discounted, and then refuses to acknowledge them.

Just ignore him.

>escapist music romanticizing the country

Holy moly you're a fucking retard.

I can maybe understand seeing that in the first album, but Robin has said on multiple occasions that the lyrics there were largely just used for aesthetic and weren't done with much intent beyond celebrating the folk music he liked himself.

But still, that doesn't exist in any form in Helplessness Blues. Do you think he actually wants to own a fucking orchard you obtuse cunt?

Reminder.

This
Also pick related